I was wondering if this could be done in Daz

Ricktor

Jun 13, 2017
I'm sorry I have lost the video to help with the explanation, but I will try to describe it from memory. Basically a guy took a photo of a plant in his yard, loaded it on his pc, went into Daz and created a plane of some sort, and made the picture appear in that plane. Then he used his action figure character in Daz, placed it in front of the plane, he changed the dimensions of the plane to take up the whole viewport, and now it looked like this character was in a land of huge plants. So that is where the idea came from...now my question.

The scene, or appearance I was trying to accomplish, was to have a security camera take a picture of someone in a interrogation room at a police office. (That could be my saved render on the pc). Then in another scene I would like some detectives to be "watching " the security feed on a laptop. (It probably should be a cvtv screen, but all I have for a asset is a laptop. ) But is there a way to take the first render and load it onto a plane like the guy did with his plant, and then instead of making it real big, make it real small and position it in front of the laptop so it looks like the scene is playing on the laptop? I wish I could find that video again, so I could play around with the idea, but I have lost it, and I would not have the slightest idea where to start without it. I would be interested in any input at all. Thanks everyone! The original guy did everything in Daz studio, and that is why it drew me to the idea. I don't have photoshop, or blender or even know how to use them if I did, so this appealed to me.

Edit: I just remembered, the guy said he was creating either a new primitive, or primary, or something like that....if that helps.

Last edited:

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I'm sorry I have lost the video to help with the explanation, but I will try to describe it from memory. Basically a guy took a photo of a plant in his yard, loaded it on his pc, went into Daz and created a plane of some sort, and made the picture appear in that plane. Then he used his action figure character in Daz, placed it in front of the plane, he changed the dimensions of the plane to take up the whole viewport, and now it looked like this character was in a land of huge plants. So that is where the idea came from...now my question.

The scene, or appearance I was trying to accomplish, was to have a security camera take a picture of someone in a interrogation room at a police office. (That could be my saved render on the pc). Then in another scene I would like some detectives to be "watching " the security feed on a laptop. (It probably should be a cvtv screen, but all I have for a asset is a laptop. ) But is there a way to take the first render and load it onto a plane like the guy did with his plant, and then instead of making it real big, make it real small and position it in front of the laptop so it looks like the scene is playing on the laptop? I wish I could find that video again, so I could play around with the idea, but I have lost it, and I would not have the slightest idea where to start without it. I would be interested in any input at all. Thanks everyone! The original guy did everything in Daz studio, and that is why it drew me to the idea. I don't have photoshop, or blender or even know how to use them if I did, so this appealed to me.

Edit: I just remembered, the guy said he was creating either a new primitive, or primary, or something like that....if that helps.
Easy, create, new primitive, plane, and in parameters make it the same size as the laptop screen and apply the image in surfaces tab. If rendered out at 1920x1080 it fits fine. (right)

Better way if you use photoshop or whatever is to just put it on the laptop screen surface. (left)
laptop.jpg

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
I tend to agree it's probably easier to add the image in a graphics editor like Photoshop, rather than Daz. But then, I'm reasonably familiar with PS and hardly familiar with Daz... so I would say that.

If access to or price of PS is the issue... Just use ... it's free and does the vast majority of things that PS does in mostly the same ways.

The advantage to Daz is that as long as you set it up correctly, you'll see reflections and lighting effects on the laptop screen than would be difficult to do in PS. In effect you're just creating a flat box (primitive) and sticking a picture to the front of it (the images+surface tab that mickydoo talks about)... then using that in front of the laptop screen so it looks like the image is on the screen. I would imagine (I don't use Daz really) that most good laptop assets, the actually screen area allows you to change it's own surface image anyway, without creating a primitive of your own.

Lewdpanda95

Sep 9, 2018
Watch in the surfaces tab of the laptop. Most likely the artist already has the screen as a seperate surface. Chose your image as Base and Emission base color and play around with the base glossy and emission parameters. If your picture doesn't line up check the geometry parameters.

Last edited:

Ricktor

Jun 13, 2017
Easy, create, new primitive, plane, and in parameters make it the same size as the laptop screen and apply the image in surfaces tab. If rendered out at 1920x1080 it fits fine. (right)

Better way if you use photoshop or whatever is to just put it on the laptop screen surface. (left)
View attachment 632268
Thank you so much...this is really cool. I'm very new to Daz studio and I am having a lot of fun with it. I had to do something to keep my brain from turning to much. This virus pandemic has given me a lot of time on my hands.

Ricktor

Jun 13, 2017
I tend to agree it's probably easier to add the image in a graphics editor like Photoshop, rather than Daz. But then, I'm reasonably familiar with PS and hardly familiar with Daz... so I would say that.

If access to or price of PS is the issue... Just use ... it's free and does the vast majority of things that PS does in mostly the same ways.

The advantage to Daz is that as long as you set it up correctly, you'll see reflections and lighting effects on the laptop screen than would be difficult to do in PS. In effect you're just creating a flat box (primitive) and sticking a picture to the front of it (the images+surface tab that mickydoo talks about)... then using that in front of the laptop screen so it looks like the image is on the screen. I would imagine (I don't use Daz really) that most good laptop assets, the actually screen area allows you to change it's own surface image anyway, without creating a primitive of your own.
Hmmmm, I actually have Gimp. I never got into it much as I was trying to use it to change some stuff in Skyrim but never had much luck. Maybe it's time to take another look! Thanks for the reply!

Ricktor

Jun 13, 2017
Watch in the surfaces tab of the laptop. Most likely the artist already has the screen as a seperate surface. Chose your image as Base and Emission base color and play around with the base glossy and emission parameters. If your picture doesn't line up check the geometry parameters.
Thank you for the ideas...and yes the screen shows up in the hierarchy if that is what you mean. Now I'm going to start playing around with it. I have a feeling I've just scratched the surface to what this program can do.