Intentionally putting bugs in a game to get people to subscribe will cause me to unsubscribe.

grtrader

Feb 11, 2019
I get you want to make money. And I know why you do it. A lot of people aren't subscribing.
But when you intentionally put a bug in you aren't just inconveniencing them but those of us who do subscribe and its disrespectful.
When I can tell you done that you can go fuck yourself and any support I ever gave or would ever again in the future is gone.

It doesn't matter if you are Using Renpy or RPGM both have scripts and file directories and a simple comparison on the files structures and directories will tell me everything I need to know. There are a crap load of programs that can do file comparisons and show the differences in them. Even just looking at sections of a file.
Something like the engine manufacture putting a space in a file name vs where it previously had none is easily excusable. But when you do shit like put in majorly nonsense names that have nothing in common with any file in the directory and even translate to nonstandard ascii that is fucking obvious as hell. Especially when the rest of the area hasn't been changed.
What that indicates is someone intentionally looked through the file looking for a png file to change the name of to intentionally cause an error.

It becomes even more obvious when the primary download isn't updated so other subscribers aren't inconvenience and instead you create another installer updater that people have to get.

Here is my answer. Even if you came on this site and posted on Patreon an appollgy to all your subscribers promising you will never do it again I won't be coming back to you. I am sure there are some people who will continue subscribing because they haven't a back bone or self worth to say no to your behavior and then others who will continue if an appology is issued. But me I don't give second chances like that. If you weren't scum you wouldn't do it in the first place.

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
I don't think I've played a game were the bugs have been intentionally put in to force people to pay for the actual version, I'm not saying it's not done. But, to me, it just sounds like a shitty move.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] I'm not saying it's not done. But, to me, it just sounds like a shitty move.
It also need a strong knowledge, because voluntarily creating bugs that aren't so obvious that you should have caught them yourself, is far to be something anyone can do. And if you're smart enough to know how to do it, then you're also smart enough to know why you shouldn't do it.

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
It also need a strong knowledge, because voluntarily creating bugs that aren't so obvious that you should have caught them yourself, is far to be something anyone can do. And if you're smart enough to know how to do it, then you're also smart enough to know why you shouldn't do it.
Yeah, I get making mistakes, happens to the best of us. But.. creating a bug in your game purposely? Never heard/seen that one before.

Reactions: Bakkalon

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Hmmm interesting..... On other side there is developers that do bugs more than games and their games is popular :)

• Haha
Reactions: SeventhVixen

Dependable_223

Engaged Member
Jan 3, 2019
Are you sure it was intentional ?? you do realise how difficult it is to program ?? building a code from scratch is not a simple thing.you can still have very good structure but still it will difficult to debug your own code.

Reactions: 8873672413434

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Are you talking about Lida's adventures 2?
I doubt that it was intetional. But having 131 scripts/plugins loaded in the game with 106 of them enabled/active can make a game very buggy and unpredictible.
On the other hand if, as you claim, he really asked you to pay another 20 dollars for the next-day fix, you have every reason to be angry...

grtrader

Feb 11, 2019
Generally the way to tell if a bug is intentionally or not is how much changes around the bug have happened.
Lets just look at a single scene to make this easy. You can look at the old code and files and if nothing really changed controlling that scene then there shouldn't be a reason for anything to have changed in it.
Take that same scene and lets say you are using content provided by the game engine developer such as rpgm and they change a name of something such as add space in it. Then that's not the game developers fault that's just stupidity on the game engine company. I say stupidity on their part because now all the games that relied on the content are broken till the author fixes them.
In some cases that might be never and people may still want to play the game but they will start associating broken games with their engine.

Any programmer worth his salt knows how to use file compare systems and look for differences. It can be especially useful in finding areas bugs got injected during a revision. Some times your asshole coworker doesn't bother to write down or tell people about a change they made or they leave the company because they were shit heads to start. Yes, I dealt with a few of them unfortunately.

Then there are things like file names and directory structures. There is little to no reason to change files around other than better organization and control of content. So if you see files being names especially with names that don't fall into what the rest in the directory are using that's a pretty good hint. Even a better hint is when the schlep programmer ends up typing in a bunch of hexcode values for characters that no one uses in file names. They can't claim it was some sort of accident when they typed in nearly 2 dozen characters to enter that string. They might get away with saying they were high on drugs. But if they were that high doubt they could function well enough to actually make that entry.

Bugs in addons or plugins and APIs I generally chalk up to the people who created them. That said I have seen programmers attempt to make changes to an plugins and such to modify them a bit and inject their own issues.
99% of the time when I catch intentional bugs they are inside the person's own code. It's easier for them to keep control over it and create a fix for it. If people found bugs in a plugin that doesn't have it in other games it becomes automatically suspect. Also they could just go to the source or from another game that uses it.

As for the Question on Lida's Adventure. Decide for yourself. There is countless free file comparison software.
Then look at the missing file names do any of them fall out side the bounds of being an accidental typo or difference?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Bugs can happen, even those that seem to be done on purpose.
Just a few weeks ago I had added elves ears in my game, they seemed to work fine so I released the update but then later on while testing other stuff, I noticed that in the character menu my character had elves ears even if he didn't choose them... Turns out I had forgotten to change the state of a bool.

Bugs are a failure, not as much as abandoning a project of course but a failure regardless: No one wants to do that on purpose or even crazier think that will get a reward for it.
Judging from your post history, I am going to assume that you look too much into things and often in a negative light... Be more positive!

That being said, if someone truly would do that and ask or make a whole release just to fix bugs (20$ release at that o.o), I think people are also at fault by supporting that.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

grtrader

Feb 11, 2019
Bugs can happen, even those that seem to be done on purpose.
Just a few weeks ago I had added elves ears in my game, they seemed to work fine so I released the update but then later on while testing other stuff, I noticed that in the character menu my character had elves ears even if he didn't choose them... Turns out I had forgotten to change the state of a bool.

Bugs are a failure, not as much as abandoning a project of course but a failure regardless: No one wants to do that on purpose or even crazier think that will get a reward for it.
Judging from your post history, I am going to assume that you look too much into things and often in a negative light... Be more positive!

That being said, if someone truly would do that and ask or make a whole release just to fix bugs (20$ release at that o.o), I think people are also at fault by supporting that.
What you are talking about is easily recognizable as just a mistake.
What I am talking about isn't. It's rather easily recognizable by people like myself who have gotten paid by both private companies and federal agencies to analyze code. There are plenty of unscrupulous programmers out there that try and milk project for more money.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I wasn't joking when I said nothing gets you patrons faster than spelling and grammar mistakes in your work, and especially in your Patreon posts. There are a lot of people out there scouring the internet looking for spelling mistakes. When they find one they get all warm and fuzzy inside, it's intoxicating for them and can't contain themselves. The urge to correct your bad spelling is so strong that they will gladly pay you for the opportunity to demonstrate their superior spelling ability correcting your mistakes.
Don't feel guilty about taking their money, you're doing the world a favor. They enjoy correcting spelling mistakes, it gives them a sense of accomplishment - purpose in their otherwise dull life. If you could see their faces, you'd swear that they just had an orgasm, knowing that their mom, and their English teacher would be proud. How could you deprive them of that. If they message you pointing out your spelling mistakes, DON'T get mad, or you'll scare them away. Thank them, and you've got them on the hook... within a day or two, they will become a subscriber.

Reactions: mickydoo