I'm sick of the "returns home after... X" story line

EroPulse

Apr 18, 2020
Does this story sound familiar? "xx year old man/boy returns home after x years after (finishing school/getting kicked out/parent(s) dying/lost job/from jail)". There he tries to make amends with his mother and sisters. The older of the sisters is always the bitch you win over, and the younger sister always idolizes you and is innocent and naive but turns out to be a freak. The mother is all about her children. Queue the aunt or mothers best friend you will ultimately also hook up with.

For the love of god, I know the formula works, but please... can anyone think of something else?

I'm open to recommendations to stories that don't follow this premise!

Sorry about the rant.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
okay.

you won't like it when you find out most epic adventures in the last 2500 years follow the same format. the orphan always turns out to be the secret prince/savior.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Well, maybe avoid playing incest games?

There are not many options if you want to explain an adult living with his family to create an incest situation. Either the protagonist returns home or his family goes to live with him...

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Does this story sound familiar? "xx year old man/boy returns home after x years after (finishing school/getting kicked out/parent(s) dying/lost job/from jail)". There he tries to make amends with his mother and sisters.
As Meaning Less said, what do you expect ?

Of course, the MC retrieving his family feel odd, but a MC suddenly sexually craving for his family at the end of his puberty is even more stupid. It's obvious that the MC will lust for his family at the beginning of his puberty, therefore around 12-13 years old, this while the game will not starts before he's 18yo. So what ? He past 5-6 years lusting for them without trying anything, then suddenly will awake the day of his 18th birthday saying "yeah, now I'm of legal age to have sex, I can starts doing something that I shouldn't do at all, seduce my mother" ?

EroPulse

Apr 18, 2020
I understand it's the incest checklist. This was mostly an eye roll at all of the games that follow this story structure. I just switch over to the freshman college games before going back. :LOL:

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Heh, guilty as charged. This is the start of my game. In my case, a gay game. Where your mother kicks you out of the house when you get out of the closet to her at the 15th birthday of the MC. Ten years after that, he return to the city (not home though. He still hates his mother. No incest here either since the dad is dead).

I... think I used too many tropes here :ROFLMAO: Including an unnecessary "dad is dead" trope on a gay game (kinda like killing the mother in a straight game).

• Haha
Reactions: Cuzline

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
LOL. It's inevitable. Before this trope it was the coma/amnesia trope. Honestly prefer this trope since no one ever did those two right or put any real thought into them.

javier_himura

Jun 23, 2017
Of course, the MC retrieving his family feel odd, but a MC suddenly sexually craving for his family at the end of his puberty is even more stupid. It's obvious that the MC will lust for his family at the beginning of his puberty, therefore around 12-13 years old, this while the game will not starts before he's 18yo. So what ? He past 5-6 years lusting for them without trying anything, then suddenly will awake the day of his 18th birthday saying "yeah, now I'm of legal age to have sex, I can starts doing something that I shouldn't do at all, seduce my mother" ?
That is why I prefer incest games that have some magical/fantastic power or something similar that allow the MC to mind control/corrupt/change their female family members. With such a premise, we can infer the MC could have lusted for his family since puberty but until then it wasn't possible for him to do anything. This also helps to explain why no family member has any form of taboo, not even a single gesture of disgust, at the idea of having incest relationships.

Last edited:

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
Does this story sound familiar? "xx year old man/boy returns home after x years after (finishing school/getting kicked out/parent(s) dying/lost job/from jail)". There he tries to make amends with his mother and sisters. The older of the sisters is always the bitch you win over, and the younger sister always idolizes you and is innocent and naive but turns out to be a freak. The mother is all about her children. Queue the aunt or mothers best friend you will ultimately also hook up with.

For the love of god, I know the formula works, but please... can anyone think of something else?

Sorry about the rant.
Here's a good starting point for the recommendations you asked for: Story-first games

Reactions: Cuzline

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018
As Meaning Less said, what do you expect ?

There are still ways to do it without being contrived. Maybe MC rejected those feelings as a teen, but his experiences at college opened him up to taboo sexuality. Maybe MC moved out naturally but returned after a tragedy to find distance has changed how he sees his family. Maybe the MC already started an incestuous relationship with his sister and got kicked out because of it. At least those scenarios make sense. A lot of games are "MC got kicked out by his evil father/step-father as a teen and returns a triumphant millionaire after the bad man dies". I even saw one a couple days ago where the MC fought with his father and then left willingly despite his father being the one kicked out of the house. Why did he leave? Why didn't he stay in contact? Doesn't matter, the cliche just demands it happen this way. There are ways to use tropes, even overused tropes, well enough that people can enjoy it.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I even saw one a couple days ago where the MC fought with his father and then left willingly despite his father being the one kicked out of the house. Why did he leave? Why didn't he stay in contact?
I guess you're talking about Hidden Feelings, it have been updated yesterday and match more or less what you said. Except that, well... Despite the story being horribly cheap, both your questions have been answered in the game.
Firstly, he leaved because he thought that they will not love him anymore now that he fought his father. It's ridiculous, and presented in an even more ridiculous way, but at least it's a reason. And secondly he stayed in contact, since he helped to pay the bills. What is even more ridiculous since he's now incredibly rich.
Not that I blame you, it's really easy to miss the information between two yawns.

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018

Sorry about the rant.
tumblr_n8qxcfpbAD1qe6mn3o1_r1_500.gif

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: GreenGobbo
Apr 1, 2018

Sorry about the rant.
You forgot your old school friends and the childhood friend's cousin/sister who lived in the same neighborhood as you. Holy shit the mc has FOUR sisters plus the mom and two cousins plus the aunt INCEST OVERLOAD BABY! yeah we all been there

Last edited:

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
Okay okay okay, I've got it!
So in this story, when truck-kun shows up to isakae the MC, the MOM steps in the way and dies, not the dad. But the dad stepped in the gutter and tripped and fell down and hit his head, so now DAD is in the coma instead of the MC!
But since both parents are out of action the MC and his 2 sisters have no money! So then they sell the house to make ends meet and pay the hospital bills. They move to a small apartment in a new town closer to the hospital where dad is at, and the MC has to assert his dominance, errr.. make his sisters fall in love with him... before dad wakes up.

Oh and hospital bills are a bitch, so you gotta hustle your ass off to keep Dad alive or your sisters will hate you forever and move out. :D

Suuuure the setup is shit, but at least it's different, right?