Is it really that easy to live off patreon?

sodomyxxx

Mar 9, 2018
Let's do a hypothetical. Your goal is just to make as money out of patreon. You don't care about ethics, artistic integrity, and all that abstract nonesense. You bake some half assed Daz Renders, give them big boobs. Make sure the landlady really has big boobs. You slap on incest/harem and whatever what's popular on f95 in a halfbake story.

Would you be able to entice people enough to live off patreon?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
But is it worth it? Doing something you don't care about just to make some change from naive supporters?

At that point you could be working with anything else you don't care about and being paid even more...
To live out of something implies logevity, but at some point people will figure out that you are doing it just for the money and consequently your support will start leaking.

So yes, it would be a big challenge to "live off" half assed stuff, lots of grind for little return in the long run.

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
Let's do a hypothetical. Your goal is just to make as money out of patreon. You don't care about ethics, artistic integrity, and all that abstract nonesense. You bake some half assed Daz Renders, give them big boobs. Make sure the landlady really has big boobs. You slap on incest/harem and whatever what's popular on f95 in a halfbake story.

No.
Just like a youtuber.
You either make it or you dont.
And you are just as expendable.
The moment you stop being fun.
Is the moment people leave.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022

The short answer is no if you live in the USA or Northern/Western Europe -- unless you are lucky.

There are suckers born every minute, so I don't think the passion vs. profit question comes into play here. You can make it appear like you're passionate. You can make it appear like you give a shit. That's not hard to do. I mean, if people weren't so gullible - we wouldn't need consumer protection programs and the better business bureau and government regulations.

But when you look at the data, there are almost 5,000 adult game creators on Patreon right now.

Of those that show their $$$ per month:
#100 is $4K USD. That's the top 2%.
The top 5% is $1800 USD per month.
The top 10% (#500) is $700 USD.

For patrons:
Top 2% is 1650 patrons.
Top 5% is 750 patrons.
Top 10% is 390 patrons.

Of those 5,000 ... 2,800 or so started up in the past 3 years.

For $$$:
Top 2% is $2,200 USD per month.
Top 5% is $900 USD per month.
Top 10% is $460 USD per month.

For patrons:
Top 2% is 800 patrons.
Top 5% is 400 patrons.
Top 10% is 200 patrons.

That's not counting the creators who have been suspended because of failing to follow Patreon TOS (like having incest in their game) or quit on their own (because it's fucking harder than people think it is).

If you want a good chance at making bank at doing something (EDIT: that is considered "easy") - you want it to be a bit closer to a 50% shot at making that bank. 50% of adult game creators on Patreon are bringing in $13 USD or less per month and have 17 patrons.

Last edited:

OldCardinal

May 4, 2022

It's so easy that most games end up abandoned.

Reactions: woody554
May 3, 2018

People are pretty good at recognizing whether a creator has passion for their own project or not.

You might fool people at first, but it would become quickly apparent. You wouldn't only have to "half-ass" the renders and game, you'd also have to "half-ass" the social media posts you'd HAVE to use to attract attention to your Patreon, then you'd have to "half-ass" the Patreon posts.

It would be harder than you think to even "half-ass" it.

If money is your goal, you're likely to make much more by "half-assing" a part-time job.

The short answer is no if you live in the USA or Northern/Western Europe -- unless you are lucky.
50% of adult game creators on Patreon are bringing in $13 USD or less per month and have 17 patrons.
This is the big one right here. This should be plastered all over the site.

You'd better be PASSIONATE about your game and love working on it regardless of what you make off of it, because chances are you won't make much of anything off of it.

And it can be very much luck as to whether or not your game becomes a breakout hit - but that's going to take passion in addition to luck. Passion to stick it out during all the months when you may not be making ANYTHING.

I listened to an interview with Darkcookie (of Summertime Saga fame), and he went months on Patreon when he started with ZERO Patreons. He was almost ready to quit, then he got ONE Patreon, and felt guilty, so he continued. Then the Patreon count started to snowball. But if I recall, he said he was so demotivated by the lack of attention that he was a day away from quitting.

Here is something else important about "luck".
"Luck is opportunity meeting preparedness."
You have to have a good game you are passionately working on to get "lucky" when the opportunity of the right people stumbling onto it happens. (The one Patreon who found Darkcookie's game happened to be an avid social media user, and bragged on the game across several forums and sites.)

TLDR;
Doing a "half-ass" job is going to be almost as hard as doing it right, and you are unlikely to find success regardless. Better to do what you are passionate about.

Shli

Everlasting Dreamer
Game Developer
Mar 10, 2019
"Luck is opportunity meeting preparedness."
You have to have a good game you are passionately working on to get "lucky" when the opportunity of the right people stumbling onto it happens.

Truth has been spoken!

ChaosOpen

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2019
Rather than talking about what is possible, let's talk about what is probable. While it is possible to make a living off of patreon, out of the millions of patreon accounts only a handful make enough to support themselves for 99.9% of people it is simply a supplement to other revenue streams. Anyone making any money from it is offering a very rare product you can't get anywhere else, VNs is an oversaturated market and unless you go for a particularly twisted fetish you're most likely not going to draw much attention.

Ratrio

Aug 21, 2018
If it was easy we'd all be doing it probably.
You have a chance of being successful but it's probably not a high chance.

Reactions: Doorknob22

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Each day, there's someone who believe that it's as easy and try to do it.

Each day, it become more difficult to do it, even when you're dedicated and do it seriously, precisely because of the guy who just tried that same day.

And I'm serious when saying "each day". Last time I checked was the 4 May, so 27 days ago. There were 4.7xx creators of adult games, they now are 4.823. So, even if it was 4.799, it would mean 24 new creators in 27 days.

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017

1) It's not an easy thing to do. It requires writing, coding, and visual art skills not just daz skills. Most people don't have good skills in all 3 things.

2) If you are going for easy money "Loli" is much more money than "Big Boobs" because big boobs are legal. "Cunni makes the money!". I would describe that as "High Risk High Reward" and one must be careful with that, and use Subscribe Star not patreon.

3) Half assed effort makes much less money. Time and effort must be put in.

4) Being popular on f95zone does not directly correlate with profitability. 5 star reviews and positive comments do not transform into dollars.

5) Incest is a good way to get some support, but there are many failed incest games.

6) Building a reputation of not having artistic integrity and being unethical is very bad for business.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
It is not easy. No matter how good you are, you have to attract enough people willing to support and that requires a shitload of luck. A lot of people here on F95 claim it would be easy and especially claim that making a game in the first place is an easy job, which is both not the case otherwise we wouldn't see all these abandoned games.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
A lot of people here on F95 claim it would be easy and especially claim that making a game in the first place is an easy job, [...]
Be noted that they claim it, but so far I haven't seen one just trying to do it.
I have many example of people who thought it, and later abandoned their game. But they were believing it, not saying it. The ones who talk are sat on their couch, telling to the others, "hey, games are so easy to make, what are you waiting to make the game I want to play ?"

Crispy Chicken

Sandwich Lover
Game Developer
Jun 30, 2020
3) Half assed effort makes much less money. Time and effort must be put in.
Agree. And even this is a double-edged sword. I've seen fellow devs quit halfway because the costs of developing are even bigger than what they earn. Time and effort spent in developing a game could be spent anywhere else, and so a dev really has to take those into account.

Developing games is hard work, as I've experienced (being new to the community and all). It requires lots of patience and time... and a bit of luck, too.

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
It all depends where you live. If you live in some eastern-european 3rd world country its probably way easier to live off Patreon/YouTube etc than in a rich Country like Germany where you probably make more money off wellfare.