Daz Is it better to have dforce clothes and hair?

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
Newbie to daz here and I heard how dforce is good to modify how stuff looks and adjust them to our liking. So should I get all my clothes and hairs with dforce compatability?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
better... yes
necessary... no

Only you can decide if you have the skill to use it effectively or are willing to put the effort into learning it.
If you can use it... great. If you can't... nobody will miss it.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
better... yes
necessary... no

Only you can decide if you have the skill to use it effectively or are willing to put the effort into learning it.
If you can use it... great. If you can't... nobody will miss it.
so its not as simple to use as ordinary clothes?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
so its not as simple to use as ordinary clothes?
Sort of.

The general technique (as I understand it) is to pull the clothing away from the body as it's starting position - then run the dForce physics simulation to morph the clothing according to gravity and/or wind or however you are expecting the clothing to settle over time.

As with any creative project... getting it to work is reasonably easy. Getting it to work well is where the author's skill becomes evident.

Perhaps see:

... as just one example video among, .

As I said previously though, it's very much about you rather than the audience. dForce is like animations... if you don't include any (in a good game), hardly anyone will notice - but if you include it badly, people WILL notice. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you to try.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
what are the features you lose when using ordinary clothes or hair?
The problem with non-conforming hair/clothes, is that for each new pose, you're going to have to resimulate them. If you have multiples, likely one by one. Whereas with standard clothes and hair, you can just pose, adjust the hair as needed, and move on to whatever else is next.

In that sense, there's more inherent benefits to using non-dforce assets. But you lose the dynamics of dforce. Draping/hanging, etc. If you have the time and patience, it might be worth it. If not, just stick with non-dforce/conforming assets.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
In that sense, there's more inherent benefits to using non-dforce assets. But you lose the dynamics of dforce. Draping/hanging, etc.
Not just this since you can use magnets/handles to force the simulation in a way or another. Therefore you can basically pose the clothes/hairs the way you want. This while with conforming clothes you are limited to the available morphs, and the ones you achieved to imports for this particular asset.

Obviously, it imply more works, both to place the magnets/handles and to proceed the simulation. And, of course, I guess (haven't gone this far yet by lack of time) that at first you'll loose a lot of time because the said magnets/handles aren't placed correctly. What you'll probably only discover once the simulation is finished.
But, as I said, I haven't had the time to really play with DForce yet, so perhaps that there's some kind of preview that can help you. But I doubt.

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
Not just this since you can use magnets/handles to force the simulation in a way or another. Therefore you can basically pose the clothes/hairs the way you want. This while with conforming clothes you are limited to the available morphs, and the ones you achieved to imports for this particular asset.

Obviously, it imply more works, both to place the magnets/handles and to proceed the simulation. And, of course, I guess (haven't gone this far yet by lack of time) that at first you'll loose a lot of time because the said magnets/handles aren't placed correctly. What you'll probably only discover once the simulation is finished.
But, as I said, I haven't had the time to really play with DForce yet, so perhaps that there's some kind of preview that can help you. But I doubt.
So it seems like the majority of VN devs dont use dforce?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
So it seems like the majority of VN devs dont use dforce?
Some use it punctually, but yes, globally they don't.
It's already difficult enough, and potentially time consuming, to build a scene correctly without DForce. And obviously since half the creator don't even go this far, it's not tomorrow that they'll use DForce.

But I guess that games that will be started next year will start to include more DForce. At least for the creators who can invest in a modern computer. Between the time gained during the rendering, thanks to the GeForce 4000 series, and the one gained during the simulation, thanks to the last CPU generation, it should be possible to take the time to deal with the meticulous posing implied by DForce.
So far, with an average around 5 to 10 minutes to render an average scene with a 3090, you can't afford to redo the same scene until what looks fine in the viewport keep looking good once fully rendered. If the 4090 effectively keep its promise and can make this time reach the 2 minutes or less, it will start to be something possible.

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
Some use it punctually, but yes, globally they don't.
It's already difficult enough, and potentially time consuming, to build a scene correctly without DForce. And obviously since half the creator don't even go this far, it's not tomorrow that they'll use DForce.

But I guess that games that will be started next year will start to include more DForce. At least for the creators who can invest in a modern computer. Between the time gained during the rendering, thanks to the GeForce 4000 series, and the one gained during the simulation, thanks to the last CPU generation, it should be possible to take the time to deal with the meticulous posing implied by DForce.
So far, with an average around 5 to 10 minutes to render an average scene with a 3090, you can't afford to redo the same scene until what looks fine in the viewport keep looking good once fully rendered. If the 4090 effectively keep its promise and can make this time reach the 2 minutes or less, it will start to be something possible.
i have a 4090 and 7950X, so will it be worth trying? I did a test render of a HD 8.1 model in a small dorm room with lights which took me five minutes. Any tips on cutting down rendering time?

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Dforce clothing can be helpful with long flowing dresses in weird poses. For shirts or other relatively tight fitting clothing it usually adds little to nothing.
For hair usually I prefer hair that has posable strands (Linda ponytail where the tail is posable or bronwyn hair are good examples) It generally gets you there 90% of the way. only in some more edge cases there are issues (e.g. a character hanging upside down for instance).
end_Ava-27.png
The biggest use I have found for dforce is making mattresses feel soft. The Duvet is dforce enabled so by sinking the characters a little into the duvet you get the indents you also get in real mattresses. It is not perfect but better than the bricks you usually see.
endavapause-3a.png

Anyway right now it is a hypothetical as dforce has been broken for me for nearly a month now and Daz has not even seen the ticket I made.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Dforce. That's where magic happens.

I love dforce. It makes everything look more realistic.
It took me a long time to understand it and i still a noob.
Some items work better than others and i have a feeling that some creators (assets) are better than others.
Especially anything female is a go for me for dforce.
There is a lot of experimenting that went into my learning experience and i think there is so much more that i don't know.

I recently found a dforce bed where the sheet is such a breeze to use. Though the pillows where molded into the bed frame. I wish they were dforce as well.

Though there are more people qualified to talk about than me, i still prefer dforce. Hair, without it's rather dull. You want it hanging where you head is. Same with cloths.

Males are usually to me rather uninteresting and there i would prefer just to use standard anything. I don't bother.

Again, i am not qualified to make a statement but i would guess that at least some use it in their games.