Interested in creating an anime parody game.

pandorasujinlee

Mar 12, 2022
Hello. First post on here, so forgive me if it is utter shit.
I want to create a game where the setting and characters are from popular anime, but I dont know how fast i can output and stuff, so I have a few questions.

Also if im in the wrong forum please forgive me and redirect me.

1. what type of game should it be? For example: card game, rpg, not visual novel
2. what anime? Im thinking JJK, One piece, Naruto or DBZ
3. what are the copyright laws? (If anyone knows off the bat) For example: Will i get sued if i set up a patreon for donations?

Right now im making a base rpg “game”, and was originally thinking of multiple animes, but I think I’ll start with only one anime first.

Wankyudo

Jul 26, 2017
3. what are the copyright laws? (If anyone knows off the bat) For example: Will i get sued if i set up a patreon for donations?
Just to answer this off the bat; you might not get sued but that doesn't mean you're protected from getting sued. Comes with the territory of using someone else's IP and opening a tip jar to make money off of it. Forum goers aren't a good substitute for a lawyer to ask important questions like this to. People here can tell you that you're probably fine because they aren't the ones who will be at risk for it. You are.

pandorasujinlee

Mar 12, 2022
Just to answer this off the bat; you might not get sued but that doesn't mean you're protected from getting sued. Comes with the territory of using someone else's IP and opening a tip jar to make money off of it. Forum goers aren't a good substitute for a lawyer to ask important questions like this to. People here can tell you that you're probably fine because they aren't the ones who will be at risk for it. You are.
Thanks for the answer
I'm planning to research the copyright stuff once I have somewhat of a playable game. I was just wondering how games like Something Unlimited get away with their parodies. Although it would be nice to make some money off of it, I don't mind making nothing if it's too much of a hassle legally. The money would just make me prioritize it more, but I'm not gonna risk legal action for like $12.
Once again thank you for the answer.

Sgt. M

Nov 29, 2018
i recommend using an anime that doesn't have a million different games, abandoned or not. A good DBZ corruption trainer without Roshi as the MC would be interesting. However, some anime that have no games or less than 3 would be: Rosario + Vampire, Danganronpa, Persona 5 (just persona 5 characters and there was an anime and manga), Digimon (would be amazing to have a corruption trainer game that isn't just Renamon), Highschool of the Dead, Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon, Dr. Stone, Fate Grand Order, RWBY, Welcome to demon school Iruma, Fairy Tail (I have only found 2 and they are abandoned), or Food Wars. these are simply suggestions.

Reactions: pandorasujinlee

pandorasujinlee

Mar 12, 2022
i recommend using an anime that doesn't have a million different games, abandoned or not. A good DBZ corruption trainer without Roshi as the MC would be interesting. However, some anime that have no games or less than 3 would be: Rosario + Vampire, Danganronpa, Persona 5 (just persona 5 characters and there was an anime and manga), Digimon (would be amazing to have a corruption trainer game that isn't just Renamon), Highschool of the Dead, Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon, Dr. Stone, Fate Grand Order, RWBY, Welcome to demon school Iruma, Fairy Tail (I have only found 2 and they are abandoned), or Food Wars. these are simply suggestions.
I guess I'm a bit boring since I'm really only familiar with dbz. It is a good point to put out a game that isn't already done a 100 times already. I'll try and look into fairy tail, dr. stone or persona 5 a bit since I kinda know a bit about those.

Wankyudo

Jul 26, 2017
Thanks for the answer
I'm planning to research the copyright stuff once I have somewhat of a playable game. I was just wondering how games like Something Unlimited get away with their parodies. Although it would be nice to make some money off of it, I don't mind making nothing if it's too much of a hassle legally. The money would just make me prioritize it more, but I'm not gonna risk legal action for like $12.
Once again thank you for the answer.
Unless your game becomes big enough to hit the radar of the IP holders; there's a time frame where they're less likely to do something about it. Key word being less likely. However, if your game does well? If it hits the search results then that less likely turns into a more likely. Something Unlimited as you pointed out; is able to do their parody game because it is a parody and fair use protects parodies to a certain extent. But that doesn't mean it's infallible. Their name was Injustice Unlimited until that topped Warners Injustice game in the search results and led them into getting a Cease and Desist just from the name. You can also look at the number of nintendo games on here that have been abandoned because of nintendo actively hamming down on them.

Big takeaway is just..if you don't mind making nothing because of the legal hassles then just pursue it as a way of expressing yourself artistically. Parody games as a whole are hamfisted with land mines that you have to navigate through just to make sure people like Warner, Disney, Nintendo, etc. don't pull your intestines through your ass because you took a dollar for their IP. It's the quickest way to have your hobby turn into your nightmare.

Reactions: pandorasujinlee