Idea for a game

CuriousWonder

Nov 29, 2022
So, I had the idea not to long ago of making a text based game with HTML that revolves around your character at which you choose at the start with the option of being either the classic hero or the demon king/queen (choose gender as well).

The basic idea is you get the ability to morph allies and enemies to fullfil different roles and abilities with different transformation granting different abilities. The base concept is the standard hero's party goes fight the demon army but if you choose demon King/Queen you go around raiding and converting your opponents into demons.

And I'm curious if they would be a big enough desire for it. Transformation would be wide in variety range from cat ears and tentacles to full bimbofication and of course mind control.

Also, if I did make this game would it be a good idea to start in HTML and if it gets enough attention switch to ren'py as I would add art depending on how well it does? If gets some attention then maybe I'd get commissions for art of characters and their transformations.

whizwart

Apr 11, 2022
I've heard of worse ideas. My only note would be probably to commit to an engine. I know it seems simple, but a lot of projects lose audience on an engine switch, not to mention the learning cure for the dev. Best of luck.

Reactions: CuriousWonder

CuriousWonder

Nov 29, 2022
I've heard of worse ideas. My only note would be probably to commit to an engine. I know it seems simple, but a lot of projects lose audience on an engine switch, not to mention the learning cure for the dev. Best of luck.
Yeah. Unfortunately, as mentioned I don't have the talent for the amount of art I'd need for Ren'Py which from what I know is one of the easiest engines to make games on. So, HTML sounds like the best option unless I get a better recommendation regarding an engine that would let me add images in as I develope the game.

That way I can avoid spending a thousand plus on art only to not have enough people check it out to make it worthwhile.

Also, thanks. I appreciate the advice.

Reactions: whizwart

whizwart

Apr 11, 2022
Yeah. Unfortunately, as mentioned I don't have the talent for the amount of art I'd need for Ren'Py which from what I know is one of the easiest engines to make games on. So, HTML sounds like the best option unless I get a better recommendation regarding an engine that would let me add images in as I develope the game.

That way I can avoid spending a thousand plus on art only to not have enough people check it out to make it worthwhile.

No problem. Just work with what you're comfortable with and what keeps you motivated.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017

If you want to do it in renpy, do it in renpy. Don't start in one engine and switch later. Anything you can do in html, you can do in renpy. Just customize it the way you want it.

Jalin

Feb 8, 2023
Honestly? The best thing you can do is give it a go. I'd recommend doing a quick experiment with TWINE. Write a few dozen passages, use some art you grab from around the net if you want. Stick to a simple test of the idea...and see if you have fun. If it ends up being more frustrating than fun, at least you'll know. If it does end up being fun, you can figure out where to go from there.

Lewd Asshole

Dec 18, 2022
The base concept is the standard hero's party goes fight the demon army but if you choose demon King/Queen you go around raiding and converting your opponents into demons
So essentially two games in one? Double the work, updates come out half as fast.

start in HTML and if it gets enough attention switch to ren'py
Terrific, now it's quadruple the work.

Sounds good, though.
Doubt it would get very far but that's me being a jaded asshole, feel free to prove wrong.
And HTML is superior to Ren'py.

CuriousWonder

Nov 29, 2022
So essentially two games in one? Double the work, updates come out half as fast.

Terrific, now it's quadruple the work.

Sounds good, though.
Doubt it would get very far but that's me being a jaded asshole, feel free to prove wrong.
And HTML is superior to Ren'py.

I'll try. Honestly why I'd start my first game in HTML since it sounds easy to work with from what I can tell and also is great if you want to go the text based route.

In regards to the to games in one issue. It would actually play out the same just instead of fighting a monster with a heal bar it would be two armies with a health bar and maybe an special individual or group for you to tackle as the demon king/queen.

I.e. your army attacks a city and well your army fights them you site back waiting for the city captain of the guard or maybe you Juno into the fray right out of the gate.