Interested in creating a game, knows nothing about it

• Thread starter Deleted member 584847
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 584847

Morning gens.

As title says, I might be interested in creating something but I dont have any knowledge when it comes to that so lets just say that Im curoius about what would I need to create a game.
Im not asking about detailed explanation, I dont want to take much fo your time but I'd be happy if you could tell me what kind of programs would I need and lets use a game "Kingdom of Deception" as a template.
Im assuming something for the actual coding stuff (renpy in this instance), something for animations/art but i doubt thats it. I know that I may look for other ppl that would do the animations stuff for me but Id like to know how the... process of creating a game works first :)

Thank you!
B.

Reactions: Xaøs

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Usually for me it starts with a really simple idea with maybe some features in mind but you don't really know how well things work unless you prototype them imo. Depending on what game you want to make is sort of important when developing as certain engines are more suited for certain genres than others however that might also mean working within specific limitations of that engine. If you want to make a visual novel with nothing more than some simple choices and maybe some stats then you could use renpy. If you want to make anything that involves stuff like collisions between game objects then you are better off using something like Unity, Unreal Engine, Gamemaker Studio, or Clickteam Fusion. That being said I can't really call myself a true game developer yet. I haven't publicly released anything I've made so take what I've said with a grain of salt. :ROFLMAO:

Zachy

Spark Of Life
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 6, 2017
If you really want to use Ren'py, learning Phyton should be your first priority.

After that, learn how to actually use Phyton with the engine, and start doing some little "test" games. Explore what the engine has to offer you, play with the options and even try doing some little games. It's pretty much trial and error.

Never try using your main idea to develop your first game, as you'd want to have certain level of experience before doing it. You don't need an artist on the early stages of your game (basically because it'll be extremely hard to find one, or expensive in case you want to hire one). You may do your own placeholders for your game scenes, or maybe you could use a posing program like Daz or Koikatsu!

Reactions: lancelotdulak

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
If you really want to use Ren'py, learning Phyton should be your first priority.

After that, learn how to actually use Phyton with the engine, and start doing some little "test" games. Explore what the engine has to offer you, play with the options and even try doing some little games. It's pretty much trial and error.
I wouldnt start with this. Learning to code isn't something light to start with, and can easily burn you out before you actually started developing anything.

I would just start with ren'py in its base form, combined with Daz for base rendering (using the pirated assets from this site), and learn what you need for your final game idea, while just experimenting with the programs. Better to learn the basics, then throwing yourself into the deep end with learning to code.

Besides a lot of the parts that would require coding for Ren'py, can easily be found online. It might require some adjusting, but I found it easier learning coding by seeing what somebody ells did, and trying to alter it to your own wishes, then starting from scratch. (might be differently for you though).

Anyway a game development starts with a story, or to a lesser extent an idea. You don't have to write your whole story before creating anything ells, but having at least the general storyline done, helps a lot. You can always add parts halfway though, but if you got a clear ending your working too, story writing becomes a lot easier.

Then you got to pick an art style and engine. While every art style can be used with every engine, some combos are just better than others. Pixal art in a ren'py visual novel would look weird, but would be fine for a dungeon crawler or RPG game in RPGmaker or unity for example.

Artwise you can or rely on DAZ to create your renders with using premade assets (which most people do on here), create your own art (is done sporadically here), or pay an artist/team up with one, to create your art. Paying an artist will become rather expensive very quickly, while teaming up with an artist can be great, but you got to find a good artist, and be rather flexible in what style art you want. You really got to put in your head, that it will no longer be your game, but our game, as in you and the artist.

D

Deleted member 584847

thanks guys! I didnt want to bother you with long explanations but you did it anyway, awesome :) will look in to it!

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
It really depends on what sort of game you want to make, I make games in renpy.

When it comes to making a game you need 3 things.

1) Coding
2) Visual Art
3) Writing

When getting started here was my process:

Step 1 = Download Renpy
Step 2 = Play the tutorial renpy game
Step 3 = Watch tutorial videos about both Renpy and Python
Step 4 = Take a random small game and reverse engineer it, modify it very lightly. Trim the small game down to almost nothing and make some changes tinker around some more learn how it works. Repeat this a few times
Step 5 = Make your own "practice game" Make something really simple.

And when you do make that practice game don't worry if it's quality or not. Just worry if it works or not. It can literally be anything such as a choice to pick your nose or not then follow it up with fling it or wipe it in a tissue. This is just to get experience with the mechanics.

Now of course what I just told you will only leave you with the coding portion as something you can do. You must learn how to write or make visual art on your own as there are a number of ways to go about this. Just keep practicing.

Everyone is going to have a weak point... My weak point is visual art.