Is a G-Tablet really that important for Blender?

TommyEsclow

Aug 18, 2017
I do work with Blender a lot the past months specifically for char creation from scratch and I am using a G-Tab but just in SAI to create mesh textures. However, I've heard from a friend who is compared to me actually a professional in that area, that using a G-Tablet is apparently the most efficient way for creating characters. He never used Blender but he's working with Maya and Cinema4d. So I just wanted to get a second opinion from guys who have experiences, I'd appreciate it. I have tried my G-Tablet with Blender but It's just not my thing honestly... I'm still more comfortable with my mouse and keyboard. It just feels kinda weird using my pen.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I have tried:
mouse and keyboard
tablet (no screen)
tablet (with 4K sceen)
remote desktop (using my iPad)
and done this with a variety of other programs.

There are a few pros and cons.
When I hear efficient and tablet, this is what I think said person means. if you can draw on your screen like paper, the feeling of efficiency comes from how you can directly control (sculpt) the character. That is fine and dandy, but not everyone's cup of tea. In fact there are a few issues if you only use the tablet.

so here are two things to consider: interactions, and actions.
An interaction would be like sculpting or texture painting, where you are just clicking and brushing along, were it is not a science.
An action would be like clicking a button or hotkey commands.

In terms of interactions, tablets are pretty good (but not perfect), they allow you to have direct influence over your work. But it is not for everyone and it has some issues. I myself am more of a mouse user, and I know (heard) of some artist who have amazing skills using a mouse. It is all a matter of control, if you have a small tablet, you have to focus on wrist-based actions, which only really allow for short controlled lines, not long lines. If you have a large tablet, like a sheet of paper size, you can use your shoulder muscles to have large smooth strokes. Using a mouse, however, you can have multiple sensitivity settings (I really recommend a high dpi gaming mouse, gaming mice such as those by Razor allow for on the fly dpi adjustment) so you can adapt the sensitivity if you want to. Mostly moving between shoulder action, wrist action, or finger-based control of the mouse and thus control over the work. two issues with tablets are their scene and their texture. The screen has to be high enough resolution that it is like drawing, you don't want to be looking at pixels. I also find that tablets get to warm for me, even with something on my wrist to protect it. another issue with screens is the distance between the surface and the screen. there is a small amount of glass between the pen and the screen. so it can really mess you up because it seems like your pen is always floating so it is hard to have good control. I find the iPad is the only device that truly solves this issue, not sure about the second generation iPad though. lastly is the texture. I like the texture of paper and pencil, it allows me to have good control. tablets with screens are often too smooth for me. I have heard of people finding good screen protectors that provide the texture they need but I avoid them because they further lift the pen away from the screen.

Now about actions. I would say, if there are buttons, the tablets win. if you can directly press the button, it is often quicker to do that than to move a mouse. hence more efficient. I game a lot so I actually have better mouse control than pen control so I am ok with the mouse but definitely can be strenuous.

However, if hotkeys are involved (blender is hotkey heavy) keyboard wins, hotkeys are much faster than anything, that is why some higher level programs (such as how blender was originally made by artists for a studio) focus on hotkeys. hotkeys are the most efficient.

Now you could get away with say, a tablet and a keyboard and try to get the best of both worlds. One issue I have is trying to understand the shape of a model, hard to do on a 2D screen, I really want to get the looking glass holographic display, but until then I have to simply move around my scene a lot. In order to move around however, you either have to click an icon on the tablet, or use a hotkey (mouse or keyboard) to navigate the world, if you need to move around a lot the tablet is not so good because of all the great motions you got to make and it will tire your shoulder out, but a mouse could tire your wrist out.

either is good and it just depends on what you want to get good with. I prefer keyboard and mouse mostly because I invest in better ergonomic stuff, which is not something you can do with a tablet, so I minimize working fatigue.

hope some of that gives you something to think about.

TommyEsclow

Aug 18, 2017
@Saki_Sliz

Thanks a bunch for your very detailed input!. That really helped me clearing out my thoughts about this matter. I do also agree with you regarding tablet "without screen" at least, since I never used or tried anything other than that. I'm using a Razor mouse and I'm also basically doing the same stuff you've mentioned above, since It's very convenient to adjust the sensitivity whenever you want to smooth your meshes point by point.

TommyEsclow

Aug 18, 2017
I've watched a similar video and It's amazing but I personally couldn't handle it. Maybe I just lack the talent for this kind of stuff. At least I'm comfortable with my KB+Mouse for now. The only "real" issue I have is with particles currently since It's sometimes a pain in the butt to adjust and place it the way you want with the mouse. Not sure if a tablet would help regarding that, though.

hseigin

The Indomitable
Game Developer
May 18, 2019
As someone who spent thousands of hours on blender, here is the simplified version of my workflow for character creation:

- Box Modeling the general shape (mouse,;tablets are useless in this phase)
- Subdivide the mesh, then sculpt the finer details (can be done with mouse, but it isn't very efficient and doesn't look natural; go with tablets)
- Retopo (mouse ofc)

If you aren't going for extremely detailed assets (to the point which DAZ assets would look like pixel art when compared to your models), you'll do great with mouse.

You can easily create something superior to DAZ3D models with mouse only. Sculpting would be pain in the ass; so try to achieve as much as highly detailed mesh via box modeling technique and try to keep sculpting minimal.

TommyEsclow

Aug 18, 2017
You can easily create something superior to DAZ3D models with mouse only. Sculpting would be pain in the ass; so try to achieve as much as highly detailed mesh via box modeling technique and try to keep sculpting minimal.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. And as for your other points, I do absolutely agree with that. That was the exact same issue with the particles I had... the mouse is not efficient enough to for detailed work which really sucks sometimes. I was even going to purchase another mouse just for that, if I find one of course.

TommyEsclow

Aug 18, 2017
What do you think about a 3D Mouse?. I was kinda always interested in those, especially for blender and similar software.

Like this one as instance:

hseigin

The Indomitable
Game Developer
May 18, 2019
What do you think about a 3D Mouse?. I was kinda always interested in those, especially for blender and similar software.

Like this one as instance:
I never used one of those, but I am very happy with my Logitech g700s (i actively use 7 out of 9 macro keys for my most used functions in blender).

That mouse seems very expensive, I'd save that money for Zbrush. (Zbrush uses 2.5D technology which allows it to handle a lot more polygons during sculpting than blender on the same hardware, and has a superior brush library). Zbrush + Substance + Blender + Krita is a neat combination.

TommyEsclow

Aug 18, 2017
I never used one of those, but I am very happy with my Logitech g700s (i actively use 7 out of 9 macro keys for my most used functions in blender).

That mouse seems very expensive, I'd save that money for Zbrush. (Zbrush uses 2.5D technology which allows it to handle a lot more polygons during sculpting than blender on the same hardware, and has a superior brush library). Zbrush + Substance + Blender + Krita is a neat combination.
I'll look into that mouse, thanks. And I heard a lot of good things about Zbrush but never used it before. However, I do have already a full subscription for AutoCAD well, mainly due my job. It costs for commercial independent use over 2k € per month but of course, I don't have to pay it by myself. However, I only can have 1 subscription which will be payed by taxes (free). I don't want to be rude by all means but, I'd probably just use a cracked version of Zbrush especially since it's just a hobby.

But to be honest, the main reason why I haven't even tried Zbrush yet was because I kinda hate jumping from one software to another. I have to learn everything again... The UI, Tools and then search for better rendering engines etc. It was always a pain in the butt for me. I guess I'm just using excuses for being lazy :p

hseigin

The Indomitable
Game Developer
May 18, 2019
I'll look into that mouse, thanks. And I heard a lot of good things about Zbrush but never used it before. However, I do have already a full subscription for AutoCAD well, mainly due my job. It costs for commercial independent use over 2k € per month but of course, I don't have to pay it by myself. However, I only can have 1 subscription which will be payed by taxes (free). I don't want to be rude by all means but, I'd probably just use a cracked version of Zbrush especially since it's just a hobby.

But to be honest, the main reason why I haven't even tried Zbrush yet was because I kinda hate jumping from one software to another. I have to learn everything again... The UI, Tools and then search for better rendering engines etc. It was always a pain in the butt for me. I guess I'm just using excuses for being lazy :p
Perfectly understandable, been there done that:D

You are good to go, mouse setup is good to go, only nuisiance would be something like this:
Sculpting(mouse):
- Let's say you are sculpting wrinkles on your character's face.
- You have to press F and drag your mouse to adjust brush size, also increase/decrease pressure size to achieve realistic looking wrinkles and you have to repeat it like 100-200 times:D

Tablet:
- An average pen has like 8000 pressure levels, so harder/softer you press with the pen deeper/shallow/bigger/smaller brush you will have. Pretty neat and it makes entire process like %50 faster. Also drawing lines is more natural and easier with a pen.

Other than 2D, Painting and Sculpting, mouse is superior to pen in 3D.

Edit: WTF G700s is 250 USD on amazon, it is 80 USD here in Turkey. Any decent gaming mouse will do the job; precision and comfort are the primary choices, also it would be great if they have some easily accessible macro keys.

G700s is quite heavy; I use it without battery to reduce overall weight.

Last edited: