I’m creating a game.

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
I am creating a new game in Renpy, but first I need some questions answered hopefully you all can do that for me.
1: Can asset releases from this site be used without copyright?
2: When creating a game, would I be able to post that game here for you guys, if so how would I go about doing that?
3: I’m deciding between going for DAZ 3D or maybe AI girl studio depending on how much I have to pay for assets on DAZ, would I be able to use Illusion studio without copyright?
4: Can I make a few smaller games first to see how good I am and how well people react to it?
5: Anything else you would like to let me know about making games?
Thank you in advance.

Morgan42

Oct 9, 2019
I've actually researched this and for the most part, asset use tends to fall under a strange mix of transformative use and creative license. Essentially, any game you release is released for free and any money you make off patreon is just tips and would be for your coding and writing, not necessarily the assets themselves. It IS a grey area and the most likely legal action that would happen would be a C&D, but I don't think that's ever happened within this corner of the internet. Basically, this is so niche that you'll probably never get popular enough for the the big companies to come after you, which is both good and bad. Being sued isn't really likely because they'd have to prove that your use of their assets caused them monetary damages and most places have thresholds that none of us will ever fall under (we're talking ten of thousands of dollars). Basically, unless someone is ripping assets from a small developer who sells their work, it's probably safe.

The consnesus is that DAZ is more powerful but the Illusion games are best for that anime look. If you want to try and make this a career, it might be worth learning DAZ but if you're just doing this for fun, use whatever aesthetic you like more.

As for releases, I'm not sure, but smaller games to learn the coding and practice is a good idea. Also, I have a game I'm also developing and if you want we can trade off our works in progress for critique.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
1. Most of the assets here are pirated. If you bought them, no problem, but if not... well I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble because they used pirated assets, but never say never.
There is some Free stuff for Daz 3D though, my assets are free to use as well.

2. Create a post with all the information about your game in the Game Resquest forum and ask a mod to move it.

3. Same as 1. AI is not free and they actually have a disclamer stating that images made with their products are not allowed to use in games, and/or commercially, but again, I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble using it (yet).
Also AI would be a bad choice at the moment, it might look better than HS, but it lacks the mod support HS has, and mods are what make Illusion game good.

4. Definitely, yes. It's the best you can do! As Kia said, developing a game is not as easy as many people think it is and most new dev's fail because they underestimate the workload and have too high expectations.

5. Keep your expectations low, or don't expect anything at all and be ready to make (a lot of) compromises. Never forget your goal, whatever it may be and give it your best, but take the time you need and don't rush things.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I am creating a new game in Renpy, but first I need some questions answered hopefully you all can do that for me.
1: Can asset releases from this site be used without copyright?
2: When creating a game, would I be able to post that game here for you guys, if so how would I go about doing that?
3: I’m deciding between going for DAZ 3D or maybe AI girl studio depending on how much I have to pay for assets on DAZ, would I be able to use Illusion studio without copyright?
4: Can I make a few smaller games first to see how good I am and how well people react to it?
5: Anything else you would like to let me know about making games?
Thank you in advance.
4. Not only reactions, but I suggest you to make a smaller game for learning purposes as well.
It lets you test out ideas and techniques without long time commitment.
Not all games need to be really long, even AAA VNs (Japanese ones) can have short stories of two hours or less.

5. Have fun with it.

GIL3D

Illusionist
Game Developer
Sep 24, 2019
3. I would definitely recommend HS or AI. Managing the studio is easy and mods are free. Besides, that aesthetic has its own audience. Copyright shouldn't be an issue following a patreon model. Something niche and small scale shouldn't face such a problem anyway.