Is it against the "rules" to pirate assets and make money off it?

Oct 8, 2020
If I went to assets released section, downloaded some characters, use them in my game, and released it for free, I'm sure that is allowed right? But what if I created a patreon page and made money out of it? Is a patreon considered commercial use? Or is it just like a "charity" thing. Basically I wanna know what is and what's not socially acceptable in this community.

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
The first isn't legal and can get you in as much trouble as the second. If you care to avoid trouble, don't use unlicensed assets.

This community doesn't care one way or another.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
if you have download the assets from here and like them and are planning to create patreon page and make money off of it then buy the assets

but you should read your copyright laws in your country

Oct 8, 2020
if you have download the assets from here and like them and are planning to create patreon page and make money off of it then buy the assets

but you should read your copyright laws in your country
The first isn't legal and can get you in as much trouble as the second. If you care to avoid trouble, don't use unlicensed assets.

This community doesn't care one way or another.

So does every game uploaded here in f95 use licensed assets? I mean what happens if you pirate? Does your game get taken down from here? Does patreon delete your page?

• Haha
Reactions: Thermophob

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
the thing is...

it will hard to find out if you are using pirate assets

there is nothing wrong trying them out first then buying them

if f95zone/patreon gets a take down order they properly will remove

on f95zone use licensed assets it's 50/50 (guessing only)

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
So does every game uploaded here in f95 use licensed assets? I mean what happens if you pirate? Does your game get taken down from here? Does patreon delete your page?
This community doesn't care. It is a pirate site.

If the owner of the work discovers you, different things may happen. You might get a cease and desist letter. You might receive a DMCA notice and lose your Patreon account. You might get sued. Depends on the resources, attitude, and attention of the owner.

Reactions: Thermophob

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
Is it legal? No.
Will anyone find out? Probably not, but if they do, then you could find yourself in a legal suit.

Thing is, it is incredibly hard to tell if a picture was rendered with legal or stolen assets, cause they look exactly the same. In the end, whether you want to take that risk is on you. I buy all my assets legally, but this a pirate site, so most ppl here would likely not give shit if you pirate your assets.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
But what if I created a patreon page and made money out of it?
Then you have no excuse to not buy the assets you use. At least one by one, each time you've earned enough for that. Most of the guys beyond those assets are no different from you, they are trying to earn money by doing something they like.

After you do what you want, no one will ever know, and we are in a pirate site, so we aren't in place to judge your piracy. Yet, what I said above is the moral thing to do.

Oct 8, 2020
Then you have no excuse to not buy the assets you use. At least one by one, each time you've earned enough for that. Most of the guys beyond those assets are no different from you, they are trying to earn money by doing something they like.

After you do what you want, no one will ever know, and we are in a pirate site, so we aren't in place to judge your piracy. Yet, what I said above is the moral thing to do.
You're right sir, that's what I was planning to do. although if I have to be honest I really don't have the money for now, let alone living in an asian country. We make 8$ a day in our country so hopefully you guys understand how big 10-20$ is for us. But if ever I made even a little, it'll go towards buying assets. Thanks everyone for the replies, appreciate it.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
although if I have to be honest I really don't have the money for now, [...]
What I understand.
From my point of view the important is the intent ; do as you can, effectively buying the assets when you earn enough to do it if really you can't afford to do otherwise. A question of respect for the hard works of those who made the assets, in the same way that you expect people will respect the hard works you'll put in your game.

Reactions: Cokane0