Is mobile a must for successful game?

IsekaiGodX

Game Developer
Sep 15, 2020
Hi everyone, so I've been working on an open world RPG game like Genshin Impact for a month now. At first I though that it would be able to run on mobile devices but generally I don't think it's possible at this stage due to constraint such as time, money and skills (primarily I don't have a dedicated 3d artist yet to work with the mesh count and they are expensive).

How many of you play adult games on the mobile devices VS desktop?? Is an action rpg game like this a deal breaker without mobile? I'd like to evaluate if I should just pitch this game to agency like Nutaku so I could work on the mobile (but prob would take time and I'm not sure if it will be successfull or not) or should I procceed laucnhing the first version in desktop?

Let me know what you think. Also any input would be appreciated. Also I'd be happy if you can keep in touch with me at as your input is valuable.

HatefulLightheartedCaecilian-size_restricted.gif

Back

Aug 3, 2017
You should probably just make this into a poll if you want to get a good sense of whether many Zoners play adult games on mobile. Personally, I don't, but that's cause I have an old phone with most of the space being eaten up to work and financial apps. It's also an Android so apps won't completely move over to the SD side; though, I do have a card game on it that I often play or just use as a timewaster. (I have books and images and other data on the SD card.) Thus, it's mostly due to space limitations for me that I don't play on mobile and as such, I don't have much experience whether it's even a good fit for me though I fear it probably wouldn't be regardless of space. On the secondary question, no, I don't believe mobile is a must for a game to be successful though it probably helps.

DS23G

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2019
No idea how helpful this is for your particular situation, since my game is a renpy VN and thus may appeal to a different audience, but here are some stats when it comes to PC vs. android downloads for my VN: The free version on itch.io has 576 downloads for PC and 330 for android, while the gamejolt download numbers are 713 for PC and 108 for android.

So while there's still a majority of PC players, the android users make up a pretty significant number.

Takomon

Nov 20, 2018
Personally I prefer to play game on PC, playing on phone is just too uncomfortable.

And is there any context for the character in your gif running around like my local crackhead ?

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
what game engine are you using? I think it's easy to port a game to android if you use unity tho, you gotta make a few additional codes about auto-adjusting fonts and UI sizes, and screen's orientation.

ozbozoz

Jun 6, 2018
I never play anything on my phone, as I too find it quite uncomfortable - plus I have a PC and I'm almost always at home and can access it (especially nowadays).

But there is an ever increasing number of people who don't bother getting a PC anymore, since they nowadays can do everything they need to on their phones - which they already have. I have several friends that have had laptops in the past, but got rid of them in favor of using their phones, and perhaps a tablet if they need a slightly bigger screen for something (e.g. Netflix). I can't imagine doing that myself, but it's something you can't ignore if you absolutely *must* reach the largest audience possible.

So it's a cost/benefit thing. If you reach double the amount of users by targeting e.g. Android as well as PC, and it costs you less than twice as much to get there, then it could very well be worth it. Of course, it's more complex than that, and I'm just pulling numbers from thin air, but it's definitely something to consider.

Deleted member 1684328

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2019
Having a game optimized for multiple platforms is always nice to have, but it depends on your game. If you have a free roam 3D game where you can go everywhere you want, it's a lot harder then when you have a visual novel.