Interested in animation, what do I look for?

war40k

Mar 12, 2021
I'm new but interested in learning animations etc, what do I look for on this site to find animation source files. Do artists on patreon regularly give these out? Please thanks

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
You didn't specify "for what package." Assuming you're talking about Daz Studio, there are basically two categories of animations "out there:"
  • Aniblocks are animation components that you can (usually) stitch together in combinations to create different effects. To create/edit Aniblocks, you'll want to have AniMate2 installed in your Daz Studio.
  • There are quite a few third party (lewd) animations that are sold, and are available "in the wild". These may or may not be useful in learning to animate yourself, because they're almost always "keyframe for every parameter for every frame" type things. (Probably produced in other applications and shifted over into Daz Studio as BVH's or FBX's.)
However, if you're interested in learning the fundamentals of animation (as distinct from "how do I animate in a specific program") there are a lot of tutorials out on Youtube. There are also many for Blender, since Blender has very good animation support, and is free. Once you grasp the basic concepts, then turning around and applying them to a particular program is a matter of learning that specific program's controls.

Reactions: war40k

war40k

Mar 12, 2021
You didn't specify "for what package." Assuming you're talking about Daz Studio, there are basically two categories of animations "out there:"
  • Aniblocks are animation components that you can (usually) stitch together in combinations to create different effects. To create/edit Aniblocks, you'll want to have AniMate2 installed in your Daz Studio.
  • There are quite a few third party (lewd) animations that are sold, and are available "in the wild". These may or may not be useful in learning to animate yourself, because they're almost always "keyframe for every parameter for every frame" type things. (Probably produced in other applications and shifted over into Daz Studio as BVH's or FBX's.)
However, if you're interested in learning the fundamentals of animation (as distinct from "how do I animate in a specific program") there are a lot of tutorials out on Youtube. There are also many for Blender, since Blender has very good animation support, and is free. Once you grasp the basic concepts, then turning around and applying them to a particular program is a matter of learning that specific program's controls.
Ah, I mean I'm very new I don't even know the questions to ask. Never heard of Daz before this. I'll look into that. So for learning art I would want .psd files to learn from. I just don't know what the 3d animation version of a .psd would be if that makes sense from a noobie perspective. When I look for psd's on here many artists will include them in their patreons, what would be the 3d anim equivalent of that. But I'll look at ani blocks. It's hard to search "animation" because alot of results will appear.

EDIT: Jeez I did not realize that it was able to be transferred into major game engines. I'm just doing RPG maker stuff atm. Daz looks amazing. It'll be sometime before I even get to that point but thank you for the information.

Last edited:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Ah, I mean I'm very new I don't even know the questions to ask. Never heard of Daz before this. I'll look into that. So for learning art I would want .psd files to learn from. I just don't know what the 3d animation version of a .psd would be if that makes sense from a noobie perspective. When I look for psd's on here many artists will include them in their patreons, what would be the 3d anim equivalent of that. But I'll look at ani blocks. It's hard to search "animation" because alot of results will appear.

EDIT: Jeez I did not realize that it was able to be transferred into major game engines. I'm just doing RPG maker stuff atm. Daz looks amazing. It'll be sometime before I even get to that point but thank you for the information.
Ah, OK. Sorry I made assumptions.

Daz Studio (daz3d.com) is a very commonly-used 3D rendering package. A lot of the games you see here that have realistic-looking graphics (as opposed to "obviously hand drawn") produced their graphics with Daz Studio. With it, you can do "keyframe animation" by creating a sequence of renders in which the figures move just a bit with each frame. Essentially identical to how "classic cartoons" were done, except computerized instead of done by hand. "Aniblocks" are a "thing" specific to Daz Studio - they provide a way of recording and reusing a portion of an animation. (A hand wave, for example, or a portion of a walk.)

So, let me ask a more basic question. Assuming that you did understand how to produce an animation, what tools did you anticipate using to produce it? You mention .psd files. Were you anticipating drawing the animations in Photoshop? If I have an idea where you're going with that, I might be able to advise you better.