Daz Is it better to make a lewd scene with pre made animations or making the animations yourself?

Origami Games

Game Developer
May 10, 2023
Regarding animations, is there a place where I can find any good pre-made animations? Also, if you prefer making your own animations, is there any tips you can give? Like how do I make the hip move smoothly? Is there any small details that I need to pay more attention to like hair, etc?

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Most of the pre-made stuff is found on renderotica. But honestly, it's a massive headache to try and do something with it. I've used a couple of premade walk/dance animations with just one character and that can be alright. But if you try it with two characters that interact, touch etc, you'll find that your characters aren't the same size as what the animation was made for, and there will be all kinds of problems.

It will be a ton of fiddling. So will your home made ones. But at least they'll be unique.

As for details to pay attention to - the more the better, but more work too. Time and patience will be what limits you. I'm just assuming Daz btw. At the end of the day, Daz animations always look a bit clunky. Or a lot.

Origami Games

Game Developer
May 10, 2023
Most of the pre-made stuff is found on renderotica. But honestly, it's a massive headache to try and do something with it. I've used a couple of premade walk/dance animations with just one character and that can be alright. But if you try it with two characters that interact, touch etc, you'll find that your characters aren't the same size as what the animation was made for, and there will be all kinds of problems.

It will be a ton of fiddling. So will your home made ones. But at least they'll be unique.

As for details to pay attention to - the more the better, but more work too. Time and patience will be what limits you. I'm just assuming Daz btw. At the end of the day, Daz animations always look a bit clunky. Or a lot.
Thank you! All I know is to move characters hips, is there any other things that I could do to make the scene more...real?

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Thank you! All I know is to move characters hips, is there any other things that I could do to make the scene more...real?
Make sure no part of the characters is entirely static, I guess. I'm no animation expert myself. Just a dabbling amateur :)

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I don't understand daz animation.
I would say animating things yourself is always the best since you can make adjustments, and if you understand what you are doing, then the only limitation is your skill... but it seems daz animation system is the worst. I think you need to use one of its sister programs (hex?) to properly make animations with a proper tool... or to import animations. Daz out of the box (as far as I have experienced) is horrible with trying to import animation. While it supports BVH, BVH is the bare minimum, the worst file format for transferring animation data, short of a hand type excel sheet. I imagine Hex or what ever sister program daz uses is what allows for better animation import. I can't find anything regarding FBX, nor any proper retargeting within Daz. So even if you do your animation work in a 3rd party program like blender... I've never had an animation actually import intact into daz. But mind this, I haven't really looked into this seriously enough other than to test if it was 'convenient' and simple. I'm pretty sure animation assets are made nice by use of some daz sister program (hex?) but I haven't actually looked too deeply cuz other priorities.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
it's a massive headache to try and do something with it.
This pretty much sums up Daz animations in a nutshell... :ROFLMAO:

Now I've given up on animations in Daz. The amount of work for mediocre results just isn't worth it to me. It always feels clunky and slow. But I did find a few things that will help:
- If you wish to loop the animation start with making keyframes of the characters at the end of the animation. (so the first and last frame are locked and the same.) this will save you a lot of headaches.
- If you have a sex act that takes 1 second (e.g. cock enters pussy and pulls out again). You should make the animation loop 3 seconds. This will allow you to make subtle variations so it looks less robotic.
unintended-15.gif
- since you can't lock characters to the ground/a bed/a couch or wherever they have sex there is a high chance you'll end up with floating characters that look wrong. To combat this pose your characters in the first pose (e.g. doggystyle dick fully inserted) copy the characters so you can reference where their hands/feet are. (just make sure that you disable the option to select the duplicates by clicking on them in the scene)
1696039205961.png
(camera 6 cannot be selected camera 7 can)
- don't forget about other objects/hair that might be affected when the the characters are having sex.
pizza-31.gif

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Something I forgot: rendering a lot of frames takes a while. Render at night but even then you don't want a render taking more then 10 minutes max (30 frames would take 6 hours to render). If your graphics card can't handle it render the animation (with an HDRI) and the background separately. It will look a little off but you can't wait one hour per frame to render animations.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Something I forgot: rendering a lot of frames takes a while. Render at night but even then you don't want a render taking more then 10 minutes max (30 frames would take 6 hours to render). If your graphics card can't handle it render the animation (with an HDRI) and the background separately. It will look a little off but you can't wait one hour per frame to render animations.
I render animations with 800 iterations per frame (typically 5000 iterations for regular renders).

Reactions: GNVE

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
While it supports BVH, BVH is the bare minimum, the worst file format for transferring animation data
There's plugin/addon for Daz that'll accept OBJ sequences, but I'm drawing a blank on the name. That said, I'm still trying to out how to move the figures around after converting to Rigify without having the gens stay in place, so I couldn't say how well that works either.

As for OP:
First and foremost, you'll want to grab Limbstick and eR Breast Animator just to make your life a bit easier.

This will tend to fix a lot of the issues that GNVE was referring to with floating characters as you can plant your character's feet on to a plane and have them stick to it. It basically becomes psuedo IK. This allows you to basically forget about moving characters as you can basically plant their hands to a table, or the male figure's hands to the female character's legs, or something of the sort. Like so (here's a since F95 refuses to add a media insert for any decent gif websites):

View attachment ezgif.com-video-to-mp4.mp4

examp.gif

In the second gif/image, her hands are Limbstick'd to a plane beneath her hands, which then allow the chest/shoulders/arms to bend a bit more naturally than animating them manually. I believe I did the same to her feet just in case.

As you're just starting, it's probably better to just stick with the basic 'golden ratio' for looping animations. Short, quick clips. 2-3 seconds long. The 60-90-120 stretch, specifically. You'll only technically use 60-119, as 60 and 120 are the should be the same image if you're planning to loop correctly.

That being said, rather than drone on step by step, I'll DM you something that should help get you started faster than I can. :)

Reactions: Saint_RNG and GNVE