Increase Auto-Forward

Ramsay_Bolton

Jul 24, 2018
Seriously, it needs to be increased at least twice. I max it in every game and can easily read the text twice. And English is my second language. It's almost impossible to find a game where Auto-Forward can give you enough speed, most of the time it's slow af. Developers please consider making it faster.

TheHighSpire

Feb 1, 2020
It's often either so fast that it's mostly used for skipping over parts you already read or not fast enough. Though, imo, it's usually the first which are the case. I guess it depends on the genre etc.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I max it in every game and can easily read the text twice.
I assume that you are talking about Ren'py, so I'll just throw an information : The value is the waiting time.

So, yes, if you max it, you have the time to make a coffee between each dialog. But if you lower it, you can achieve to find a delay that fit your desire.

Ramsay_Bolton

Jul 24, 2018
I assume that you are talking about Ren'py, so I'll just throw an information : The value is the waiting time.

So, yes, if you max it, you have the time to make a coffee between each dialog. But if you lower it, you can achieve to find a delay that fit your desire.
Ffs I was always doing the opposite, turns out. I've been playing these games for 2 years lol. Thanks really!

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
I have a "patch" file that I copy to every new game I play which sets the defaults I prefer.
You need to do it before you play the game for the first time, but other than that - it's simplicity itself.

Maybe you could adapt it to your own default preferences?

Python:
default preferences.text_cps = 36
default preferences.afm_time = 6.5

init 990 python:
    config.developer = True
    config.console = True

config.default_music_volume = 0.15
    config.default_sfx_volume = 0.5

config.default_fullscreen = False
    config.keymap['toggle_afm'].append("alt_K_PAGEUP")

if hasattr("config", "has_sync"):
        config.has_sync = False

preferences.afm_time is the auto-forward timer.

I'm also switching on developer stuff, setting my preferred music volume and adding a keybind to toggle auto-forward off and on for all games (including those that hide the quickmenu).
It works 99% of the time, but every so often I come across a game where the dev has REALLY gone out of their way to mess with the RenPy internals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramsay_Bolton

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I have a "patch" file that I copy to every new game I play which sets the defaults I prefer.
You need to do it before you play the game for the first time, but other than that - it's simplicity itself.

Maybe you could adapt it to your own default preferences?

Python:
default preferences.text_cps = 36
default preferences.afm_time = 8

init 990 python:
    config.developer = True
    config.console = True

config.default_music_volume = 0.15
    config.default_sfx_volume = 0.5

config.default_fullscreen = False
    config.keymap['toggle_afm'].append("alt_K_PAGEUP")

preferences.afm_time is the auto-forward timer.

I'm also switching on developer stuff, setting my preferred music volume and adding a keybind to toggle auto-forward off and on for all games (including those that hide the quickmenu).
It works 99% of the time, but every so often I come across a game where the dev has REALLY gone out of their way to mess with the RenPy internals.
I finally found this to restore auto functionality when devs insist on removing the quick bar.

First, I just wanna say thanks. Is there a value for instant text speed? Setting text_cps to 999 or something still isn't instant.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Is there a value for instant text speed? Setting text_cps to 999 or something still isn't instant.

It should only be the default value. You can go into the game preference and set it to something else (unless I misinterpreted how to should work).

The easiest way if you want to continue to use this file, but don't like my personal choices... would be to just remove that line completely (or comment it out by putting a # at the beginning of the line). It'll use the RenPy default (which is 0), instead of overriding it.

If you want to keep the line, but want it instant, just change it to 0. default preferences.text_cps = 0

It's covered in the documentation if you want to read more, or want to override other settings.

• Red Heart
Reactions: desmosome