Is an Oracle account really necessary to make a mobile version?

Nothing Clever

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
So, I had a request to make a mobile version of my game. Cool, I thought, even though I don't have an Android and have never played the mobile version of a game, but hey that shouldn't be too hard. Only, I guess to add the software to make that happen, you need to download it off of the Oracle website? Idk, I feel like I blinked and missed something. Is an Oracle account actually necessary?

May 14, 2020
I personally haven't converted (or whatever it is that needs to be done) a game to Android but I have programmed some apps. What are you trying to download?

Nothing Clever

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Well, I was using the base Ren'py launcher to try and make the Android download, but I didn't have the Java 8 Development Kit. So I clicked on a few things and it took me to Oracle. Tbh, I had no idea Java was an Oracle product, but I digress.

May 14, 2020
Well, I was using the base Ren'py launcher to try and make the Android download, but I didn't have the Java 8 Development Kit. So I clicked on a few things and it took me to Oracle. Tbh, I had no idea Java was an Oracle product, but I digress.

I can download everything from that page directly, could you share a screenshot either here or via direct message? I'll have a quick bite to eat now back in 30 or so.

Nothing Clever

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
So, that's just the renpy 'error' if you will, and then that link takes me here.

So, do I really need an Oracle account? Also, frankly, I just have no idea what to download lol.

May 14, 2020
So, that's just the renpy 'error' if you will, and then that link takes me here.

So, do I really need an Oracle account? Also, frankly, I just have no idea what to download lol.
I meant a screenshot of the part of the website where you need an account :)
I'd say based on the message download the Java 8 JDK:
jdk8.PNG

As an example I took a 64 bit windows download because that is the most common.

It seems those indeed do require you to login which is new to me, you might be able to get the download somewhere else or you can make a throwaway account using a temporary mail service (google temp mail).

Reactions: anne O'nymous