Daz Iray emissive surface bug?

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Can anyone explain the cause of this?
issue.jpg

When viewed from some other angles, the light is rendered correctly.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Can anyone explain the cause of this?
This is just a guess, but do you have the headlamp turned on on the camera? It looks like there's a light source being reflected directly back into the camera off the shiny surface.

By default (unless you turn it off), when you create a new scene with Daz Studio, it attaches a light source (called the headlamp) to the camera, pointing in the same direction as the camera.
screenshot.png
If set to "Auto", the headlamp shines if there are no spotlights in the scene, and turns off if there area. Try finding this and setting it to "Off."

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
This is just a guess, but do you have the headlamp turned on on the camera? It looks like there's a light source being reflected directly back into the camera off the shiny surface.

By default (unless you turn it off), when you create a new scene with Daz Studio, it attaches a light source (called the headlamp) to the camera, pointing in the same direction as the camera.
View attachment 389969
If set to "Auto", the headlamp shines if there are no spotlights in the scene, and turns off if there area. Try finding this and setting it to "Off."
It is not headlamp issue. Headlamp is off. And the same problem persists even if I turn off visibility of everything except this light. I suspect it has something to do with the poorly designed shape of the object
EDIT:
I've already figured it out. This is related to the refraction index. If the refraction index of the glass cover is close to 1, the problem does not occur. The problem is probably caused by a combination of shape and refraction index.

Last edited:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I've already figured it out. This is related to the refraction index. If the refraction index of the glass cover is close to 1, the problem does not occur. The problem is probably caused by a combination of shape and refraction index.
Ah, interesting. Just curious - what value(s) were you using when the problem occurred, and what is the structure of the object?

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Ah, interesting. Just curious - what value(s) were you using when the problem occurred, and what is the structure of the object?
Well, default values from the product. It is the light from:

https://f95zone.to/threads/the-washroom.9741/

It consists of a frame, emitter and glass cover. I feel like there are some irregularities in shape

The default value of refraction index of the glass cover was 1.55.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Ah - OK. Now that I know what it is, I see what it is. LOL

I thought it was something chrome-like that you were looking at, and that the light was external light being reflected. That was why I thought "headlamp."

I'm betting what happened is that, with that IoR and viewed from that angle, the left part of the fixture is past the "critical angle" for the glass material, and the light's being trapped inside. Could be a fault in how the cover glass is designed. Or could be an issue with Daz's IoR calculations - hard to tell.

I'm wondering if the PA inadvertently modeled the glass as "thick" (meaning Daz thinks it's a huge hunk of glass with the light embedded inside) as opposed to being "thin-walled," which is probably closer to reality.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Ah - OK. Now that I know what it is, I see what it is. LOL

I thought it was something chrome-like that you were looking at, and that the light was external light being reflected. That was why I thought "headlamp."

I'm betting what happened is that, with that IoR and viewed from that angle, the left part of the fixture is past the "critical angle" for the glass material, and the light's being trapped inside. Could be a fault in how the cover glass is designed. Or could be an issue with Daz's IoR calculations - hard to tell.

I'm wondering if the PA inadvertently modeled the glass as "thick" (meaning Daz thinks it's a huge hunk of glass with the light embedded inside) as opposed to being "thin-walled," which is probably closer to reality.
I played a bit with refraction and it looks better. It's not perfect but good enough not to be too distracting, especially when the image shows a naked girl, that will certainly attract more attention, and the light is in the corner. :)

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
It's not perfect but good enough not to be too distracting, especially when the image shows a naked girl, that will certainly attract more attention
Too true. :D Players are probably not going to be scrutinizing the light fixture...