Ren'Py - Interstellar Harem [2023_Week23] [Lithelike Studio]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Zmobie1

This is a thoroughly delightful preview VN.

You are a cunning covert operative who is trying to rescue a bunch of girls who have eloped from an exclusive intergalactic finishing school on some mysterious _purpose_. Usually you are in control of the situation, sometimes you are not.

The writing is professional, the environment is detailed, the girls we meet in the introduction are not wilting princesses in need of saving: they have distinct personalities, expertises, and various hidden agendas. The ai cg is a nice break from daz renders, but it is not particularly well developed yet, just a few character models, some in obviously uncomfortable clothes and some not. (It looks like ChikMix or one of the other "k-doll" variants, I think.)

The author does a nice job of occasionally interjecting with meta commentary about what is and isn't complete, future plans, etc., which is nice. Most preview-builds really don't suggest that the author really has a 'plan' going forward, nor share much about their actual state of completion.

Concerns:

It's not very 'adult'. It's definitely not explicit, more titilating -- you get the flirting and a little foreplay, but the actual sexy-time encounters are totally left to the reader's imagination. This is fine (assuming that the reader has an imagination), the story is fun and not everything needs to be nasty. But if the author made the nudes optional, this could even be a decent "family" VN.

It's not very interactive. There are occasional opportunities for the player to influence the narrative flavor, but nothing that actually changes the outcome of the story afaik. There are "free-roam" sections, but those are actually the weaker parts bc they are a little confusing and you can't do much other than train your stats (which have no benefit currently) and incrementally engage in scripted events that are handled similarly to the on-rails main story.

It's not very visual (yet?) There are a few environment shots, a few nicely rendered characters, but I would expect the author to lean more into the ai cg stuff. In particular, I'm curious how consistent they can keep their character models, but we don't get any insight into that other than a handful of clothed/nude portraits. (Also the font is too small -- the writing is great, put it front and center! I shouldn't have to squint!)

Overall, this is a very promising proof-of-concept. There is a fair amount of well-crafted story here already, certainly enough to give you a taste of the world, and I enjoyed spending time there with the MC and his colleagues and wards. I was more than a little disappointed when I reached the end of the preview.
  2. 4.00 star(s)

docclox

This is rather fun!

It's good pretty girls, an interesting story and rarest of all, good writing!

This is a mix of free roam and VN. I tend not to get on with VN formats. I'm used to reading books and something about getting two or three sentences at a time brings out the impatient in me.

But, as I say, I've enjoyed the writing in this one. The MC can be a bit cocky without being a total dick; The action scenes are well described, I'd even go as far as exciting, and the I find myself wanting to know the girls better, even being curious about the world.

The free roam side itself is fairly limited. All I've seen so far is a choice of six romms to spend some time in that may yield some info or get to know a girl better. It's not Masters of Raana, but then it shouldn't trigger anyone's sandbox allergies either. Me, I like sandboxes if they're done well, and the simplciity of the format didn't bother me at all, so I guess that's a win too.

On the down side, the major criticism is this needs some mucky pictures. In the earliest free roam part there's a game called Pittance which I don't entirely understand yet, but the first round involved the young lady getting naked. Now you have a full body picture of her - you'd think we'd see some boobies at that point!

But no! Instead all the sexytimes I've encountered so far has been text only. Which is frustrating when the girls are so nice.

Apart from that (fairly minior) grumble, this looks like being one of the good ones. One to watch, certainly.