Is it just me?

KnuckleDragger79

Sep 4, 2020
Is it just me, or is the quality of images and animations in new games getting worse and worse? I see a lot of new V.01 games and the images are grainy and undefined. Some games that have been out for a wile too, are affected. Is this a new trend that I am not aware of or are the game Devs just getting lazier and lazier?

Reactions: Mikedazz1

Buddawg

Aug 12, 2017
A lot of the "new" games are starters in all things programming, rendering, making stories... and probably most of them in it for a quick buck, also why you see a lot of games not really becoming anything.

And its both laziness, but more greed on the part of ppl with not enough knowhow.

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
There's also the whole GPU shortage thing that's going on right now so a lot of people are having to lower their render quality (especially those working in daz) because they don't have a good enough GPU for it.

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
Yup, latest updates tab is a nightmare sometimes and youll occasionally see the odd gem in there but most are car crashes

D

Deleted member 3145675

Hi,
I would go for the: most new Devs trying to create a game don't have a $20k rig answer - do I win something?

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
There's also the whole GPU shortage thing that's going on right now so a lot of people are having to lower their render quality (especially those working in daz) because they don't have a good enough GPU for it.
I suspect this is a big part of it. I'm working on some of my own games, but my video card is a GTX 1050Ti with only 4GB of VRAM. If I set up a typical scene the way I want and try to render it without optimizing, it's common for it to take 12 hours or longer and still not be done rendering (lots of fireflies, etc). If I do optimize it enough to be able to use my GPU instead of my CPU then I have to dramatically scale back the texture quality, delete items, delete light sources, etc until I can get the memory utilization below 4GB. All of those things reduce image quality.

Reactions: KnuckleDragger79

Alboe Interactive

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2020
  1. Daz has terrible default settings for rendering. I managed to render faster with higher quality by changing only a handful of settings.
  2. It seems there is auto detection for hardware but every new Daz install is guaranteed to have CPU selected instead of GPU as the primary rendering device. Oh and the default memory setting is too low. Basically, no automatic adjustments of any kind are made for hardware.
  3. Daz hates dark and shadowy areas, that is where most grain will become very noticeable.
Once I learned about the above, I dropped a remaster for my VN to fix up what I viewed were my weakest renders. I imagine that is where most remasters come from and why so many devs end up doing one.

Last edited:

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
  1. Daz has terrible default settings for rendering. I managed to render faster with higher quality by changing only a handful of settings.
  2. It seems there is auto detection for hardware but every new Daz install is guaranteed to have CPU selected instead of GPU as the primary rendering device. Oh and the default memory setting is too low. Basically, no automatic adjustments of any kind are made for hardware.
  3. Daz hates dark and shadowy areas, that is where most grain will become very noticeable.
Once I learned about the above, I dropped a remaster for my VN to fix up what I viewed were my weakest renders. I imagine that is where most remasters come from and why so many devs end up doing one.
Very good points, I think if I'd known how to do optimizations when I did daz then I wouldn't have been so quick to switch (I probably still would've at some point because it was hard for me to see characters that I actually knew being so far from their original anime version). The one point I'll counter is that the daz hardware detection definitely didn't work for me. The default tried to use iray rendering with my 2GB 940m card which would always start and then quickly fail because it would run out of vram.

Aristro

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2021
Yeah, It is hard to render with low rig in Daz... I only have basic 1050 Ti and If I have more than 2 characters in the scene, render will start to use CPU instead of GPU... I have to do lot of tweaking with Scene optimizer and other render setting shenanigans if I want to properly render a scene... It is a hard-knock life for people with low budget system...

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
A lot of the "new" games are starters in all things programming, rendering, making stories... and probably most of them in it for a quick buck, also why you see a lot of games not really becoming anything.

And its both laziness, but more greed on the part of ppl with not enough knowhow.
I would disagree. I was pleasantly surprised while browsing through the new games pages recently. While it's true that many games aren't exactly up to snuff, more than a few 3D projects showed real quality.

You have to remember that holds true here on F95 as it does in most areas of life, but it's not all doom and gloom like people would have you believe.

Buddawg

Aug 12, 2017
I would disagree. I was pleasantly surprised while browsing through the new games pages recently. While it's true that many games aren't exactly up to snuff, more than a few 3D projects showed real quality.

You have to remember that holds true here on F95 as it does in most areas of life, but it's not all doom and gloom like people would have you believe.
Im not doom and glooming, but I HAVE noticed that when ppl comment like this thats the kind of games they've been browsing. I steer clear pretty fast of those games, or give them appropriate reviews. Just like all the years Ive been here :D Im still here because there are good games, you just need to be selective.

Mar 11, 2018
More on the side of cash grab than hardware limitation (obviously that is recurring issue not just for game devs, but any prosumer in general) or knowledge. Highest reward with the least effort. These devs in particular don't settle down with achievable ambitions, but spoonfeed people the hype from which they profit. It's a rare sight to encounter nowadays where a dev from a previous failed project begin working on their 2nd and somewhat improving from past mistakes. Most that eventually fail from the first attempt quit development entirely or switch to other genres where the market is wider.