Daz Is Daz the best option for a beginner?

KingCocoa

Jul 23, 2017
Hi guys. I’m creating a game and want to evaluate my options for models and enviornments. I have next to no knowledge on this and don’t have the means to hire someone to do it.

Is Daz beginner friendly? And if not, what would you recommend? My project will require NSFW situations.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
There is some other options like honey select that are probably easier and friendlier on an old computer. It depends on the style and look you want. Check what was used for some games you like the art of.

That said, I wouldn't exactly call Daz beginner friendly. It'll take some time to get going with it. But there's a lot of tutorials to read/watch and a lot of people on here for example who can answer questions.

If you look at https://f95zone.to/threads/city-of-broken-dreamers-v1-14-0-ch-14-phillygames.25739/ and think yea that looks nice I'll get Daz and do some of that stuff, you're looking at months or years of practice even if you have talent.

Reactions: KingCocoa

LjQujd

Jul 18, 2020
For a total beginner who isn't looking for top quality visuals and scenes, you should perhaps consider using games with sex mods that come with the models, props and environments. These are Sims, Skyrim, Honey Select, Koikatsu.

Unlike those, DAZ is a an actual 3D software where you have lot more options and things you can create. There's a learning curve to it, though it will depend on what quality you want to produce. Low quality can be done if you just focus on posing characters without animations and also not making the scenes in DAZ but instead downloading stock images as backgrounds. This is probably the simplest way for beginners with DAZ, but at this level it would be better to go with the games + sex mods route imo.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I found DAZ not that easy, nor userfriendly. It took me a year or longer to make some appealing renders. My first ones were actual trash.
Sure, loading a figure is easy but it takes really time to setup a scene that looks actually real.
HS2 is easier but also not easy.
I seen some assets where the dev really setup the lights in different ways. Models are probably easy. Some adjustments and put put on some clothing. Done.
Sex Parts are somewhat easy. Though there goes a little more in it as well. There are good guides on this site.

Overall, no matter the software, it will eat up you life. So prepared.
What makes HS2 nice is also the fact that it comes with tons of environments. So you don't need to download anything. I actually liked that fact.

Thats all i know and it isn't much. Anyway, good luck

Reactions: KingCocoa

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
There is some other options like honey select that are probably easier and friendlier on an old computer.
Which comes with the trade-off of 'low quality' graphics (to some) and not being able to sell on Steam later on. Don't know if that's the plan for OP, but something that should be considered before choosing a software, nonetheless.

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
Daz is beginner friendly, yes, but it will still require many many hours of study and hard work. Start with YouTube tutorials on basics like lighting and posing and fill in the knowledge gaps as you come to them.

Deleted member 2282952

Developing I SCREAM
Game Developer
May 1, 2020
Is daz the best option for the beginner … with money? If you have enough for a good pc and assets, then go for Daz. Some upfront investment is required to make commercial games. An additional barrier of entry, but you can always acquire skill, while saving on the system that matches your skill.

Forgotten_Lectures

Jul 3, 2023
I started with DAZ and I'm quite happy with it
You can get half decent results quite easily and there are many tutorials out there
BUT
if you want really good results you will have to spend a lot of time and money
time to figure out all the details and possibilities... even after about 1 year I haven't seen half of it :)
and money for a high power pc and assets and more assets and better assets and even more assets

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I started with DAZ and I'm quite happy with it
You can get half decent results quite easily and there are many tutorials out there
BUT
if you want really good results you will have to spend a lot of time and money
time to figure out all the details and possibilities... even after about 1 year I haven't seen half of it :)
and money for a high power pc and assets and more assets and better assets and even more assets
Aside from the cops of a PC/assets (which you'll need for basically most 3D software, sans maybe UE) if you want good performance, you don't need a ton of money. There's a lot of freebies out there and semi-easy ways to build your own environments (e.g. pCon Planner, etc.), along with a bunch of PBR websites for material shaders.

The only thing you really need is time, and if you optimize your renders, you don't need anything super high-end. But even then, you could get a used 3060 for like a $150 right now. Which is all you really need (12GB of VRAM will take you a long way with Daz/Iray), especially at the beginning, for Daz.

Forgotten_Lectures

Jul 3, 2023
The only thing you really need is time, and if you optimize your renders, you don't need anything super high-end. But even then, you could get a used 3060 for like a $150 right now. Which is all you really need (12GB of VRAM will take you a long way with Daz/Iray), especially at the beginning, for Daz.
Well it depends what you are planing to do...
Just backgrounds or simple 1,2,3 character renders are fine

but if you go high res and have tons of characters or effects... you either have a lot of time or power
not even starting on animation stuff... (ok DAZ is anyway not the best place for doing that stuff)