Intel Gathering for a new game

Omnivar

Mar 15, 2019
Hello all,

I'm just embarking on my first attempt at dev'ing a game and I wanted to put out a few questions to my prospective audience about the content to see if I can get a little feedback.

..::Inspirations::..
Various solid Twine games such as Young Maria and The Company
I Walk Among Zombies
Zombie's Retreat

..::Concept::..
Male MC who survives an encounter with the undead and is, from that day on, ignored by them. He begins to venture out into the city to find other survivors but keeps himself separate from them, fearful of how they would react to his immunity. Players will choose how he interacts with various groups (either becoming a hero or a tyrant), becomes intimate with various survivors (either because the character has genuine affection or is coerced), uncovers more about his condition and the undead, builds plans for the future and will eventually establish a unified colony under his control (Presently that is my 'End' state and may continue past it in future or use that as the starting point of the next game).

..::Questions::..
What sort of groups and characters would you be interested in seeing (or being intimate with)?

I Currently only track 3 stats for each group: Reputation, Safety and Supplies. I set it up that was as the player is expected to be managing these stats across 4 or 5 different groups (though over time and with investment the player can make these easier to manage). Does this seem sufficient or would players rather have more to deal with?

How comfortable are players with content locked by choices? For example a story event unlocking a unique scene with one character but making alternate scenes with the other characters unavailable unless the game is replayed.

How 'all knowing' would players be comfortable with the MC being when it comes to stats. I can currently see three approaches: 'Perfect Knowledge' - you have full access to the stats of all the groups at all times, 'Vague Knowledge' - You get a description of the stats for each group that gives you a rough gauge of the stat (e.g. few = 1 - 3, many = 4 - 6, lots =7 - 10), Or 'You have to Ask' - You have a stat screen you can look at which shows the numbers but those numbers are only updated when you visit a group and get an update on the situation.

..::Comments::..
Feel free to throw in any other comments, sugestions or questions you have for me, I'll do my best to answer them.