Interested in voices?

Lirix

Sep 18, 2017

I stumbled across this on a youtube video earlier, and thought it might be an interesting tool for some budding projects here. It is effectively a more robust text-to-speech tool. Not free in the long term, but does have a free taste currently offered. I have no relation to the service or with the website, so I can't really offer much beyond the heads up.

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
I highly doubt most players won't be able to tell that it's a synthetic voice after only a few lines, but it's impressive none-the-less. I probably wouldn't mind it, as an extra option over nothing. Personally I have a fairly low tolerance for bad-to-middling voice acting and I'd probably prefer a robot over an untrained human. Nothing breaks the immersion faster than when you hear the actor, not the character, reading their lines and doing their darndest to sound authentic.

As an aside, I recently tried implementing text-to-speech in my own game (just using the standard Windows API) and while it was really funny to hear a robot say words like 'pussy' and 'cock', the novelty soon wore off. Even if I made it an optional feature I doubt many players would leave it on. Also, I had to do some extra work to get it to properly pronounce words like 'cum' and 'fellatio'. Sometimes you have to do a lot of massaging to get a word to sound right, and the less of that the better.

Last edited:

Lirix

Sep 18, 2017
Well bawlz. Got excited and blew my load early, and now everyone's disappointed.

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
Normally, I wouldn't put too much weight into terms of service agreements. They're usually only there to give the company an out in case their service is used in ways that could discredit them or damage their brand. But since it's a cloud-based service and there's nothing to download and run on your own computer, they probably have server-side word filters, or at the very least, a log of every user's submitted phrases. Just in case.

It's hard to know. Most web-based solutions tend to be pretty ass in the long term anyways.

Reactions: anon8525

Grim Fantasia

May 13, 2021
You could also take a look at other approaches for text-to-speech. There have been some really promising developments in the recent years. On github you can download a software (Real-Time Voice Cloning) that allows you to feed in voice samples together with an arbitrary text and the AI gives you the spoken text sounding almost exactly like the voice from the voice sample.

Since all this runs locally on your computer there are no word filters and you can basically do whatever you want :D