Wape

Game Developer
Apr 8, 2018
Hi.

The internet dating thing is a feature I've made for several games I've worked on, but this one is the simplest iteration of that idea. Basically, it's scissor-rock-paper, but there is also a bonus chance to win each throw based entirely on... actually I forget. One of your scores, P or S I think.

It's just a simple dumb feature. Might expand on it in II. If I don't significantly expand on it, I'll leave it out entirely.

MisterAnon04

May 30, 2018
Hi.

The internet dating thing is a feature I've made for several games I've worked on, but this one is the simplest iteration of that idea. Basically, it's scissor-rock-paper, but there is also a bonus chance to win each throw based entirely on... actually I forget. One of your scores, P or S I think.

It's just a simple dumb feature. Might expand on it in II. If I don't significantly expand on it, I'll leave it out entirely.
Wait, seriously? I thought it was just random. Whenever I 'won' a round, I would remember the emoji and try that next time, but it didn't work. After about 10 games (as in all 7 ngihts) I just gave up and started save scumming, as you'll eventually get through.

You've gotten me curious, I'm going to try and look at the HTML document. Hopefully I manage to find something out.

MisterAnon04

May 30, 2018
Hi.

Okay, found the code. You're sort of right, but also sort of wrong. There is code for a Scissors-Paper-Rock game, but the final check was commented out. Instead what is actually being checked is "random(60) + $loveScore * 2 > random(1,100)".

Not sure if that's how you intended it, but it's what is in v1.5.3. Also, here is the source code (with modifications to make it readable) if anyone's interested like I was.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Wape

MisterAnon04

May 30, 2018
This is the second time I've tried to download 1.5.3 and the images don't show up. :/
That's because the 1.5.3 version is an upgrade. It doesn't have the images, just the new .html file. That's why it says "Upgrade to 1.5.3". If you want the images, you need to download the 1.5 version first, then move the 1.5.3 .html file into the same location as the 1.5 one and delete the 1.5 one.

SaltNVinegarChipz

Jan 20, 2019
That's because the 1.5.3 version is an upgrade. It doesn't have the images, just the new .html file. That's why it says "Upgrade to 1.5.3". If you want the images, you need to download the 1.5 version first, then move the 1.5.3 .html file into the same location as the 1.5 one and delete the 1.5 one.
Alright, thanks

Wape

Game Developer
Apr 8, 2018
Okay, found the code. You're sort of right, but also sort of wrong. There is code for a Scissors-Paper-Rock game, but the final check was commented out. Instead what is actually being checked is "random(60) + $loveScore * 2 > random(1,100)".

Not sure if that's how you intended it, but it's what is in v1.5.3. Also, here is the source code (with modifications to make it readable) if anyone's interested like I was.
Ha, I stand corrected... about the mechanics of my own game.
You mentioned save scumming. I think there's an even simpler exploit: try hitting refresh. Almost all the random stuff in the game will get rerolled when you reload the page. This should work to do other randomly decided things like impregnating Darlene Weathers for example. It's a shortcoming of Twine I'm interested in finding a simple workaround for.
Well Wape when will you release your next game approximately?
I have no idea. The thing I'm working on is programming intensive, and I'm bad at programming, and also I am incredibly susceptible to feature creep. (You can see a sampling of what I'm working on on my website, though I haven't posted a new sample in a while.)

Reactions: Datawungui

MisterAnon04

May 30, 2018
Ha, I stand corrected... about the mechanics of my own game.
You mentioned save scumming. I think there's an even simpler exploit: try hitting refresh. Almost all the random stuff in the game will get rerolled when you reload the page. This should work to do other randomly decided things like impregnating Darlene Weathers for example. It's a shortcoming of Twine I'm interested in finding a simple workaround for.

I have no idea. The thing I'm working on is programming intensive, and I'm bad at programming, and also I am incredibly susceptible to feature creep. (You can see a sampling of what I'm working on on my website, though I haven't posted a new sample in a while.)
Huh. That's strange. I always thought that refreshing the page would cause it to go to the Introduction page that appears when you start the game. But it looks like I was mistaken. Thanks for the tip, it will make my time with other Twine games so much easier. Save scumming is surprisingly annoying (I really don't think the system was made with this in mind).

Also Incubus City hasn't been 'completed' yet, so in the next version you could re-add the scissors-paper-rock game. As you saw most of the code is already there, it just needs to be used.

Dante

Aug 12, 2016
Yo does anyone know how to get the 'big' token??? It's literally the last thing left for me to get in this game.

MisterAnon04

May 30, 2018
Yo does anyone know how to get the 'big' token??? It's literally the last thing left for me to get in this game.
Congrats on nearly 100%-ing the game. Looking at the code, you need to marry Val, the blond drunk. She's the one you find at "a drunken lush". Once you get her marriage ending, you should get the token.

Dante

Aug 12, 2016
Congrats on nearly 100%-ing the game. Looking at the code, you need to marry Val, the blond drunk. She's the one you find at "a drunken lush". Once you get her marriage ending, you should get the token.
Thank you!! Alright now i just wait on the sequel

tgp31

Aug 17, 2018
For some unknown reasons Midnight Fence disappears when I start God Emperor NG+ option it only gives me "cast amnesia upon the city" option. And in one save I have no Midnight Fence in menu of any NG+ start. only "cast amnesia upon the city" option is enabled even when I select no bonus start. I have not bought any dropper or sponge from him. Is this a bug? or is it normal? I am attaching my 2 saves one is just after I have unlocked every ending and NG+ starts which has the 1st problem I mentioned above. 2nd save is what gives me more trouble which has 2nd problem I mentioned above. View attachment 236927 View attachment 236928
hey Wape, have you looked into this problem? not found any solution. I don't want to start over because of tokens I have collected.

Wape

Game Developer
Apr 8, 2018
Regarding the Midnight Fence, he is meant to be inaccessible when you play as God Emperor. The intended meaning behind this is that he recognizes who/what you are an is confused by your presence at that point. He doesn't remember much, but he knows that it is not yet time for gods to walk the earth once more.

Reactions: tgp31
4.50 star(s) 56 Votes