Importing .dae model into Daz

FlipTopBin

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
I found a nice free model that I want to use in my game but it is in dae format, see

Now, Daz import can deal quite happily with this format and I get a lovely white all over RC Transmitter:

Now the .zip file also contains a load of texture files but I have no idea how to get them onto the model :(

Anybody done anything similar?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I found a nice free model that I want to use in my game but it is in dae format, see

Now, Daz import can deal quite happily with this format and I get a lovely white all over RC Transmitter:

Now the .zip file also contains a load of texture files but I have no idea how to get them onto the model :(

Anybody done anything similar?
Hmmm. Daz Studio can normally import DAE files with textures. (As shown in the video @polywog posted.) Did you extract all the files from the ZIP before you did the import into DS? Or did you just extract the DAE file itself? Wondering if the DAE file is referencing the textures "externally," and if you didn't have them extracted they didn't get found.

Assuming you did that correctly, it's possible that the DAE model you have doesn't actually have the textures applied internally. Also possible is that the DS import process isn't happy with some minor detail of the DAE file itself. (Many of DS's importers are quirky, and don't handle all the cases that are possible in the non-DS file formats.)

In that case, I can think of two possibilities:
  1. You might be able to apply the textures inside DS. To do this, you'd want to go inside the 'Surfaces' pane and try to match up the surfaces listed there with the texture files. Figuring out which texture file is what (diffuse, bump, normal) and for which surface it applied might be tricky or tedious.
  2. You might be able to import the DAE file into another program (Blender, Hexagon, etc.) that was more tolerant and would succeed at pulling everything in. From there, you might be able to re-export as a DAE and maybe DS would be happier, or you could try exporting in another format like FBX and seeing if DS was happier with that.

Reactions: mickydoo

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
If you plan on using iray with imported models... don't forget you have to sprinkle the magic dust on the textures.
see SickleYield for help with that.

FlipTopBin

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
There is also a glTF download option so I pulled that down and tried to load it into Blender 2.8 which support this but this is what I got:

I removed the base (the wood) from the scene and it rendered OK in Blender so I exported it as an OBJ and loaded it into Daz and guess what? A plain white model *sigh*

I am assuming there is something horribly wrong with this model and I should just stay away from it. So, if anybody has a nice RC Transmitter prop they could point me to I would be most grateful!

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
There is also a glTF download option so I pulled that down and tried to load it into Blender 2.8 which support this but this is what I got:

View attachment 294355

I removed the base (the wood) from the scene and it rendered OK in Blender so I exported it as an OBJ and loaded it into Daz and guess what? A plain white model *sigh*

I am assuming there is something horribly wrong with this model and I should just stay away from it. So, if anybody has a nice RC Transmitter prop they could point me to I would be most grateful!
It's not the model, there's something horribly wrong with Daz studio. You can export Daz models into blender, or any other 3D software, but Daz only wants you to use the stuff that they sell in Daz studio. Many people have tried to post tutorials on how to convert models to use in Daz studio, but Daz deletes them and bans you from the Daz forum.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I've never downloaded DAE but have DS and OBJ as well as FBX, the first ones I put in blender and export them as an FBX and manually apply the textures, usually works.

Edit - The DAE works, you just have work out the textures and manually add them
xradia.png

FlipTopBin

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
First, thanks to everybody who has replied. I love how helpful everybody is on this site.

@polywog Thats another nice model which Daz completly fails to import correctly. Blender does slightly better in that the textures are there but some of the detail like switches are missing. Exporting that to an FBX and loading into Daz gives a model of a dx9 that has been hot with a sledgehammer i.e. broken into bits

The DAE works, you just have work out the textures and manually add them
@mickydoo That was my original question :) I have no idea how to apply the textures manually. If you could talk me through how you got that far I will try and do the rest.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
@FlipTopBin

This isn't yours, I have a scene set up that I am working on but its the same process. In the surfaces tab -
02-05-2019 17-09-54.png

Click on the little square and browse to where your textures are. If you scroll down you will see a bump/normal tab and a glossy tab where I believe the specular goes, unsure though as I dont bother with them. Its just a matter of trial and error to get the right ones matched up.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Skethup has interesting file format. Models has front and backfaces. If creator does not care face alignement, exports end up like your render.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017

It's been a while since I used Blender, but as I recall there's an additional step you have to take during the export to get the material and texture files output when you're exporting your OBJ. Possible that you missed that? (There are probably tutorials online.)