Is it possible to use Koikatu to create games and not get to court

Nickuru

May 31, 2020
Good afternoon, can Koikatu be used to create visual novels? How do developers relate to this? I saw an old topic on the forum, maybe something has changed.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Technically, Illusion owns the copyright to anything produced using their Koikatu software... Therefore, any use of their products outside of their products is considered a copyright violation, more so if money is being made from the use of their software without direct permission from them (even donation money)...

Now you know the legality of it's use... The ball is in your court...

Zip

Reactions: Hongfire Survivor

Nickuru

May 31, 2020
Technically, Illusion owns the copyright to anything produced using their Koikatu software... Therefore, any use of their products outside of their products is considered a copyright violation, more so if money is being made from the use of their software without direct permission from them (even donation money)...

Zip
Thank you very much for your reply.

Reactions: Zippity

Nickuru

May 31, 2020

Zip
And what could you advise? Use Koikatu or is it better to paint yourself? I just see that games using Koikatu are gaining an audience, which means people like the graphics style of the game. What style should you use in games in your opinion? I will be glad if you find time to answer questions. Have a nice day.

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
And what could you advise? Use Koikatu or is it better to paint yourself? I just see that games using Koikatu are gaining an audience, which means people like the graphics style of the game. What style should you use in games in your opinion? I will be glad if you find time to answer questions. Have a nice day.
I mean, if you're a decent artist and have the tools to create digital art (graphics tablet, digipaint software), then definitely paint yourself because it will look unique and different from the cookie-cutter styles of Koikatu/Honey Select.

Koikatu has a very clean style, and people may just be tired of the Honey Select look, so any change is good. The proportions for the facial features are a little too extreme for my liking (huge eyes, tiny nose and mouth). Also, seems quite tough to get a good-looking adult male character made. Maybe mods can fix this, haven't explored that option.

Nickuru

May 31, 2020
I mean, if you're a decent artist and have the tools to create digital art (graphics tablet, digipaint software), then definitely paint yourself because it will look unique and different from the cookie-cutter styles of Koikatu/Honey Select.

Koikatu has a very clean style, and people may just be tired of the Honey Select look, so any change is good. The proportions for the facial features are a little too extreme for my liking (huge eyes, tiny nose and mouth). Also, seems quite tough to get a good-looking adult male character made. Maybe mods can fix this, haven't explored that option.
Thanks for the detailed answer.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
I was more or less just directly answering your question...

As to suggestions for avoiding complications with the law entirely... There are lots of other means of acquiring visuals beyond you creating them yourself through original artwork via drawing them yourself (and therefore you own the copyright/trademark on the image work)... You could always seek out an artist to collaborate with (partner up), or find some Drawing/Animation Software that doesn't have the same copyright restrictions, and so on... There are options available to you, but in the end it is all up to you...

Zip