Is it possible to create full 3d stealth sections in renpy?

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
Hey guys. I don't know the full extent of the renpy engine versatility, and i've seen a bunch of cool and improbable stuff made with renpy so i got a bit curious. So I've been wondering if it is possible to have a more gamy mini game in renpy. like a full 3d stealth section when you have a level, and have to escape undetected, or a fps section.. lol

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
In theory, it's actually possible. Ren'py is based on a version of PyGame, and includes a lot of it. You'd build this as a "Creator Defined Displayable" which gives you pretty much full control (in Python) on what is displayed on the screen, plus access to raw event stream.

Of course, it would take a lot of Python programming, and whether the Ren'py version of PyGame contains everything you'd need is an open question (PyTom build a custom version built on SDL2, and there are a few things he consciously omitted), but if you're willing to go to that level, you do have a lot of power.

Not saying that something like this would be easy, or that Unity might not be a better approach, but there _is_ a lot of power lurking there.

Catapo

Jun 14, 2018
Normally no, RenPy is a 2D framework however it might have OpenGL(or similar) support like SDL2 or SFML for 3D stuff but that is an entire different monster. Making 3D stuff in that would require you to write everything yourself including your own model/animation loaders.

You want a game with both 2D and 3D then use a 3D engine like Unity or Unreal.

Or ditch the 3D minigame ideas ... you mentioned stealth games those can be made in 2D as well.
As for shooters many old shooters were 2d (think Duck Hunt or some first person rail shooters).
You might also look into a technique called Raycasting that is used to display 2D maps in a 3D way (a fake 3D). Games like the old Wolfenstein were made with that.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
If you are after full blown 3d it is absolute NO.

you will need 3d dimension calculation. I believe renpy does not have kind of a system.

However, when I was a kid there was a game named Eye of The Beholder. Which sprite based 3d emulation game.

start_143.png

For that kind of a game, I believe renpy can handle.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm surprised that nobody talked about . It's not effective 3D, but it's a working compromise between old school 3D and Ren'py.