Is having a Patreon for a 0.1 version of a very first game is inapropriate ?

Txxus

Game Developer
Dec 6, 2017
I did it and I'm doing fairly good atm. Then again, I worked for about 7 months on 0.1

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
It depends. Are you doing a 0.1 as fast as possible because you want to rake in the patreon cash? How much content does your 0.1 game has? Are you worried about telling a compelling story, making a fun game first or are you worried more about how much money can you get from people?

Some devs seems to think of h-games as a popularity thing, especially western ones. They try to test the waters with whatever is more popular and then as soon as their game has gotten a little bit of attention they start to stall the development, getting as much money as possible before finishing. People here are starting to get a little more aware and generally, posting a 0.1 with no content gives off the vibe that you just want some money as soon as possible. It's not wrong to post a 0.1 but ask yourself if you really want to make a game and get money for it or if you just want money with "I'm making a game!" being just a front.

Torontota

Mar 2, 2018
It depends. Are you doing a 0.1 as fast as possible because you want to rake in the patreon cash? How much content does your 0.1 game has? Are you worried about telling a compelling story, making a fun game first or are you worried more about how much money can you get from people?

Some devs seems to think of h-games as a popularity thing, especially western ones. They try to test the waters with whatever is more popular and then as soon as their game has gotten a little bit of attention they start to stall the development, getting as much money as possible before finishing. People here are starting to get a little more aware and generally, posting a 0.1 with no content gives off the vibe that you just want some money as soon as possible. It's not wrong to post a 0.1 but ask yourself if you really want to make a game and get money for it or if you just want money with "I'm making a game!" being just a front.
I'll like to release a 0.1 with at least 1 hour of playability
Im just concern about the fact than i could not consider myself legitimate enough to have a patreon with just one 0.1 version

Reactions: hakarlman

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
I'll like to release a 0.1 with at least 1 hour of playability
Im just concern about the fact than i could not consider myself legitimate enough to have a patreon with just one 0.1 version
Then put your game up anyway and do at least some updates before officially opening a patreon. This will be good for you since you will be able to see if you're able to actually push out new releases in a somewhat consistent basis. A lot of people venture into gamedev but after seeing the hardships of having to work on your game often and not just when they "feel like doing it" quit.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Having patreon attached is certainly off putting since it means the game will have no value.

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
There is no definitive answer for this one. Personally, if there is quality content for the game than why not? There is no harm in it.

Secondly, the most amount of traffic a game will get is a couple of days after the initial release, the longer in between updates the less attention the game will receive. As a result, it is the economical choice to create your Patreon asap.

However, if your advertising your game and trying to get money before .01 is even available, fuck off man.

SanEro_III

May 10, 2018
"0.1 Version" doesn't really mean anything to be honest here as it could mean anything.

If I were wanting to get funding for a project through patreon as a means of just casually funding development of some game I might be working on in my spare time, ideally I'd wanna have proof of a game I'm working on first that people can play with and the like.

You could just have a patreon out the gate for yourself and your game though, no one is stopping you really. If it's an individual project, people really are funding you in hopes you work more on whatever it is you're working on. So you totally could just say "I have an idea for a game, here's my patreon if you wanna fund me" and then let time tell if people are throwing money at nothing.

But it'd just all around be more sound to at least have something to show, even assuming in all cases putting money to a patreon funds an actual project or not. It just looks better.

Jan 9, 2021
Ultimately it depends on the game; if it's well developed despite its initial phase then I have no issues with them linking their Patreon, however, if there's nary an ounce of effort put into it, or if it looks/feels like a rush job just to get a quick buck, then adding the link just makes me think they really couldn't care less about quality. Those people can fuck off.

Reactions: Rafster

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
From what I've seen, the more content and quality in your 0.1, the better the people will respond to it, even with a patreon link right off the gate. If you have a 5 minute demo that crashes with only looking at it, your patreon is doomed from the start. People is not dumb.

That's the strategy I'm following, I'm trying to get my game with some content before even launching it here. I'll have my patreon link ready...but I'm only releasing here when I feel I have enough world content AND the first storyline complete (the feedback thread I have on the programming, dev & art section did wonders on this aspect. I got tons of feedback there). Users must feel they are playing something, not a glorified 10 minute demo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whale_Shark

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
If you are already planning on opening a Patreon page, it really doesn't matter if you are in this just hoping for some easy money or because you are really serious about developing a game. What matters is that you hope to get some cash with it. So the answer should be obvious: create that page from the very first moment. Always give players the option to throw you some bucks right after playing your 0.1 if they think you deserve that money. Why wouldn't you? Waiting for 0.2 or whatever will only hurt you in that sense. Then if you want that money stream to keep flowing of course you'll need to prove you are actually worth of a bigger, long term support, but I can't really see a good reason to not start getting a few bucks since day one. Don't impose a salary cap on yourself, let the market judge what your actual and potential value is. You might be surprised how highly others can think of you