[Illusion] HS2 causing BSOD/hard reset

MaybeUseOnce

May 17, 2022
Hi, long time lurker first time poster etc.

I don't get other problems in AAA titles when gaming for hours and this machine is a powerhouse yet only in Honey Select 2 DX, sometimes after an hour sometimes after literally 10 minutes, my entire machine will hard lock and crash, usually with a WHEA_UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR and other mentions of hardware issues, however I have upgraded my GPU, PSU and RAM in the last 2 months and as a result I've been through the system with a fine toothed comb and every setting is correct from CAS timings to DRAM voltage to CPU clocks and core multipliers, to the page file and the graphics drivers it's all nice, fresh and tested with AAA/raytracing games with no problems, every other game absolutely pours out over 100fps at 1440p but it seems to only last 5 minutes before the system fails from running HS2 and honestly I do not get it.

It doesn't last any longer playing windowed at 1080p so I don't think it's a system load issue, there have been times when it's just loaded and ran for an hour without any issues at all, it seems when I've had very few custom cards installed but I've not many now and most of those are from the modpack. My system temperatures stay positively in the green and I'm even monitoring voltages which show no great discrepancy from the time of one crash to the next, as the screen freezes a while I have chance to check and compare before the reboot using some hardware monitoring tools. There are no relevant entries in the event viewer other than the hardware reboot notifications, except for one time a WHEA corrected when it crashed the app but not the whole PC, I believe something is causing an unchecked exception in Unity.

I'm using the HF 1.9 patch with the Sideloader Modpacks etc, I've been through the entire card collection even ones that were included and either installed missing zipmods or removed cards with missing mods as reported by KKManager, I have every mod for every card at the moment so there shouldn't even be any null pointers or unresolved requests that could be taking the Unity engine down, the only roadblock to actually enjoying the game is stopping it from taking down my PC.

It seems to crash faster in the character editor when I'm tweaking untested cards with missing mods or loading the NextGenSkins on to existing models but these crashes happened before I installed NGS too so that's not directly responsible.

I'm going to be replacing my mobo and CPU to complete an upgrade cycle towards the end of the year but until then (and just in case it persists even after) does anyone have any genuine suggestions or experience with similar issues?

MaybeUseOnce

May 17, 2022
Found many similar instances of crashes in Unity games running on Asus Z390 chipset motherboards (which this is) and applied a couple of BIOS updates. Will feedback if I remember.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
BSODS can be lots of things:
-If your drive is dying it could be causing bsods when reading bad sectors, so try putting the game in another drive to check if the issue persists;
-If you are overclocking anything return back to the standard settings, it could be bad overclock voltages;
-A dying motherboard and/or PSU could also be the cause of the issue.

Honestly it is hard to know where exactly the issue will be, the only thing you can do is try to isolate the problem as much as you can until you find the culprint.

MaybeUseOnce

May 17, 2022
Thanks for your reply and yeah, I've run most of the troubleshooting gamut so far but I'm leaning on something fairly specific to Unity and the Z390 chipset, there seem to be an oddly abundant source of complaints about the same thing among owners of this motherboard and it is pretty much the oldest part in the system now.

Updating the BIOS through it's 4 missing revisions has a) enabled it to handle some of the crashes so just the game fails rather than taking the system with it which is awesome, a look at the Unity crash logs now it can generate them show issues addressing unavailable memory spaces but it doesn't specify which kind of memory or which data was being addressed. It does still BSOD once in a while but the message has changed on this too and the symptoms are slightly different beforehand.

The game is currently residing on an NVMe M.2 less than a year old along with all my other games, it's a 1.8TB pure game storage drive so I'd be almost certain to see crashes in other games if it were the drive, plus all health and S.M.A.R.T checks show no errors on the disk and it's only 2% through its estimated life based on writes.

I have bumped CPU clocks slightly and will test with the defaults just in case but that's not ideal if it turns out to be the cause, overclocking a K model Intel chip is why you buy them really!

Just replaced the PSU as well a couple of weeks after the crashes started so not that, replaced the RAM and doubled the amount too, new GPU is less than 2mo old. It's only this game so far too even though I play other Unity games, very strange.

Seems to be slightly more stable having set auto DRAM voltage instead of specifying a rigid value, but still crashes every now and then.

Set page file handling back from a set value to Windows managed as well and will see how it gets on. Hopefully if nothing definitive comes of it the info will help someone else with similar issues.

Reactions: Meaning Less