Is it Patreon friendly ?

MrJak

Game Developer
Jan 28, 2023
Hi there,

Got a question.
Let's imagine I'm creating a Ren'py harem-like game, which take place in a medieval-fantasy world.
What if hypothetically some of my characters have some resemblance to let's say... actresses.

Do you think I might get banned?

I share some visuals to give you an idea

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
idea.png star009png.png stars222003png copy.png

Reactions: Henty_Panty

Thicc Lord

Purveyor of Thicc
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
In short, it’s a fine line you’re on. You could add a line that says “All characters are fictional, any resemblance to real people is purely coincidental” or something of that effect.

I would recommend you read the Community Guidelines.

However, plenty of creators already do this - so it really depends on how “obvious” it is and how much attention you’re going to garner.

MrJak

Game Developer
Jan 28, 2023
Thanks for you answer.

The line “All characters are fictional, any resemblance to real people is purely coincidental” was going to be put in the beginning of the game for sure.

I should have think to look at their guidelines, my bad.

In short, it’s a fine line you’re on. You could add a line that says “All characters are fictional, any resemblance to real people is purely coincidental” or something of that effect.

I would recommend you read the Community Guidelines.

However, plenty of creators already do this - so it really depends on how “obvious” it is and how much attention you’re going to garner.

Thicc Lord

Purveyor of Thicc
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
Thanks for you answer.

The line “All characters are fictional, any resemblance to real people is purely coincidental” was going to be put in the beginning of the game for sure.

I should have think to look at their guidelines, my bad.
It’s all good, just make sure to read them real close. Last thing you want is for your Patreon to be shut down.

Reactions: MrJak

ChaosOpen

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2019
That being said, you are playing with fire. Even if you put "all characters are fictional" these things are judged based on what a reasonable person would conclude, and it would be clear to the judge that the resemblance to so many famous A list actresses is no mere coincidence and they could potentially sue you for damages. If you're that concerned, I suggest you see a lawyer, show him your game and ask for his advice.

*I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Fanart is not illegal... There are games not only making use of real life celebrities but even using them in the setting of a copyrighted story like Whores of Thrones (Game of thrones), clearly it isn't an issue for either.

MrJak

Game Developer
Jan 28, 2023
Didn't know this game.

I'm less worried now hahaha.

Thanks

JarheadGames

Feb 3, 2022
I could be wrong but I think copyright only sets in when you SELL the game. If you use patreon, you're not selling the game. It's the legal equivalant of a friend giving you 10 bucks to support your hobby of drawing, not to actually buy a peice of art. If that makes sense.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I could be wrong
You're right. You're wrong. Copyright infringement occurs in the creation, not the compensation. The difference is personal use vs. communal use.

Whether on Patreon or just a buddy giving you 10 bucks to support your hobby - both are consider communal and compensatory.

The question for someone to consider is to what level they wish to pursue someone infringing on their intellectual property is mitigated by how much $$$ they can get from the offender in a civil case, however. It wouldn't stop them from sending a Cease and Desist to the infringer, as well as to any platform hosting that infringer's content. Patreon would heed a Cease and Desist, FYI.

Also, you're replying to a thread that is over a year old.