Daz Iray Shader sss issue (gray areas)

ABaaaadIdea

Aug 7, 2018
Hi all,

I'm trying to finish iray SSS shaders but am getting this weird gray-ing around certain areas (eyes, genital hair, and even the intersection of the arms; left-hand model). Any idea how to fix this?
Note: the original texture does not have this shading)

Thanks in Ellie Teen 12.png advance!!

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
This is usually an issue I see with EEVEE shader engine in Blender.
The grey or blue looking areas happens when it is not able to SSS in that area. Such as where the arms intersect, rather than the light going in the mesh and scattering, it goes into the mesh of one character, and not able to scatter into the other character. The same thing with transparent things. If they are not fully transparent, common with daz textures or eevee settings (hashed I usually find to be the best setting for opacity). This can often happen when the mesh connects with something that does not have SSS as well. IE, in blender the character is broken down into multiple zones, with unique materials for their unique UV maps, ie the arms are separate from the torso. If you add SSS to the torso, there will be blue rings where the arms connect because the arms don't have SSS yet, so they don't scatter the light into the the torso, leaving an area without SSS which looks grey or blue.

hair, eyebrows, lashes, pubes, and eyes tend to be problematic points. I mostly use blender not daz, so I don't know how to fix the issue. In blender I would just add a SSS shader to each item, using it to replace the diffuse material, but still keeping transparency.

Reactions: ABaaaadIdea