ID this 3D game, can't recall the title.

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
You have 2 or 3 people to choose from.
I think illusion made this game, and it involves a beach.

The 2 or 3 characters you can choose from are life like. They literally took real people and took pictures of them entirely so the skin on the model is as life like as it gets albeit there is no texture on the in game model aside from nipples.

It's set in a beach environment and this game was just a demo which had then turned into a huge flop that was never picked up again.

You can choose from 10-20 different positions and that's about it.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
You have 2 or 3 people to choose from.
I think illusion made this game, and it involves a beach.

The 2 or 3 characters you can choose from are life like. They literally took real people and took pictures of them entirely so the skin on the model is as life like as it gets albeit there is no texture on the in game model aside from nipples.

It's set in a beach environment and this game was just a demo which had then turned into a huge flop that was never picked up again.

You can choose from 10-20 different positions and that's about it.
Real Kanojo?

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
Real Kanojo?
No. This game was made 2-3 years ago if not a tad more. It was a flop as in a failure. They were going to introduce a third character but didn't bother. It's just a demo at this point I think. It's just the 1 character available that can be used that looks ultra realistic.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
No. This game was made 2-3 years ago if not a tad more. It was a flop as in a failure. They were going to introduce a third character but didn't bother. It's just a demo at this point I think. It's just the 1 character available that can be used that looks ultra realistic.
The link I gave you was wrong. Google "Real Kanonjo". I'm pretty sure that's the game you're looking for.

Reactions: uradamus

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
I tend to agree with @jerricho13, Real Kanojo seems like the most obvious fit. It had 3 girls, it was the first game that Illusion really tried to sell the realism thing, and it never really seemed to get anywhere near the same level of attention as most of their other games. Here is a list of Illusion games if you want to go through them yourself:

Reactions: Papa Ernie

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
I tend to agree with @jerricho13, Real Kanojo seems like the most obvious fit. It had 3 girls, it was the first game that Illusion really tried to sell the realism thing, and it never really seemed to get anywhere near the same level of attention as most of their other games. Here is a list of Illusion games if you want to go through them yourself:
It isn't that. The location was on an island and this game came out a few years ago. I already looked at the list and it's not on there. I do know that the game was WIP and that they gave up on it.
I'm not entirely sure if it's an illusion game but if I find out what the name is then I'll report back.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Real Konojo came out in 2010, totally different game then the recent VR game that was linked to above. I haven't played it, but it definitely has an outdoor scene that could be on a beach, as I've seen screenshots of it with the girls outdoors in bathing suits. You can see a few of them here:

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
Real Konojo came out in 2010, totally different game then the recent VR game that was linked to above. I haven't played it, but it definitely has an outdoor scene that could be on a beach, as I've seen screenshots of it with the girls outdoors in bathing suits. You can see a few of them here:
I found it. The game is called playgirls

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Hmm, can't say I agree that they look all that realistic; the materials are pretty crap with a very flat look to them. They did seem to use 3D scanning to capture base geometry and textures, but they did a poor job of cleaning the textures up and the rigging isn't that great. It basically looks like it could be a stripped down Sexy Beach demo with a realistic face model and photo texture mod tossed in. I'd actually be surprised if that wasn't petty much exactly what it is in fact, just with those bits built in rather than 3rd party mods, heh.

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
Hmm, can't say I agree that they look all that realistic; the materials are pretty crap with a very flat look to them. They did seem to use 3D scanning to capture base geometry and textures, but they did a poor job of cleaning the textures up and the rigging isn't that great. It basically looks like it could be a stripped down Sexy Beach demo with a realistic face model and photo texture mod tossed in. I'd actually be surprised if that wasn't petty much exactly what it is in fact, just with those bits built in rather than 3rd party mods, heh.
I did mention that in my OP but I did have difficulty expressing it that the texture was photographed. There is actual 3d texture. From what I recall, it's not just the face but they seem to have photographed the entire body.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Ya, they definitely did, you can tell when you look at those elbows, since they clearly had the girls hyper straighten their arms during the scanning/photography, causing those ugly folds on either side of the elbow regardless of what angle the arm is bent at. That was the main thing I meant when I said they did a poor job of cleaning up the textures. Those should have been removed or at least toned down a lot more than they were, it just shows they still didn't know what they were doing at the time, heh. I have a feeling they probably scanned the girls while wearing micro-bikinis or pasties, because - as you mentioned - the nipple coloring looks painted on. Considering the censorship laws, there's a good chance the crotch is all wrong too under those mosaics, heh.

If I had to guess, based on screenshots, they probably took some stock body model they had on hand, probably from a Sexy Beach game or something, and fitted it to the 3D scan data. Then probably baked the skin from the scan to their model. They might have possibly hand retopo'd the faces and again baked the texture from the scan. The faces really seemed like they were out of place with the rest of the model and that was were the rigging/weighting was clearly the worst.

As far as I can tell, they didn't seem to be using any normal maps, nor subsurface scattering (SSS). Those were what gave them that flat mannequin feel in the images/videos I saw when looking it up. Which again tends to back up the idea that the models were probably dumped into a stripped down Sexy Beach build.

The other big thing that ruined the believability was the static hair meshes. It was really obvious in the screenshots of the one girl with long hair, as it didn't even attempt to conform to her body. It's a shame really, as that prototype seemed like it could have a lot of potential, if only because of the scanned models.

Reactions: Krosos