Daz Is it okay to use Daz3d pirated assets to make a game

Beastnation

Sep 2, 2019
Do I have to take any precautions while using daz3d pirated assets to make a game which I'll be selling in future

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I have spent a solid $1,000 in daz assets (mostly models and some clothes) and it is not nearly enough to cover the amount of content I need for a game, I pirate a lot and find what things I would and wouldn't use, so it saves me money that way, but the main point is, it takes a lot to make a game, so unless you got some deep pocket, come crawl into the hole we dug and steal what you need :p
TellMeAboutBane I can't read that without hearing the melody.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I guess if anything: it is ok so long as you only sell a game with 2D renders
But the moment you distribute something that has the 3D models you might be in danger (such as with 3D models in a 3D game) since you need to have a license to use the 3D model in a product, but you don't need a license to have 2D images (since you own them even if the 3D models used for them haven't been bought).

Beastnation

Sep 2, 2019
I guess if anything: it is ok so long as you only sell a game with 2D renders
But the moment you distribute something that has the 3D models you might be in danger (such as with 3D models in a 3D game) since you need to have a license to use the 3D model in a product, but you don't need a license to have 2D images (since you own them even if the 3D models used for them haven't been bought).
Thanks for the info. But I didn't understand about 3D models in 3D game.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
The software itself can not tell the difference between legitimately purchased and pirated assets. And why would it? DAZ is designed to allow the use of self made assets, or assets purchased or acquired for free from other vendors. It is even acceptable to use the assets you own on multiple computers in your home.

Like Saki said, the only real concern would be using them for 3D. So the difference is that using the assets to create still images like we see in VN's is totally fine. But if someone wants to make a 3D game like House Party where the characters are moving around in a 3D environment then you better get the appropriate license.

And of course it you ever start making real money from your game then you should do the right thing and pay for what you use.

JustNotFatal

Apr 27, 2017
The software itself can not tell the difference between legitimately purchased and pirated assets. And why would it? DAZ is designed to allow the use of self made assets, or assets purchased or acquired for free from other vendors. It is even acceptable to use the assets you own on multiple computers in your home.

Like Saki said, the only real concern would be using them for 3D. So the difference is that using the assets to create still images like we see in VN's is totally fine. But if someone wants to make a 3D game like House Party where the characters are moving around in a 3D environment then you better get the appropriate license.

And of course it you ever start making real money from your game then you should do the right thing and pay for what you use.
Let's say money is not involved/game is not being sold. Do assets not "work" without a license? Was that more of a morality/legality sort of thing?

redle

Apr 12, 2017
This thread is a silly question. It starts out with... If I do something illegal and then do more things, is this okay? Well, obviously the answer is no. As soon as "illegal" is a part of what you are doing, then the question is already answered.

Presumably your real question is more along the lines of, "will I get caught?" Or, "can people tell I did something illegal?"

Posting a message that basically announces that this is what you are doing isn't a great start at keeping it a secret. Others have already supplied the opinion that most products are distributed and licensed in such a way that 2D art is fine for use by legitimate purchasers of the product and that the products aren't individually tracked.

Even if there is no tracking, it's still generally quite obvious in those images which products were used. As soon as money becomes involved, anonymity is given up (meaning wire transfers and such create a link). Proof of purchase/license ownership could be requested. Is such a thing likely, probably not. Even less so if your profit is small. But none of us are lawyers supplying you with actual legal advice. All you are really going to get in a thread like this is a bunch of conjecture and guesswork.

As with all such endeavors, do whatever you're going to do at your own risk. Everyone always gets away with everything... until they don't.

(In other words, the threat is unavoidable if someone wants to pursue it far enough. It's more a matter of being unable to prove legitimacy than advertising illegitimacy, assuming you don't do posts like this announcing you are doing it.)

Last edited:

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
As soon as "illegal" is a part of what you are doing, then the question is already answered.
Prejudice! What if the eagle was out drinking, and he's just a little intoxicated or hung-over... not really sick?
You can't go around assuming that eagles are sick, without looking at all the evidence.
4ee83eda-b44a-47e6-9861-b0bcecfd780c.png

Don't be so quick to judge. Maybe his mate NTR'd him, and he has reasons for drinking.

redle

Apr 12, 2017
Prejudice! What if the eagle was out drinking, and he's just a little intoxicated or hung-over... not really sick?
You can't go around assuming that eagles are sick, without looking at all the evidence.
View attachment 490993

Don't be so quick to judge. Maybe his mate NTR'd him, and he has reasons for drinking.
Moderately humorous, but not all that relevant. OP stated the assets were pirated, so it wasn't an assumption or judgement on my part. I was simply stating that one can't make things stop being illegal by obfuscating them.

(I'll grant you that the question of "is it okay" is so vague that it requires a lot of interpretation. From the perspective of a site that clearly condones piracy, obviously piracy and use of pirated items are likely fine by them. So I did take the leap of faith that it wasn't a question of whether or not people here cared if he did it.)

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Moderately humorous, but not all that relevant. OP stated the assets were pirated, so it wasn't an assumption or judgement on my part. I was simply stating that one can't make things stop being illegal by obfuscating them.

(I'll grant you that the question of "is it okay" is so vague that it requires a lot of interpretation. From the perspective of a site that clearly condones piracy, obviously piracy and use of pirated items are likely fine by them. So I did take the leap of faith that it wasn't a question of whether or not people here cared if he did it.)
what if we build a wall to stop the illegals?

1007705_1_Bald eagle rescued_standard.jpg