iClone 7 crashes when exporting .fbx for Unity or Unreal Engine [solved]

DillyD

Dec 22, 2019
I'm trying to export a basic avatar that comes with iClone 7 for use in Unreal Engine, but every time I try to export, iClone crashes. I've managed to export successfully using the Maya preset, but using the Unreal/Unity presets crashes iClone.

I'm using iClone 7.7 which I obtained

I found a about this issue which states the issue occurs when using the trial version of iClone and is fixed with the Pro version. However, the version I downloaded from the link above is listed as the Pro version, and after following the instructions in the readme (cracking and blocking in firewall) I still get the message "You have 29 days remaining on this trial period" when attempting to export. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling several times, as well as trying different versions of iClone obtained elsewhere, but no matter what it seems I cannot get the trial message to disappear.

So, I guess my question is: Has anyone who has obtained iClone non-legitimately been able to get it out of trial mode? I'm pretty sure I've followed instructions correctly so I don't know why it's not working. Alternatively, if trial mode can't be bypassed, is there a way I can get it to export characters using the Unreal .fbx preset without it crashing?

Might be a bit of an obscure question but if anyone has any knowledge here and could help me out I would really appreciate it

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I have a non-legitimate iClone (7.6) installed but not using it (yet). Tried with the basic model (Facial Demo) and an imported g8f model, both exported well as fbx with Unity/Unreal preset. No messages while exporting. Got Mine on 3D load iirc. Maybe uninstall & clean your registry, and install again.

Reactions: DillyD

DillyD

Dec 22, 2019
I uninstalled, wiped my registry and grabbed the version from 3d-load and everything is exporting properly now with no trial message. I suspect i hadn't cleaned my registry thoroughly enough before reinstalling.

Thanks for your help!

androm3dart

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
I might be late here, but I wanna know how do you clean registry? What entries do I need to delete? I am unable to export anything from iclone. Had done everything but just unable to export since it shows trial version.

DillyD

Dec 22, 2019
I might be late here, but I wanna know how do you clean registry? What entries do I need to delete? I am unable to export anything from iclone. Had done everything but just unable to export since it shows trial version.
Don't know if you figured it out already, but you can use CCleaner to clean your registry, that's what worked for me.

androm3dart

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Don't know if you figured it out already, but you can use CCleaner to clean your registry, that's what worked for me.
Thats exactly what I did. But exporting animation to bvh and importing to G8 is not working. The animations are totally messed up. How do you do it? I mean export g8 to iclone, animate it and then import animation to daz.

DillyD

Dec 22, 2019
In truth, the only thing I have used iClone for is getting my genesis 8 character into Unreal engine and retargeting the skeleton to work with some default Unreal animations. Beyond that I don't think I can help you. Maybe you can find some tutorial on youtube?

androm3dart

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Thanks for the reply, but from what I searched on google and youtube, it is basically next to impossible to make it work. So, I have given it up. I dont even want to animate on iclone, but wanted to try the kinect mocap on iclone, and then export animation from it. But I guess its not possible for genesis 8.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Thats exactly what I did. But exporting animation to bvh and importing to G8 is not working. The animations are totally messed up. How do you do it? I mean export g8 to iclone, animate it and then import animation to daz.
I've done some of the same experimentation. I haven't gotten far into it, but what seems to be happening (for me) is that iClone isn't handling the G8 "twist" bones correctly. You may or may not know that the arms and legs in G8 (and G3) are two part - one bone that does "front back" and "bend" and a second bone that does "twist". What seems to be happening (for me) is that iClone is applying some or all of the twist to the non-twist bone. When imported back into DS, that doesn't get brought in, since DS won't let that bone twist. The result is that the arms and legs are mispositioned. Someone gave me a utility that seems to fix that, but it doesn't work very well - I think I'm going to try to write one of my own.

androm3dart

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
I've done some of the same experimentation. I haven't gotten far into it, but what seems to be happening (for me) is that iClone isn't handling the G8 "twist" bones correctly. You may or may not know that the arms and legs in G8 (and G3) are two part - one bone that does "front back" and "bend" and a second bone that does "twist". What seems to be happening (for me) is that iClone is applying some or all of the twist to the non-twist bone. When imported back into DS, that doesn't get brought in, since DS won't let that bone twist. The result is that the arms and legs are mispositioned. Someone gave me a utility that seems to fix that, but it doesn't work very well - I think I'm going to try to write one of my own.
Well, I knew it had something to do with the extra twist bones of G3 and G8. I thought of using my old kinect (which is eating dust) as a mocap device and try to make some animations. But I gave up since it was not working. I know programming but I don't think I will be able to write something of my own.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Well, I knew it had something to do with the extra twist bones of G3 and G8. I thought of using my old kinect (which is eating dust) as a mocap device and try to make some animations. But I gave up since it was not working. I know programming but I don't think I will be able to write something of my own.
If I get something working on the iClone front, I'll try to remember to ping you. Feel free to PM me in a while to see if I've made any progress...