Daz Is it possible to increase the number of polygons in a mesh of a given object in Daz?

Sakrilas

Just Another Member
Game Developer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a big fan of Mesh Grabber, but this tool doesn't work really well with objects that are low-poly.

Is there anyway in Daz that I could create more polygons in a mesh? Even splitting each polygon in half for example, would already work great.

Sakrilas

Just Another Member
Game Developer
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply, OtterBotCG

When I tried "Convert to SubD", the overall shape of the object got deformed for most settings.

The only setting that preserved the shape of the object was Bilinear Subdivision Algorithm, but that, sadly, didn't create more divisions in the object for me to select with Mesh Grabber.

Here's a screenshot showing the object (in this case, an envelope), converted to SubD using Bilinear subdivision and still the whole body of the envelope is one selectable entity.

1641447848110.png

Other SubD Algorithms add a few more areas, but greatly distort the object. Here's an image using the Catmark Algorithm.

1641447944295.png

Do you have any tips on how I can make more selectable areas for mesh grabber without distorting the object?

Nov 27, 2021
Im not sure of any other ways in daz but you can always export the model to blender and add some loop cuts or just subdivide there and redefine the edges with a loop cut

Reactions: Sakrilas

Sakrilas

Just Another Member
Game Developer
Oct 26, 2017
Have you considered just using/painting a dForce weight map to make your envelope react to gravity
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that, but it feels like the low poly is also making dForce deformations be really ugly and spiky.

Thanks no__name, while I do appreciate the link, I can't help but still wonder if there is a nice DAZ way to handle low poly deformation in case I come across the same situation in the future.

Im not sure of any other ways in daz but you can always export the model to blender and add some loop cuts or just subdivide there and redefine the edges with a loop cut
Yeah, I'm afraid I'll have to be relying on blender to fix this problem whenever it happens.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Thanks @no__name, while I do appreciate the link, I can't help but still wonder if there is a nice DAZ way to handle low poly deformation in case I come across the same situation in the future.
Np o/. Not sure if it helps and I don't use Daz as I used to, but I remember a glitch with low polys mesh and dForce. If the base mesh was too low poly, dForce couldn't "catch" it (mesh falling into the void), no matter how many time it was subdivided (in Daz). I wonder if this related :unsure:.

Reactions: Sakrilas