Daz Ideal GPU for Daz3D renders (Visual Novel)

BlazingBob

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2020
Hello guys! I was just wondering if an EVGA RTX 3060 XC (Dual) would be good enough for Daz3D rendering? Thanks!

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Not sure what you mean by (Dual)? But if you can get a good deal on two 3060? Sure, I guess. EVGA is one of the better brands, ASUS TUF/Strix are also good ones to look out for. Don't know if the Strix line is for lower-end cards, though.

But if you're looking to make a visual novel, then you might want to up your budget to a 12GB variant of a 3080 (there's a whole ass argument in the developer subforum on this, but a 3080 has done me fine.) - if you can, of course. Hard to answer without knowing your financial maximum. If you can stretch your budget, a 3080 or 3070ti would likely serve you a lot better than a 3060.

Reactions: BlazingBob

BlazingBob

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2020
Not sure what you mean by (Dual)? But if you can get a good deal on two 3060? Sure, I guess. EVGA is one of the better brands, ASUS TUF/Strix are also good ones to look out for. Don't know if the Strix line is for lower-end cards, though.

But if you're looking to make a visual novel, then you might want to up your budget to a 12GB variant of a 3080 (there's a whole ass argument in the developer subforum on this, but a 3080 has done me fine.) - if you can, of course. Hard to answer without knowing your financial maximum. If you can stretch your budget, a 3080 or 3070ti would likely serve you a lot better than a 3060.
Hello and thank you so much for responding! What I meant by Dual was that it had two fans, sorry for the confusion (I don't know too much about PC parts). Would definitely look into upgrading when I have the chance! Thanks

BlazingBob

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2020

And also, idk if this helps but I've found the exact specs of my GPU. It's eVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC 12GB GDDR6. Is that good enough?

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
And also, idk if this helps but I've found the exact specs of my GPU. It's eVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC 12GB GDDR6. Is that good enough?
Some will argue that VRAM is more important than anything else, and for a card like this, that stands true. While it only has 3000 or so CUDA cores to the 3080's 9000 or so, cuda cores are irrelevant without enough VRAM to your scene on the GPU (see . And probably .). At the end of the day, though, if the 3060 is all you can afford then get it. You'll be able to render in Daz with it for sure, but you might just have to take the time to learn how to optimize your scenes a little more than you otherwise would. I'd let some other people throw their two cents in, though, just for some variety in opinion.

RooneyCZ

Mar 28, 2022
Im running 3060 12G from gigabyte. It is passable. But the whole PC is important..i dont know what you are running beside the graphics card, but in my opinion at leats 32 gigs of ram are also necessary...I was able to render with 16, but i had several crashes because of running out of th RAM.
Also, what motherboard are you running? If you are upgrading from older setup - do you have PCIe 4.0? the RTX can run od 3.0 PCIe, but there are some bottlenecks...(this is highly debated, as some say that larger bottlenecks occur for other reasons)
And of course, check that you have power supply with enough watts for the GPU
In overall - go for it. If you can afford better, do it, but in the end, invest in the whole PC.
And as my 2 cents on the using such setup for VN renders - be carefull what to expect. Renders are typically 10-30 mins each, depending of the scene in my case. Forget the animations, if you dont have the dedicated rendering machine. You can do it, but it takes for ages to render enough frames...even as you can interpolate frames with optical flow in Adobe Premiere, and get away with less frames in the daz render, it isnt ideal. With propper lighting and render settings, you can get decent amount of renders per day, but you need to prepare the scenes...
Anyway, good luck. Im taking this fight as well, and I quickly discovered why it takes ages for devs to give us an update on their VNs :-D

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
Not sure what you mean by (Dual)?
it means Dual-Fan
EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC GAMING, 12G-P5-3657-KR, 12GB GDDR6, Dual-Fan, Metal Backplate

but I would buy what you can afford right now because we don't know how long they will be available if they ran out of them then you have to wait and for price for them as well or you can wait for the 40 series to come out

BlazingBob

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2020
Some will argue that VRAM is more important than anything else, and for a card like this, that stands true. While it only has 3000 or so CUDA cores to the 3080's 9000 or so, cuda cores are irrelevant without enough VRAM to your scene on the GPU (see . And probably .). At the end of the day, though, if the 3060 is all you can afford then get it. You'll be able to render in Daz with it for sure, but you might just have to take the time to learn how to optimize your scenes a little more than you otherwise would. I'd let some other people throw their two cents in, though, just for some variety in opinion.
Thank you so much for the help!

BlazingBob

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2020
Im running 3060 12G from gigabyte. It is passable. But the whole PC is important..i dont know what you are running beside the graphics card, but in my opinion at leats 32 gigs of ram are also necessary...I was able to render with 16, but i had several crashes because of running out of th RAM.
Also, what motherboard are you running? If you are upgrading from older setup - do you have PCIe 4.0? the RTX can run od 3.0 PCIe, but there are some bottlenecks...(this is highly debated, as some say that larger bottlenecks occur for other reasons)
And of course, check that you have power supply with enough watts for the GPU
In overall - go for it. If you can afford better, do it, but in the end, invest in the whole PC.
And as my 2 cents on the using such setup for VN renders - be carefull what to expect. Renders are typically 10-30 mins each, depending of the scene in my case. Forget the animations, if you dont have the dedicated rendering machine. You can do it, but it takes for ages to render enough frames...even as you can interpolate frames with optical flow in Adobe Premiere, and get away with less frames in the daz render, it isnt ideal. With propper lighting and render settings, you can get decent amount of renders per day, but you need to prepare the scenes...
Anyway, good luck. Im taking this fight as well, and I quickly discovered why it takes ages for devs to give us an update on their VNs :-D
Thanks so much, man! I appreciate the help!

BlazingBob

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2020
it means Dual-Fan
EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC GAMING, 12G-P5-3657-KR, 12GB GDDR6, Dual-Fan, Metal Backplate

but I would buy what you can afford right now because we don't know how long they will be available if they ran out of them then you have to wait and for price for them as well or you can wait for the 40 series to come out
Gonna have to save up then! Thank you!

8InchFloppyDick

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2020
In my opinion only the two M's matter with regards to purchasing decisions for gfx cards and DAZ.

1. Money
If you have enough budget, then just fork out for the biggest and best. If you have a limited amount of money prefer Memory over CUDA cores. If you have even less money buy the mid or top end 2nd hand cards of a few generations back. Also keep in mind that energy prices have started to spiral out of control. Doing a lot of renders on a 'beefy' card will hit your wallet.

2. Memory
More memory will allow you to render scenes with more characters and other stuff in them. This can help you do more interesting scenes to support your VN text. I'd say 8Gb is the minimum for a decent workflow at 1920x1080 with 3-6 characters in a complex scene. if you're clever and use Scene Optimiser and a few other tricks like reducing the pixel dimensions of your renders, 4Gb is 'workable'. I did it for a while but was rendering max 3 characters in a scene at 1280x549 (21:9) which for today's 4/8K pixel-fetishists is laughable.

Finally, if you care for my bargain-bin recommendation, I'd say look into the Quadro M5000. It has become relatively cheap on Ebay. It has 8Gb of ram. In a well-ventilated case it never shows thermal throttling due to its large fan and will thus run at 'boost speed' all the time when rendering. Also, due to the large blower fan it's whisper quiet even at full load. All of this while 'only' pulling 135-150W measured at the wall.

BlazingBob

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2020
In my opinion only the two M's matter with regards to purchasing decisions for gfx cards and DAZ.

1. Money
If you have enough budget, then just fork out for the biggest and best. If you have a limited amount of money prefer Memory over CUDA cores. If you have even less money buy the mid or top end 2nd hand cards of a few generations back. Also keep in mind that energy prices have started to spiral out of control. Doing a lot of renders on a 'beefy' card will hit your wallet.

2. Memory
More memory will allow you to render scenes with more characters and other stuff in them. This can help you do more interesting scenes to support your VN text. I'd say 8Gb is the minimum for a decent workflow at 1920x1080 with 3-6 characters in a complex scene. if you're clever and use Scene Optimiser and a few other tricks like reducing the pixel dimensions of your renders, 4Gb is 'workable'. I did it for a while but was rendering max 3 characters in a scene at 1280x549 (21:9) which for today's 4/8K pixel-fetishists is laughable.

Finally, if you care for my bargain-bin recommendation, I'd say look into the Quadro M5000. It has become relatively cheap on Ebay. It has 8Gb of ram. In a well-ventilated case it never shows thermal throttling due to its large fan and will thus run at 'boost speed' all the time when rendering. Also, due to the large blower fan it's whisper quiet even at full load. All of this while 'only' pulling 135-150W measured at the wall.
Thanks for the recommendations! I currently have 32gb of RAM and the aforementioned RTX 3060. I have just tested Daz and it was fine but the render quality is not the best (pretty sure this can be fixed by certain settings that I am not familiar with). I would probably have to stick to Honey Select 2 for now, until I am able to upgrade my system. Once again, thanks for the help!!

RooneyCZ

Mar 28, 2022
Thanks for the recommendations! I currently have 32gb of RAM and the aforementioned RTX 3060. I have just tested Daz and it was fine but the render quality is not the best (pretty sure this can be fixed by certain settings that I am not familiar with). I would probably have to stick to Honey Select 2 for now, until I am able to upgrade my system. Once again, thanks for the help!!
Lack of propper lights is usually culprit in my cases where renders arent ideal in the end. That beeing said after setting some basics in tone mapping and filtering...

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I'd say look into the Quadro M5000. It has become relatively cheap on Ebay. It has 8Gb of ram
For that price, especially used, he'd probably be better off going with a 1080. More memory bandwidth and cuda cores for around the same prices (from what I've been seeing, at least.)

I have just tested Daz and it was fine but the render quality is not the best (pretty sure this can be fixed by certain settings that I am not familiar with).
There's a whole truckload of things that could be causing lower render quality. As mentioned, lighting can be a culprit. But a bit of a different beast, especially for someone who might be newer to any of this type of stuff.

What I'd assume is causing right off the bat is probably "Rendering Quality Enable" (Render Settings > Progressive Rendering > Rendering Quality Enable "Off".). Make sure you're rendering through a Camera (Click the camera button on top), and make sure its headlamp is off (Camera pane (Should be lower right side of Daz) > Headlamp > Off). Just for testing purposes, go back to Progressive Rendering, turn down Max Time (Secs) to 0 and bring your Max Samples to 6500/7000 or so. Now, go to "General" (should be right above Progressive Rendering) and change it to 1080, or something that'll render relatively quickly and see if that helps at all.

with the above settings and some basic spotlight lighting. You should have the hair and model, assuming you downloaded the free starter essentials for Daz. It's in 1080 with no background or environment, so it should render fairly quickly on a 3060. But it's not an optimal setup either (there really isn't one, it changes per person and per computer). Specifically, the samples. They may be a bit high, but that's because I usually just let my renders go until it looks like they're finished.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I'd say look into the Quadro M5000
If I was going to suggest a higher end card I would suggest the P4000 (24gb) or P5000 (48gb) but more expensive

edit: And I would never suggest buying a used card or computer parts from ebay or any other site alike I always buy new when working with daz or any other 3d programs

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
For me, speed is more important than vram. I can render relatively big scenes even with 8gb, so I'd look for core count instead of vram.

A few things to consider:
Rendering speed = GPU
Smooth workflow in Daz = CPU (more cores = less stuttering)
How many objects/textures you can load into a scene = Ram
Processing a scene (how fast a render/iray preview starts) = CPU & Ram

8InchFloppyDick

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2020
If I was going to suggest a higher end card I would suggest the P4000 (24gb) or P5000 (48gb) but more expensive
P4000 is a decent option. but from what I've been seeing on UK ebay they still sell for 200-250 UKP. I got my M5000 for 125 UKP. Also the P4000 has a smaller fan so I expect it to be a little noisier than the M5000 for almost the same performance. Noise has become a thing for me.

BTW, according to this the P4000 and P5000 only have 8Gb and 16Gb ram respectively.

edit: And I would never suggest buying a used card or computer parts from ebay or any other site alike I always buy new when working with daz or any other 3d programs
My experience is exactly the opposite. I always buy 2nd hand from ebay ;)

BlazingBob

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2020
For that price, especially used, he'd probably be better off going with a 1080. More memory bandwidth and cuda cores for around the same prices (from what I've been seeing, at least.)

There's a whole truckload of things that could be causing lower render quality. As mentioned, lighting can be a culprit. But a bit of a different beast, especially for someone who might be newer to any of this type of stuff.

What I'd assume is causing right off the bat is probably "Rendering Quality Enable" (Render Settings > Progressive Rendering > Rendering Quality Enable "Off".). Make sure you're rendering through a Camera (Click the camera button on top), and make sure its headlamp is off (Camera pane (Should be lower right side of Daz) > Headlamp > Off). Just for testing purposes, go back to Progressive Rendering, turn down Max Time (Secs) to 0 and bring your Max Samples to 6500/7000 or so. Now, go to "General" (should be right above Progressive Rendering) and change it to 1080, or something that'll render relatively quickly and see if that helps at all.

with the above settings and some basic spotlight lighting. You should have the hair and model, assuming you downloaded the free starter essentials for Daz. It's in 1080 with no background or environment, so it should render fairly quickly on a 3060. But it's not an optimal setup either (there really isn't one, it changes per person and per computer). Specifically, the samples. They may be a bit high, but that's because I usually just let my renders go until it looks like they're finished.
Wow! Thank you so much for this!