is it me or are the star ratings for this site off?

Anthony11553

Feb 9, 2020
1 means terrible 2 means poor 3 means average 4 means good and 5 means great, however most places with star systems that i've seen has 3 stars as being good so it's kinda confusing to me. Also 4 stars isn't actually as good of a score as i would think cause you're just saying it's good. People say that are a lot of reviews with 5 stars, the thing is however there's only good and great, not good , great and amazing.

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
What's the distinction among "good," "great," and "amazing?" Remember that ratings and reviews are meant for the person reading the review, not the reviewer. Does the reader benefit in any way by having more increments of a rating? Will you skip a game because it averages in the "good" instead of "great?"

I think the current ratings are appropriate since 3/5 is the midpoint and thus it makes sense for it to be average. And since there's so many crappy games, i think the 2 levels of below average are also needed.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
People say that are a lot of reviews with 5 stars, the thing is however there's only good and great, not good , great and amazing.
With the time going, you'll do like the others, and learn to discriminate between those who attribute the stars because of the game, and those who think that it's represent how far they nutted.

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
1 means terrible 2 means poor 3 means average 4 means good and 5 means great, however most places with star systems that i've seen has 3 stars as being good so it's kinda confusing to me. Also 4 stars isn't actually as good of a score as i would think cause you're just saying it's good. People say that are a lot of reviews with 5 stars, the thing is however there's only good and great, not good , great and amazing.
Everything above 3.5 stars means that the quality is good enough and if the game is to your tastes it might be 5 stars for you. That's basically the only thing i get from ratings.

Reactions: Sole
Nov 21, 2020
Will you skip a game because it averages in the "good" instead of "great?"
Yes.
Although I don't really associate a number of stars with a term, I'm more than likely to skip any game that has 3 stars average rating as opposed to 4 or 5. Games with 3 stars tend to have that rating because most people agree that the game is mediocre (or, in some cases, the developer has pulled some shady stuff).
Obviously, I'm talking about games with a good number of reviews.

Reactions: Sole

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
Obviously, I'm talking about games with a good number of reviews.
I definitely think that's a factor in the different perspectives on this. Most of the games i'm interested in don't even have 10 total reviews. But i don't really pay attention to the rating anyway. I use the reviews to tell me what the games are about since the threads themselves are often useless.

Reactions: PrinceOfShades

TheCragger

Aug 14, 2021
Certain genre's get lots of votes. Other genres or styles often have a very silent playerbase. Japanese style loli hentai for example gets lots of votes even if the game is garbage.

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
most places i've seen with the 5 stars system, 3 stars is considered good. right in the middle would be a 2.5 for average, which i think is also what other sites use.
2.5 is the middle of 0-5, not 1-5. I don't recall ever seeing a 3/5 on a scale of 1-5 ever be called "good."
Code:
        middle
          |
|---|---|---|---|---|
0   1   2   3   4   5

middle
        |
|---|---|---|---|
1   2   3   4   5

Reactions: Sole and jestertlw

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Stars don't mean shit. Masses are fucking retarded. Almost all games have extremely inflated ratings because of people just slapping on 5* without any rational thought behind it. Then there are the new games with very few reviews that get bombed by some anti-NTR warrior complaining that a girl had sex with some boy 20 years ago. If you base your decision on the stars, you will play a bunch of garbage and pass on some good games. Make your own decisions after reading the overview, tags, and select reviews that actually seem like it's been written by an adult.

Mar 11, 2018
Stars don't mean shit. Masses are fucking retarded. Almost all games have extremely inflated ratings because of people just slapping on 5* without any rational thought behind it. Then there are the new games with very few reviews that get bombed by some anti-NTR warrior complaining that a girl had sex with some boy 20 years ago. If you base your decision on the stars, you will play a bunch of garbage and pass on some good games. Make your own decisions after reading the overview, tags, and select reviews that actually seem like it's been written by an adult.
This. This is the ultimate answer, case closed.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
it's you, AND ratings don't mean shit.

whether you enjoy a game or not is mainly decided by whether it hits your specific kinks or not. if it doesn't, there's no perfect execution that can keep you from yawning. if it does, you'll watch stick figures drawn on a napkin doing it and you'll still want to see it.

edod5

Dec 25, 2016
The star system in general (or at least in its current form) is flawed. Let's say a new game appears, the first version is meh so Mr.Critique says nah it's trash because of this and that so "here is one star and I'm never gonna touch this game again". But then the game's development continues (it even fixes those problems Mr.C mentioned) and the game becomes better and better. But it doesn't matter how good the game becomes and how many 4-5 star reviews will it get because that one-star rating from Mr.C will pull down the overall rating EVEN if the issues he mentioned are not even in the game anymore.

This star system would be much better if it would only show the last couple of ratings or the rating for the last one or two updates.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
This star system would be much better if it would only show the last couple of ratings or the rating for the last one or two updates.
No, it wouldn't. A system like that only works on a platform like Steam where there are millions of users and games constantly get new reviews from people. Even the most popular games on here only get a few hundred reviews over the course of multiple years. The vast majority of games only get a handful of reviews. If only the most recent reviews counted the ratings would just constantly fluctuate depending on the opinion of whoever reviewed the game that day.

Reactions: ARB582 and Sole

edod5

Dec 25, 2016
No, it wouldn't. A system like that only works on a platform like Steam where there are millions of users and games constantly get new reviews from people. Even the most popular games on here only get a few hundred reviews over the course of multiple years. The vast majority of games only get a handful of reviews. If only the most recent reviews counted the ratings would just constantly fluctuate depending on the opinion of whoever reviewed the game that day.
At least it would be Relevant! If the games would be rated by each version then ppl would see how "good" is the actual game. Even in the system today, the reviews depend on the "mental state" of the individual who wrote it, and I haven't seen anyone who would delete their low star review once the game got better.

Having to write new reviews every update versus sticking with a one-star for a lifetime... I don't know mate...

My idea would be even more considerable since as you said "the vast majority of the games only get a handful of reviews" so one bad review has even more weight.