Ren'Py Is it possible to add network capabilities into Ren'Py?

May 29, 2022
Oh, and I want to highlight the word possible. It doesn't really matter whether securing the project, ethical terms, and so forth. I just want to know if it's POSSIBLE.

With games like Love Nikki and Geometry Dash, they both have online functions that allow you to interact with other people. Essentially, an online community. I was thinking of implementing an online community (I plan to make this optional of course) for people to interact with.

BUT, those 2 games I mentioned were written in Cocos2D-x, so I'm not sure how a similar thing would work in Ren'Py. As far as I'm aware a lot of modules capable of doing this sometimes use libraries from other languages (Like C, C#, or C++, or even Java maybe) so finding pure Python modules would be a bit impossible.

But you might be thinking, for what I'm doing, "Is it really necessary though? Do you not know about all the technological setbacks that might happen while doing so? Wouldn't you have to edit the Ren'Py SDK itself to accommodate these features?" For what I'm doing. Yes. But - should I? Would I? Could I? Maybe not.

But all I want to know is, can I? I don't care if I won't be able to, I don't care if it ends up being really difficult in the long run, I don't care if I might have to pay for it, I don't care if I have to implement some MySQL database for this to work, I just want to know, is it possible?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Oh, and I want to highlight the word possible. It doesn't really matter whether securing the project, ethical terms, and so forth. I just want to know if it's POSSIBLE.
Yes, of course. Exception to some really specific language (and yet...), any languages that can use libraries have at least a basic HTTP library. And obviously, Python is not an exception, it have a ton of libraries dedicated to networks ; from local UNIX sockets, to custom protocols, passing by the obvious HTTP over TCP connections.
Those libraries are even available by default, so there's no need to add them a second time, like too many authors are doing.

I could say more, but you wouldn't like it.

May 29, 2022
Yes, of course. Exception to some really specific language (and yet...), any languages that can use libraries have at least a basic HTTP library. And obviously, Python is not an exception, it have a ton of libraries dedicated to networks ; from local UNIX sockets, to custom protocols, passing by the obvious HTTP over TCP connections.
Those libraries are even available by default, so there's no need to add them a second time, like too many authors are doing.

I could say more, but you wouldn't like it.
Hmmm, I'm intrigued, say more :unsure: Honestly I just want everything I can get, maybe this thread will be helpful for someone who has the same idea.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Hmmm, I'm intrigued, say more :unsure: Honestly I just want everything I can get, maybe this thread will be helpful for someone who has the same idea.
Well, it's the kind of topic where, if you need to ask, then you don't have the knowledge to do it. And what you said in your first post tend to confirm this.

What you want is nothing more than a basic HTTP connection. Even with the two games you named, it's how it's done.
There's no miracle library handling an "online chat", this whatever the language. And there's no need to edit Ren'Py's core for this. And obviously even less the SDK, that have nothing to do with this.

The fact that you don't know this, mean that you still don't have the minimal knowledge needed to do what you want. It's not a question of security or ethic, it's just a question of capacities.
You can read one of the many blog post explaining how to do a chat in Python, but you wouldn't understand what you're doing. Not by lack of codding knowledge, but by lack of knowledge regarding networks.

It's not something really difficult but, if you don't know how networks works, you'll not really be able to adjust the code you've seen to your needs. And debugging over networks isn't something easy.
So, you should start by learning how to code for networks, before trying to see how you can add an online chat in your game.

May 29, 2022
Well, it's the kind of topic where, if you need to ask, then you don't have the knowledge to do it. And what you said in your first post tend to confirm this.

What you want is nothing more than a basic HTTP connection. Even with the two games you named, it's how it's done.
There's no miracle library handling an "online chat", this whatever the language. And there's no need to edit Ren'Py's core for this. And obviously even less the SDK, that have nothing to do with this.

The fact that you don't know this, mean that you still don't have the minimal knowledge needed to do what you want. It's not a question of security or ethic, it's just a question of capacities.
You can read one of the many blog post explaining how to do a chat in Python, but you wouldn't understand what you're doing. Not by lack of codding knowledge, but by lack of knowledge regarding networks.

It's not something really difficult but, if you don't know how networks works, you'll not really be able to adjust the code you've seen to your needs. And debugging over networks isn't something easy.
So, you should start by learning how to code for networks, before trying to see how you can add an online chat in your game.
Makes sense. Of course I'd would learn how to do all that stuff on my own - just wanted to know if it was possible enough.