[R>Artist 3D] [R>Programmer] [R>Voice] Share I'm a writer wanting to build a team & make a VN game

HotVenusStudios

Writer/Game Developer
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2020
(CLOSED)

Came here hoping to build a team.... only got criticism. Idk how other threads were able to do it while providing even less info...

Last edited:

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
To prevent theft, I'll only tell the story once the team is assembled
Everyone has an idea for a game. The hard part is not coming up with an idea for a game but actually making the game and executing the idea well.

I'd highly recommend putting the story pitch out there. Rev-share projects depend a lot on the team members expecting the game to sell well and/or personally liking the project well enough. You're going to have a very hard time recruiting people if you don't tell them what they are signing up for.
(also fyi, I'm not looking to join a team atm. just giving my unsolicited 2 cents here)

Reactions: Capella

HotVenusStudios

Writer/Game Developer
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2020
Everyone has an idea for a game. The hard part is not coming up with an idea for a game but actually making the game and executing the idea well.

I'd highly recommend putting the story pitch out there. Rev-share projects depend a lot on the team members expecting the game to sell well and/or personally liking the project well enough. You're going to have a very hard time recruiting people if you don't tell them what they are signing up for.
(also fyi, I'm not looking to join a team atm. just giving my unsolicited 2 cents here)
I don't want to have my idea stolen by someone who has the skills to make a game on their own tho...

But I can give a brief description:
During a car crash, the MC's mother has a vision of an "angel" and begs the spirit to save her son...and it does. Years later, an agent of this "angel" revists the MC, demanding payment to the goddess who spared his life. From there...the MC's life turns into a crazy mess as his quest to supply the goddess with what she wants lands him in hilariously strange situations and if he doesn't pay up...he will die by the end of the year

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018

Your "original idea" is much less impressive than you may think, and people are usually aware of this, hence why no one is worried about sharing theirs.
In fact, in your position (One where you expect people to work on your idea for a promise of payment which may or may not happen), sharing your idea in detail is what may make people actually consider it (assuming the idea is good) rather than rolling their eyes at the umpteenth "Future Share".

There are surely people who played more games than me, I stick to a single genre and cannot share too much time to them, however... I saw a good part of your description in multiple games already.
The whole "Demand payment by the end of [insert time]" is especially done A LOT.

HotVenusStudios

Writer/Game Developer
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2020
All games here have similarities, but it's those small key differences that can change them or make them stand out enough to attract potential players. Hell so many of the successful games on here are almost identical, down to character models. But what's life without a little risk, without taking a chance?

If you're not on here to ask about joining the team, DONT MESSAGE HERE. Geez, not here for criticisms, here for people willing to actually TRY. No idea can be done unless you invest time in it. As a novelist, I know all too well how hard it is to get your work out there

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
All games here have similarities, but it's those small key differences that can change them or make them stand out enough to attract potential players. Hell so many of the successful games on here are almost identical, down to character models. But what's life without a little risk, without taking a chance?

If you're not on here to ask about joining the team, DONT MESSAGE HERE. Geez, not here for criticisms, here for people willing to actually TRY. No idea can be done unless you invest time in it. As a novelist, I know all too well how hard it is to get your work out there

Can I be honest? literally no one wants to steal your idea. It's not even remotely original. The amount of time, skill, and effort required to make a decent game? I promise the idea is the easy part of it. No one wants to steal yours. And no one wants to work with you when you're refusing to present anything more than a very basic cliffnotes. Also, stuff like "Not here for criticisms. Don't talk to me if you're not doing exactly what I want!" is how you annoy people and make no one want to work with you.

I get it. You think you have a super awesome idea that'll be great! Most people will probably think it's medicore at best. You want to interest people? Share a lot more than what you currently are - cause what you're currently sharing reads as "I have a half-baked un-original idea and I want other people to do all the work for me". Why the fuck would I want to spend any time working with someone who gets upset at the slightest criticism, lashes out at people so quickly, and can't even present something that reads like a good idea that you'll put time and effort into?

All I've read in this thread so far is a couple people giving decent advice, and you saying "I want money and I want others to do all the work for me. If that doesn't sound like something you want to do, fuck off and don't waste my time". Yea. TOTALLY sign me up......

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I wish you the best of luck - but if you want to people to spend their valuable time on a project which most likely won't have a great return of money on their investment of time away from family, friends, and fun ... you need to have a fresher carrot dangled.

The quick synopsis you have given isn't that far from Urban Demons, Taffy Tales, or Demon Deals or another dozen or so I can think off the top of my head.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Winterfire

quarzo

Aug 25, 2017
common, it is just a possitive criticim.

any of the roles you are looking for read your post, and they find what it is about only a guy asking for people who make their game witout direct payment, no heavy support rol on development (art/modeling/code) but ofc the guy will controll the patreon, and keep in total secret what the game is about.

a very hard premise for join!

the other day there was a thread with which other guy exposed the main ideas, what the game will be about, the mechanics that the game will have etc etc. In addition to an exquisite technical manual that makes any programmer happy to join and still not be something stealable from the writer. but he sinned in not being aware of the workload that this entails for the other roles. which for them would be the same as finding someone who will not be grateful for the effort they dedicate to the project.

I think it will be much easier for someone to get in if you do a small part of the game first. In this way you will not only be able to help in the development, and be a weighty member in the project, you will also generate more confidence in whoever joins.

Reactions: Winterfire

HotVenusStudios

Writer/Game Developer
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2020
common, it is just a possitive criticim.

any of the roles you are looking for read your post, and they find what it is about only a guy asking for people who make their game witout direct payment, no heavy support rol on development (art/modeling/code) but ofc the guy will controll the patreon, and keep in total secret what the game is about.

a very hard premise for join!

the other day there was a thread with which other guy exposed the main ideas, what the game will be about, the mechanics that the game will have etc etc. In addition to an exquisite technical manual that makes any programmer happy to join and still not be something stealable from the writer. but he sinned in not being aware of the workload that this entails for the other roles. which for them would be the same as finding someone who will not be grateful for the effort they dedicate to the project.

I think it will be much easier for someone to get in if you do a small part of the game first. In this way you will not only be able to help in the development, and be a weighty member in the project, you will also generate more confidence in whoever joins.
**C'mon
I've seen others form teams with even LESS info, others even saying the payment wont come until release of the game and will be split evenly upon release. Hell I've joined 2 projects with the same offers. They posted their threads without criticism, just got people PM-ing them. I post something with greater detail...get all this criticism. Screw it...I'll just stick to writing for the other projects...

Anyone know how to delete a thread?

May 27, 2021
Wait I'll join. I don't how but I am interested. I am not the greatest but I'll jump the cliff and ask questions once I stop falling.
I have standard REN'PY experience. I understand the point system or rather how to implement it, I hate the stupid jump and label system and if you want a profilo I can private message you it and stuff. It'll be the code not the game because I made a mod not the assests itself

HotVenusStudios

Writer/Game Developer
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2020
Wait I'll join. I don't how but I am interested. I am not the greatest but I'll jump the cliff and ask questions once I stop falling.
I have standard REN'PY experience. I understand the point system or rather how to implement it, I hate the stupid jump and label system and if you want a profilo I can private message you it and stuff. It'll be the code not the game because I made a mod not the assests itself
PM me here...but I need a 3DCG artist as well...and a programmer, animator...so...