I'm learning how to model boobs and ass... Is anyone else struggling to make their OCs come to life?

May 12, 2023
This is my second attempt at modeling the woman figure. It's quite difficult, but at least I'm trying

I know people use DAZ or pre-made assets but I really want to 3D model my own Original characters.

Hopefully the 3rd attempt will have better results.

Anyone else struggling with making their OCs come to life?

Ritzalio

Feb 22, 2023
I suggest koikatsu for making OCs as a starting point... at least you will have better visual ideas and references for making the character in other apps

Reactions: LovePlayFantasy

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
I tried doing this once too. I found a reference image i liked, put it in blender, and then manually traced it. After i had the tracing, i started to extrude to make it 3D. It looked terrible and took a long time to do. And that's just the body, nevermind the head, hair, feet, hands, clothes, and etc...

I would never do it from scratch ever again. I would rather find a free 3D model and modify it.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] And that's just the body, nevermind the head, hair, feet, hands, clothes, and etc...
It's probably the most important point, because making the body is just the beginning of the journey, and the easiest part.
The head, hands and feet will be the hardest part to do. Then will come rigging and its weight painting, for every body part to correctly follow the skeleton. And of course, like it's a fully custom model, the clothes will have to be done from scratch, and later textured.
If it's exceptional to find people using purely homemade model, it's simple because, unless it's your job at first, 3D sculpting and texturing will multiply by two, when not three, the time needed to achieve the game compared to using Daz3D or in fact any 3D rendering software and already existing models.

I would never do it from scratch ever again. I would rather find a free 3D model and modify it.
This is the best approach.

Using a Genesis 8/9 model, tweak it in blender, then importing it back to Daz Studio, can give good result after one/two days of work. Plus, if you take care to keep the geometry, anything expected to fit that Genesis model will automatically fit yours.
And there's also the many morphs that, when used well, can already turn any model into something unique, and this in few hours at most.

May 12, 2023
I suggest koikatsu for making OCs as a starting point... at least you will have better visual ideas and references for making the character in other apps
I've never heard of koikatsu, I googled it and I can't really tell which is the official site :c

May 12, 2023
I tried doing this once too. I found a reference image i liked, put it in blender, and then manually traced it. After i had the tracing, i started to extrude to make it 3D. It looked terrible and took a long time to do. And that's just the body, nevermind the head, hair, feet, hands, clothes, and etc...

right?! I've been trying to mod some persona models I found, but It's a lot to learn. :c i guess that's why the pro's get paid the big bucks

May 12, 2023
It's probably the most important point, because making the body is just the beginning of the journey, and the easiest part.
The head, hands and feet will be the hardest part to do. Then will come rigging and its weight painting, for every body part to correctly follow the skeleton. And of course, like it's a fully custom model, the clothes will have to be done from scratch, and later textured.
If it's exceptional to find people using purely homemade model, it's simple because, unless it's your job at first, 3D sculpting and texturing will multiply by two, when not three, the time needed to achieve the game compared to using Daz3D or in fact any 3D rendering software and already existing models.

This is the best approach.

Using a Genesis 8/9 model, tweak it in blender, then importing it back to Daz Studio, can give good result after one/two days of work. Plus, if you take care to keep the geometry, anything expected to fit that Genesis model will automatically fit yours.
And there's also the many morphs that, when used well, can already turn any model into something unique, and this in few hours at most.
I downloaded Daz but it's kind of a lot for me as a beginner :c

Is Genesis the name of a character or something?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I downloaded Daz but it's kind of a lot for me as a beginner :c
Oh god...

How to phrase it in a clear, but yet not too sarcastic, way ?

Making your own model, because Daz Studio is a lot for you, is like deciding to build your own car, because driving is a lot for you. At the end of the day (or more surely months), you will still have to learn how to drive in order to use that car.

May 12, 2023
Oh god...

How to phrase it in a clear, but yet not too sarcastic, way ?

Making your own model, because Daz Studio is a lot for you, is like deciding to build your own car, because driving is a lot for you. At the end of the day (or more surely months), you will still have to learn how to drive in order to use that car.
^^;; I guess i do sound pretty silly. I followed a tutorial for blender and you know what....

I think it would be easier if I followed a tutorial for DAZ and I won't be so overwhelmed trying to figure stuff out myself lol

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I think it would be easier if I followed a tutorial for DAZ and I won't be so overwhelmed trying to figure stuff out myself lol
I totally agree with that...

Starts with basic models without tweaking, the time to learn at your pace. Then later you'll be able to learn how to apply morphs to that model, what will make your models looks more unique.
It will probably be baby steps at first, but each step will immediately (modulo the rendering time, but you don't need high quality at first) show its result, what will be rewarding and don't leave you with the feeling that you don't progress.

Edit: A fucking really way too obvious typo

Last edited:
May 12, 2023
I totally agree with that...

Starts with basic models without tweaking, the time to learn at your pace. Then later you'll be able to learn how to apply morphs to that model, what will make your models looks more unique.
It will probably be baby steps at first, but each step will immediately (modulo the rendering time, but you don't need I quality at first) show its result, what will be rewarding and don't leave you with the feeling that you don't progress.
Thanks for the support!!! :)