Ren'Py I'm looking for some feedback on a script for my femdom romance story.

Zoran89

Aug 20, 2020
Hi!
You may know me from some of my posts, trying to critique other games from the perspective of a reader.
Well, I've decided to put what I preach into practice, and for the past 7-8 months, I've been (slowly) working on a draft for my own VIsual Novel.

Set in a Japanese (because I am a filthy weeb, though I do believe I have a slightly better idea about Japanese realities than your average Naruto runner, considering my Japanese major and a year I've spent in Japan) school, it's supposed to be a semi-hard* femdom story, focused on building an intimate romantic relationship between the main duo, instead of your usual "get on your knees you worthless worm" shit I see so often in other femdom works.

I won't go into many details regarding their relationship, as that is still in the phase of planning - I have a general outline of what I want to do with them - the idea is to create a fun push-pull dynamic between the two, with FMC genuinely caring about the MC, despite being a smug, teasing and playful minx, and MC slowly coming to terms with his submissive side, while also learning about this softer side of FMC.

What I have right now, however, is around 70-80% of the prologue written. No lewds yet, as I wanted to introduce a proper setup before getting to those - my aim is to write a good story first, and build erotic scenes on that foundation. There is a short erotic scene planned as an introductory scene, but I'd like to get a better feel for the main duo's dynamic, so that the first scene works properly in context of the general narrative. In order to do that, I need to first get through the prologue, however, and this is where my issue comes in:

AFAIK there is no "look at a mirrored image of your drawing" trick for writing, so being bogged down in all those ideas, I will obviously have issues with retaining an objective perspective on whatever I've cooked up. And I want the script to be serviceable before I start working on renders, because I am working on this alone, and it's one thing rewriting 5 scenes when they're just a script in a notepad, it's another thing when you also need to remake some 500 renders for it as well.

So I guess what I am asking is... could someone have a look at whatever I've done so far, and give me general impressions on it? I've included some initial renders I've done when I was figuring out Koikatsu posing system, so that you get a feel for what I am trying to go for with FMC.
--------------------------------------------------------------
*By semi-hard femdom I mean... It's not supposed to be a dommy-mommy, with mostly headpats and "good boys" (those will be there, but used sparingly), but it's also not supposed to be a really hardcore 24/7 D/s relationship with blood, whipping and watersports.
A lot of teasing, I'd like to get some denial in there, CEI, if I can figure out how to make it optional for the player, lots of foot and body worship, facesitting, maybe lighter impact play, some ruined orgasms... you know, all the fun jazz. But, if it makes sense to you, I want FMC to be doing this as her twisted way of showing affection, and not as an attempt to genuinely humiliate and destroy MC.

Just thought I'd clarify.

Last edited:
Reactions: madhatter11

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Немного почитал. Пришлось делать перевод. Насчёт текста. Я сам пишу текс то иногда добавляю.
- Иди сюда. - сказала девушка указывая на свободное место рядом с ней.
- Ты не против? - спросил он. Она улыбнулась и сказала.
- Не против, буду только рада если сядешь рядом. - повторила она.
Я это к тому что в создании текста иногда можно запутаться как это должно выглядеть визуально, поэтому можно дописывать к разговору и действие. В тексте который я читал много общение и мало описание чего либо, так что иногда трудно просто по тексту представить как это выглядит.
Так же насчёт персонажей. Я предварительно делаю описание персонажей. Пример.
Девушка -
Возраст -
Параметры -
Личная информация - увлечения, хобби, занятия, учёба и тд.
Интимная и личная жизнь - были одни отношения, в постели не проявляет инициативу. Это к примеру, тут может быть что угодно.
Остальное - тут может быть как тот или иной персонаж относиться к главному герою или к другим персонажам или ещё что - то.
Это всё для того чтобы когда дойдёшь до нужного момента написания сценария и посмотрел на список и понял как поступит персонаж или как будет реагировать на то что нравиться или не нравиться. У меня более длинный список описания персонажей.
В тексте который прочитал вопрос в 8 файле про добавить персонажа или нет. Я думаю можно оставить как персонажа второго плана и если будет вдохновение или желание то вернуть её потом по сюжету.
Пару вопросов.
1) Я так понял игра будет за мужского персонажа или просто будет наблюдение за сюжетом?
2) Судя пот тому что я читал сюжет будет линейным или будет выбор? Если будет выбор то сильно он будет влиять на сюжет?
3) Затянут сюжет будет или уже примерное представление есть финала?
4) Может ещё и есть вопросы, но пока так.
Так же добавлю ссылку на одну из своих игр. Она почти полностью текстовая и я так описывал и окружение и то что делают персонажи. Там не играешь ни за кого, там просто небольшой выбор куда будет двигаться по сюжету. Женского доминирования там нет, но девушки очень инициативны. Может немного поможет в написании и там есть описание персонажей для примера.

I respected a little. I had to translate. About the text. I myself write text, sometimes I add it.
- Come here. - said the girl, pointing to the empty seat next to her.
- You do not mind? - he asked. She smiled and said.
- Don't mind, I'll be glad if you sit next to me. she repeated.

I mean that in creating text, you can sometimes get confused about how it should look visually, so you can add action to the conversation. In the text that I read, there is a lot of communication and little description of something, so sometimes it’s hard to just imagine what it looks like from the text.
The same goes for the characters. I pre-describe the characters. Example.
Young woman -
Age -
Options -
Personal information - hobbies, activities, studies, etc.
Intimate and personal life - were one relationship, in bed does not show initiative. For example, it could be anything.
The rest - here it can be how this or that character relates to the main character or to other characters or something else.
This is all so that when you get to the right moment of writing the script and look at the list and understand how the character will act or how he will react to what he likes or dislikes. I have a longer list of character descriptions.
In the text that I read the question in file 8 about whether to add a character or not. I think you can leave it as a supporting character, and if there is inspiration or a desire, then return it later in the story.
A couple of questions.
1) As I understand it, the game will be for a male character or will it just be watching the plot?
2) Judging by the fact that I read the plot will be linear or will there be a choice? If there is a choice, how much will it affect the plot?
3) Will the plot be delayed or is there already an approximate idea of the finale?
4) There may still be questions, but so far so.
I will also add a link to one of my games. It's almost entirely text based, and that's how I described the environment and what the characters are doing. There you do not play for anyone, there is just a small choice of where to move in the story. There is no female dominance there, but the girls are very proactive. Can help a little in writing and there is a description of the characters for example.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Zoran89

Aug 20, 2020
Thank you very much for your reply! It's a little hard to understand your translation, and my knowledge of Cyrillic is very limited, so I apologize in advance should I get something wrong.

First, I understand you are worried about the lack of action markers/action descriptions.
At this point, this is completely understandable, since you are looking at bare text, but there are two reasons for it.
First, a technical one - I am working on this 100% alone, so any side-notes I find completely unnecessary.
The second one is about the nature of the medium. This is going to be a visual novel, so I was actually struggling pretty hard to avoid writing down things that would be clearly seen from the CG.
In other words, if the girl is sitting down, you won't need to be told that she's sitting down, as it should be self-evident from the image. When I am using narration, it's because I want to convey something more than just simple action - something that drew MC's attention, a feeling, something that he thought of when he saw that action etc.
I will look through it, though, and try to figure out whether I need some more of these, so thank you.

Second, when it comes to the main characters' descriptions, I actually do have notes on them, I just didn't consider posting those as important. I would need to clean those up if anyone wants to see them, though. In reality, I have spent almost two months, just trying to figure out what sort of characters I want to make, with all their backstories, interests and so on, so it's not like I am doing this completely on the fly.

As for your final notes.
1) The story is being told from MC's perspective. I am trying to build up mystery around the main heroine, in order to make the player interested in getting to know her better, but also to show the transformation within the MC's psyche, as he's gradually getting used to the kinky side of their relationship.
2) I want to add choices, but I also don't want to introduce anything that would heavily alter the storyline, as this is my first time I am writing anything this big. I want to show that the girl is willing to respect MC's boundaries (at least to a certain extent), so I want to allow the player to opt out of some of the fetishes people may find questionable, however I am still thinking about how to implement this in a way that's not going to overwhelm me technically, while also being natural from the narrative perspective. This is just the prologue, though, so it will probably entirely linear.
3) I do have a time limit in mind, and that is - obviously - the end of the spring semester. I am planning on their relationship developing over May and June, and then have the girl confront her personal family drama, to serve as a catalyst for the ending, which would be the protagonist, having to choose whether he wants to continue this relationship or not. It's sort of short, but I don't feel competent, nor experienced enough to draw out these long, unending stories that just continue to pump out content forever.

I will have a look at your work later.
Again, thank you very much for your time.
If possible, do post any comments in your original language in the future as well - my mothertongue is also of Slavic descent, so translating the original into both English and my own language does help me with figuring out your intent (^^; )

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Can we get a hint as to who the abbreviated named are supposed to be?

T = teacher?
HM = headmaster
MC = mc
mcf = mc friend?
grl = ?
bys = ?

EDIT: okay, I got stuck into reading this all the way through, so I decided I may as well write up some thoughts, positive and negative:

First impression: Wow, you've already done a pretty good job here. Nice work. I guess you've done creative writing before?

Second: mechanically so hard to read! the text indent between the speaker name and the dialogue ruins the line wrapping (i guess you maybe did it in a word processor with a tab stop? anyway, it's hard to read in text file format). Consider either doing it like Renpy dialogue, or script writer style

Third: the character name abbreviations, as I put above. Hard to understand who is who.

Comments on the story (as I'm reading through, so will be in order of appearance rather than grouped):

- nice writing style with the dialogues. realistic and flowing.

- the "MC's internal thoughts" asides seem wrong somehow. perhaps they are written in the wrong viewpoint or tense? First person is good for novels, but in a game it's more of an interaction between game MC and player, so using second person can work better. (There's a good post here in the devs section that does a thorough breakdown of the pros/cons of different tenses/viewpoints/active/passive styles and how they suit different game types. I wish I could find it for you.)

- "MC G-girl, how did you get inside? You shouldn't be wandering around-"
Why does MC react like this? Are there no female students allowed in the building? Is she not in uniform? it seems he doesn't know or recognize her...

- reasonably good "banter" between characters, with a few good bits of humor.

- you could improve on the reason for why simply expelling MCF would be a bad thing for Itsuwari college: perhaps his placement there is not just a recommendation by a teach, but is also a scholarship via a local religious organization, so there would be community anger at the fancy school not helping disadvantaged students enough...

- Plot inconsistency: Shinichi knows who the mysterious girl is, with a lot of details about her reputation. yet somehow his best friend has never seen her before. One solution would be to make her a recent transfer student (although you'd need to adjust the backstory i.e. Shinichi knows about her exploits from a cousin at her previous school or something). EDIT: i see that later in the script that there are many other students who know her. So the fix is to make MC recognize her, but he is afraid of her due to her reputation, even though he has never spoke to her before.

- then we find out from the conversation with Aizawa and the Gym girls that Sayuri is in the same *year* as MC, yet he doesn't know of her....

- I'm still wondering if the setting is a high-school or a private college.

general comments

- The more I read, the more i feel it's too much like a novella, not a game script. In general a game script needs to be more like a movie script - SHOW don't tell. Short conversational lines. Few (if not NONE) internal dialogue scenes.

- Don't have too much exposition, especially from a narrator or "mc's thoughts" point of view - readers can work out a LOT from context as long as you put clues in (facial expressions, visual clues, side comments)

- some of the dialogue sections need to be trimmed to about half length: the first meeting between Sayuri and MC. a couple of the conversations between MC and Shinichi. the scene in the gym with Houzuki.

- you're introducing a lot of named sub characters. I'd recommend keeping it tighter, don't bring too many into scope. it adds little and makes for more work.

- it would be good to have more "scene setting" in the script to explain what the locations look like, what stances/expressions/actions the characters are taking. Again, more like a movie script. This will guide you when it comes to making the artwork.

Your question:
"SHOULD I LEAVE HOUZUKI AS A RETURNING CHARACTER?"
- yes, but not as a part of the plot. minor side character. Reason: don't complicate things, this is your first game. don't make it even harder than it is, the story idea you've got is more than enough.

Minor quibbles with Japanese language/culture references:

(Also: why do I think I can comment on this? Well, I speak fluent Japanese, and lived and worked in Japan for 9 years. I'm not infallible however, so please take this part as "just my opinion" if you believe your way is correct)

"Ymd Sir, the headmaster said that you should bring Takeda-kun to his office. Together with Tennouji-san, if possible."
In this line, the male student would not be adding the honorifics to the other student's names. (source:). In fact, the teacher would be more likely to use them than a doukyuusei would.

"Kureha": is that supposed to be MC's first name or family name? If first, then it is quite an unusual name for a male in modern japan (although apparently historically it was considered a male name). If family, then it's a very unusual surname - this is the first time I've encountered it.

"MC Anyway, thank you, Houzuki-san. I will try to talk to her another time."
- mc would not use the girls name there. Too formal for same-year students to use between each other.

- there are others but I don't have bandwidth for a line-by-line review at the moment, still got 2400 / 19600 lines left to edit of the "Nothing is Forever" chapter 6 script... :eek:

Phew, that was long. Sorry if it's too much! Good luck with your project, you're off to a good start. :love:

Last edited:

Zoran89

Aug 20, 2020
Thank you for the reply!
No, no, I was actually hoping for this sort of in-depth feedback, as it better helps me figure out potential issues! I will try to answer your points one by one.

Can we get a hint as to who the abbreviated named are supposed to be?
I tried making the markers as self-explanatory as possible, but I can see how people might have an issue getting my thought process.
Basically anything like "Grl", "Bys", "StuXX", "TchXX" etc. are random minor characters, which are not necessarily needed to be named - "Girl(s)", "Boy(s)", "StudentXX", "TeacherXX" and so on. Yes, I used "T" for "Teacher" in the first scene, and it's different because my marking style haven't clarified yet, and I haven't fixed it since.

If anyone else has an issue with these, here is a full list:

MC - "Main Character", probably the most obvious one
FMC - "Female Main Character"
MCF - "MC's Friend", Takeda Shin'ichi
Toko - FMC's Friend, Nishida Touko. I wanted to introduce her to provide a third person's perspective on FMC, from someone who knows her and actually likes her.

This is the main cast. As for the secondary/side characters (in order of appearance):

T - "Teacher", used in the first scene - I should actually make it either consistent with the rest of the script, or use smt like "Ondr" as a shorthand for her name.
HM - "Headmaster"
Grl - Used whenever there is a female side character talking, which I don't intend to name
Bys - Same as above, but for male. In the first script, I unnecessarily used it for MC&MCF (line 79), which I just noticed. Fixed.
Stu - Short for "Student"
Tch - Short for "Teacher"
Fjm - Fujimori, the stiff male teacher
Ymnk - Yamanaka, the school nurse
Tnnj - Tennouji Akira, Judo captain, (former?) boyfriend of Imamura Kyouko and the catalyst for this game's story
FMom - Shin'ichi's mom
Immr - Imamura Kyouko - A self-centred, popular chick, who tried banging Kenji, only to accuse him of an assault after he rejected her
Knj - Shiozawa Kenji - Akira's friend. Expelled from the academy due to Imamura's charges against him
Crwd - "Crowd"
Aizw - Aizawa, the kind music teacher
Kkch - Kakuchi, the hard-ass P.E. coach

Yes, my markings are a complete mess, I apologize for this. The truth is, I am working on this completely alone, and a lot of this stuff I have in my head already, so I did not feel the need to make it consistent, but I guess if I am going to ask for feedback, I should make it clearer to other people.

First impression: Wow, you've already done a pretty good job here. Nice work. I guess you've done creative writing before?
I actually haven't xD
Not much, anyway. I wrote occasional short stories here and there, like a character background story for an RP forum or a short introduction to a story which popped into my head after listening to some anime OPs and such, but I lost most of it since I never really cared all that much about it. Then there's also the fact that I've spent a lot of time in my head, thinking up movie scripts, though I never considered them to be anything serious, just a way to kill time when I was on a bus. I'm mostly going by gut feeling, and basing myself on some writing theory I looked up online, so it makes me really happy you would say this, thank you!

Second: mechanically so hard to read! the text indent between the speaker name and the dialogue ruins the line wrapping (i guess you maybe did it in a word processor with a tab stop? anyway, it's hard to read in text file format). Consider either doing it like Renpy dialogue, or script writer style
Aaaah, yes. My friend, to whom I've sent this for a review, mentioned something similar. I am working on this in Notepad++, this is why the formatting is so weird - I've defined my own "Ren'Py Script" language, which is not actually Ren'Py script, just a way for me to quickly identify and write what I have in mind, so that I don't have to spend those extra seconds typing <, i, > and <, /, i, > for italics for example. The indents make it much easier for me to identify what is going on, but I can understand how it might be breaking the flow of text on another machine... I will try looking into those other styles.

the "MC's internal thoughts" asides seem wrong somehow. perhaps they are written in the wrong viewpoint or tense? First person is good for novels, but in a game it's more of an interaction between game MC and player, so using second person can work better. (There's a good post here in the devs section that does a thorough breakdown of the pros/cons of different tenses/viewpoints/active/passive styles and how they suit different game types. I wish I could find it for you.)
I wanted to use the first person because I considered this to be sort of a personal transformation story for the MC. Also, when I think about classic Japanese visual novels, they very rarely use second person for narration, it's more of a western AVN thing. I was also basing myself on Pale Carnations with the (Internal monologue) vs. Narration. The idea originally was to introduce two levels of MC's consciousness to better emphasize the internal conflict between his desires and his consciousness rejecting them, though now I am not sure how this is going to come off as.

Why does MC react like this? Are there no female students allowed in the building? Is she not in uniform? it seems he doesn't know or recognize her...
Yeah... Originally I used "kid" there, in that classic "Oh, this little girl stumbled into our scho-OW, why are kicking me!" gag, then changed it into "girl"... I just wanted to show FMC having a sore spot when it came to her being a shrimp and a washboard.

you could improve on the reason for why simply expelling MCF would be a bad thing for Itsuwari college: perhaps his placement there is not just a recommendation by a teach, but is also a scholarship via a local religious organization, so there would be community anger at the fancy school not helping disadvantaged students enough...
I actually don't want it to be a bad thing for the academy. Not necessarily. The idea isn't that the school is going to lose someone valuable, but that this is going to permanently remove Shin'ichi's option to fulfil his dream in the future. The school couldn't actually care less about him, since he's far from being a great student, and his attitude - from the staff's perspective - leaves much to be desired. This, I hoped, would create a situation where MC has kind of personal stakes in this affair, pushing him into ultimately accepting Sayuri's deal.

Making Shin'ichi's expulsion a loss for the academy, I feel this would actually weaken the reason for MC to enter this relationship with Misaka, since he could just use that as a leverage in negotiations with the Headmaster. I could still make it a purely emotional affair, and I sort of want to do that, but introducing some third-party organization contesting this deciscion kind of feels like something coming completely out of the left field...

Shinichi knows who the mysterious girl is, with a lot of details about her reputation. yet somehow his best friend has never seen her before. One solution would be to make her a recent transfer student (although you'd need to adjust the backstory i.e. Shinichi knows about her exploits from a cousin at her previous school or something). EDIT: i see that later in the script that there are many other students who know her. So the fix is to make MC recognize her, but he is afraid of her due to her reputation, even though he has never spoke to her before.

- then we find out from the conversation with Aizawa and the Gym girls that Sayuri is in the same *year* as MC, yet he doesn't know of her....
Well, I might have gotten the wrong idea from the Japanese media, as my only real experience in Japan was with university students, but I didn't think that everyone would know everybody else, just because they are in the same year. Misaka herself is sort of trying to keep a low profile, and MC wasn't particularly interested in social happenings, with his only real friend being Shin'ichi. The idea here was that, those who come in contact with her know her, but she's generally trying to avoid being the centre of attention - not due to shyness, but because she finds it annoying, and also because she doesn't want people to know her background, which will come much later into play. As a result, she's often spending time alone, away from people, which would then limit the amount of MC's opportunities to overhear people talking about her.

Plus, though there are rumours going on around her, and the story is centred around her, I don't want the school to be centred around her, if you catch my drift.

I'm still wondering if the setting is a high-school or a private college.
Ughhh... Yes, this is something I am struggling with.
The reason for it being, my initial idea was to make it in high-school, but I am worried about the whole underage thing, especially since I don't live in the US, so I would have to figure out the law regarding that in my country... Which is a pain in the ass, to be frank. So instead I decided against my better judgement and chose to go the ambiguous "Sort-of-high-school-but-I-can-still-insist-this-is-college-so-everyone-is-of-age" route. At this moment there are no lewds yet, but I am planning to make it VERY sexual soon, and with the ambiguous law, I would rather not wake up one day with charges regarding propagating Cheese Pizza.

The more I read, the more i feel it's too much like a novella, not a game script. In general a game script needs to be more like a movie script - SHOW don't tell. Short conversational lines. Few (if not NONE) internal dialogue scenes.
Another thing I had a problem with, something I mentioned in my previous post. I still want to have that internal monologue, since - like I said - this is supposed to be MC's transformation, and I want to show MC processing thoughts and emotions, but I also do keep in mind the SDT rule, so it basically comes to a matter of striking the right balance.

Don't have too much exposition, especially from a narrator or "mc's thoughts" point of view - readers can work out a LOT from context as long as you put clues in (facial expressions, visual clues, side comments)
I am not sure whether you are referring to the (Internal monologue) or narration, but I assume you mean narration - the second reason I wanted narration, was because when I start writing lewds, I want a way to describe things which aren't visual in nature - smells, tastes, the feeling of warmth or coldness, pain and so on. But if I write 90% of script without any narration whatsoever, and then suddenly throw that in during the H-scene, that is going to be jarring, right? Which is why I was trying to keep a consistent stream of narration to establish it, so that when I actually need it, it won't pop out of nowhere. I am not saying this solution is perfect, but it is the best I could come up with.

some of the dialogue sections need to be trimmed to about half length: the first meeting between Sayuri and MC. a couple of the conversations between MC and Shinichi. the scene in the gym with Houzuki.
I assume you mean formatting? If so, then it's because... OK, it will be easier to show you how this looks on my screen:

Script_SS.jpg

The marked line is the one I assume you are referring to. I decided to break the line and adjust it to the upper script, because the other option was to either abandon the TAB adjustment altogether, and let the longer lines blend in with the character markers, which makes it hard to read, or insert TAB adjustments in the middle of the line, which causes the layout to become even more screwed up:

Script_SS2.jpg

you're introducing a lot of named sub characters. I'd recommend keeping it tighter, don't bring too many into scope. it adds little and makes for more work.
I am actually not planning on using a lot of them, I just thought it would be weird if people didn't introduce themselves or spoke to each other as "you" or "someone do this" or such. The main story is very much centred around the MC and Sayuri, with their friends being, like I said, kind of a mirror to better reflect different aspect of their personalities. Any additional characters might get used in one-off scenes, just to break away from

1. MC with Sayuri
2. MC with Shin'ichi
3. MC with Sayuri and Touko
4. MC with Shin'ichi and Sayuri (should I use this, I am still considering whether to introduce a direct conflict between the two)

routine. I don't want it to feel like MC has no life outside of him, interacting with the heroine, but there's also not that much that I can show, which would be interesting to the reader. Let's be honest here, you are not here to see MC playing video games on his own or going on random walks. Which means I will need some hook to make additional scenes interesting - that's why I was considering leaving Houzuki as a named sub-character, who could stir shit up later down the line and serve as a trigger for showing MC and MCF in different situations. Other than that, yes - I literally only use names when it makes sense for the other character to know them (Fujimori barking orders to his students), or when it would be unnatural for the characters to refer to each other as anything other than something-san or something-kun or such.

it would be good to have more "scene setting" in the script to explain what the locations look like, what stances/expressions/actions the characters are taking. Again, more like a movie script. This will guide you when it comes to making the artwork.
Yes, this makes sense from your perspective, and I again apologize for making it this hard to read, but from my point of view, I either have a lot of it in my head, so I know precisely which map and which angle I want to use, and when I don't, I sort of plan to wing it, potentially changing the script on the fly to adapt to the technical limitations of the engine. Going into too much detail in describing these scenes, I feel like it would be counter-productive, though I do understand I am making it more difficult to provide feedback this way, and again - I apologize for it. If you still think this is something essential, even if just for the purposes of this conversation, I might insert some cues describing the locations, though please do understand, that from my perspective this is sort of sinking time into something that will only serve this specific forum thread.

yes, but not as a part of the plot. minor side character. Reason: don't complicate things, this is your first game. don't make it even harder than it is, the story idea you've got is more than enough.
See above.

is that supposed to be MC's first name or family name? If first, then it is quite an unusual name for a male in modern japan (although apparently historically it was considered a male name). If family, then it's a very unusual surname - this is the first time I've encountered it.
Ugh, yeah... This is my edgy last name I often use when creating male characters in games set in Japan xD I can be a pretty big edgelord, so I made a name using 黒 and 羽, but "Kuroha" sounded even weirder, so I settled for "Kureha". TBH, Jisho.org does list it as an existing family name though, just with different kanji... But I can understand if you may find it jarring when compared to rather commonplace family names of other characters. I might change it, or even allow user input when it comes to family name, though I am also not really going that hard for the whole "This is YOUR story" angle, so I am not sure how it would work out...

mc would not use the girls name there. Too formal for same-year students to use between each other.
I don't want to dismiss your viewpoint, considering you have a background working in Japanese society (longer than I do, at least when it comes to actually spending time there, haha), but I am pretty sure it would be weirder for him to use her first name here, considering they've just introduced themselves to each other. Unless there was some serious cultural shift in Japan during the last few years, I am convinced going by family names is the standard when it comes to someone you don't know, and if she was older than him, and he wanted to be formal, he'd use senpai, either as a form of address, or as a honorific suffix attached to her name. Plus, MC isn't exactly a social butterfly, so he's not supposed to be this open, extraverted guy who drops the honorifics as soon as possible, so...

I know this might be slipping too far into the "Anime knowledge" territory, though - personally - I wouldn't necessarily consider it a bad thing. I want to create a plausible, believeable setting, but it doesn't have to be 100% accurate to the real world, I guess.

Anyway, thank you very much for the response again! A lot of it was about formatting, but some stuff like the MC's name I will definitely consider, other things - I'd like to hear more of your thoughts in response to my own reasoning before I make any decisions. Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Hey Zoran89,

I'm going to try to convey my thoughts here politely but clearly, because I don't think I got across to you the first time. I'm finding it hard to put the message I want to convey into words without sounding like a dick. That may perhaps mean I *am* saying something dickish and should therefore shut-up. But I will persevere.

We don't know each other, and our only connection is you asking for feedback and me making a genuine attempt to do so. Why would I do this? It's not because I have any specific stake in your project. It's because I think I have some experience that might be valuable, and also that I like helping game developers improve their craft, because I want to see more quality adult games in the world.

What I wrote yesterday was my attempt to give you some *constructive* feedback, based on my several years of experience working with multiple game developers as their editor, decades of experience playing 100s of amateur and professional VN and H-games, and some formal education into creative writing. You can believe my attestations of experience or not, but I do think I know enough to make qualified suggestions.

The feedback on your prologue script did contain negatives. In particular, I think you have some plot problems, and in general the writing approach being more like a novel than a game script. I gave that specific feedback because in my opinion I think those are the areas that will most obviously cause you problems with your game quality.

I strongly urge you to reread my comments, and try to put yourself in an outsiders viewpoint, and consider why I would make those specific criticisms.

You are of course completely free to ignore or dismiss what I am saying.

Some specifics:

"some of the dialogue sections need to be trimmed to about half length "
I meant exactly what I wrote. From the viewpoint of an editor those sections are too wordy and wandering, and need to be CUT to convey the same meaning in less words.

"MC not even *recognizing* Sayuri"
"MC knowing nothing about Sayuri despite multiple classmates/yearmates knowing extensive gossip about her"
It is inconceivable to me that in any reasonably size school two students in the same year level would have never even set eyes on one another. Maybe never had a conversation, yes, but for MC to have never seen Sayuri even in passing despite having occupied the same hallways, school assemblies and lunchyards for more than 1 year... its just not feasible. And similar to this, humans are advanced social monkeys, and there is no way the various incidents with Sayuri could occur around MC without him at least hearing something about it over the multi-year timespan.

"first person vs second person vs third"
This point is one of the softer ones. As long as you are making a conscious choice then it is not as important. It is of course possible to use all sorts of tenses and viewpoints and still make something successful. However, consider this: Games are different creative writing targets than novels. As long as there are choices and control (even the illusion of control), players will have a sense of agency, and will self insert themselves as MC. If you want to encourage this, then second person is more effective. There is a reason why the large majority of games do not use first person viewpoint.

Zoran89

Aug 20, 2020
Ah, by no means I was trying to dismiss what you were saying, sorry if it came off that way. I disagree on a couple points, which I will get to in a minute, others I've simply misunderstood.

The feedback on your prologue script did contain negatives. In particular, I think you have some plot problems, and in general the writing approach being more like a novel than a game script. I gave that specific feedback because in my opinion I think those are the areas that will most obviously cause you problems with your game quality.
This is sort of ambiguous if you ask me. Yes, you've pointed out several aspects of the plot or dialogue you didn't like, but from my perspective, quite a bit of it seems like a difference of vision, rather than straight-up issues with continuity or internal logic. Perhaps I am simply not seeing the point you are trying to make, which is entirely possible.

I strongly urge you to reread my comments, and try to put yourself in an outsiders viewpoint, and consider why I would make those specific criticisms.
I will see what I can do.

"some of the dialogue sections need to be trimmed to about half length "
I meant exactly what I wrote. From the viewpoint of an editor those sections are too wordy and wandering, and need to be CUT to convey the same meaning in less words.
This is one of those points I completely misread at first - I genuinely thought you were referencing the formatting issues, not the length of the dialogue. As a rough estimate, what do you think should be the top character count for a single line, then? Because I assume that is what you mean?

"MC not even *recognizing* Sayuri"
"MC knowing nothing about Sayuri despite multiple classmates/yearmates knowing extensive gossip about her"
It is inconceivable to me that in any reasonably size school two students in the same year level would have never even set eyes on one another. Maybe never had a conversation, yes, but for MC to have never seen Sayuri even in passing despite having occupied the same hallways, school assemblies and lunchyards for more than 1 year... its just not feasible. And similar to this, humans are advanced social monkeys, and there is no way the various incidents with Sayuri could occur around MC without him at least hearing something about it over the multi-year timespan.
This is the point I would disagree with most strongly. Remembering my own middle school and high school days, as well as years in University, there were plenty of people who were in the same year, but not the same class or course, which I've surely seen, but haven't actually noticed. Think about it this way: MC is in class 2-D. Let's assume that a class in Itsuwari consists of roughly 25 people. That means that you have at least 100 people in your year alone, constantly going up and down the hallway - you cannot possibly convince me that you would be able to recognize every single one of those people, had they just suddenly appeared in front of you, without any context or explanation. Usually, you'd mostly concern yourself with people in the same class, having a group of 2-5 friends maybe, with maybe two friends in another class, who would be able to tell you something more about students from that other class. Other than that, you'd remember your classmates and clubmates, and anyone you didn't interact with on a regular basis - not to mention people you didn't interact with at all - would simply become the background. Especially if you are not interested in talking to other people, and the other party actively avoids contact with them, I don't think it's reasonable to expect MC to immediately recognize her, at least not as a matter of course.

Would there be people who would recognize someone based solely on seeing them from time to time, passing by on the corridor? Sure. I am by no means saying otherwise. But expecting that to be 100% norm, applied to everyone as something obvious, is a little too much.

That being said, him not hearing anything about the cafeteria incident or any of the rumours might really be a little far-fetched, so adding some mention of it might be good, but the argument that he should recognize her simply because she's in the same year (not class - year) just doesn't convince me.

"first person vs second person vs third"
This point is one of the softer ones. As long as you are making a conscious choice then it is not as important. It is of course possible to use all sorts of tenses and viewpoints and still make something successful. However, consider this: Games are different creative writing targets than novels. As long as there are choices and control (even the illusion of control), players will have a sense of agency, and will self insert themselves as MC. If you want to encourage this, then second person is more effective. There is a reason why the large majority of games do not use first person viewpoint.
I don't really know what to tell you, man. Like I said, I've read quite a few Japanese visual novels some years ago (FSN, Tsukihime, Ever17, Majikoi, Grisaia, G-Senjou no Maou, Clannad, Steins;Gate - just to name a few better known ones), and the second person narration in the present tense ("You open the door") is something I believe I've seen exclusively in western erotic VNs, most of which I've downloaded from this very site. I am not saying it is wrong, I am not saying my way is better, but I will definitely argue that it is by no means a necessity to feel invested in a story.

Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks for taking the message the way that I intended it. There is of course no one true path, and the most important thing is that you are enjoying yourself and can find the energy to keep at it even when the workload increases.

I genuinely look forward to seeing where you take this project, and will keep an eye out for future posts. If you're ever looking for alpha testers then hit me up.

Zoran89

Aug 20, 2020
osanaiko Thanks, however, if nothing else, it would help me if you'd at least give me some hints about how to identify the lines that need to be cut.

If I understood you correctly, this isn't just a matter of having too much text in one dialogue line, but rather having too many descriptors in one sentence. My writing and even speaking style tends to be pretty wordy, so it's hard to get a proper frame of reference of what is too much, which is why I am asking this.