Is Patreon okay with games in highschool settings?

vosenvot

Apr 29, 2023
I am aware that there are games like The Headmaster and Summertime Saga exist but how do they avoid getting obliterated by Patreon? Thank you for your answers!

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
If you have to ask, don't do it.

If you go ahead with anything questionable, do it with the knowledge that you could get shut down for whatever reason. They might even change the rules and retroactively ban you.

I'm sure you can come up with a story about college or higher age group. If that's boring and not something you want to work on, then you will have to roll the dice. Or you can go with Subscribestar which is more lax on enforcement of their rules (which could still change on a whim).

Would I prefer an environment where devs can make any and all kinds of questionable shit they want? Yeah, because I'm a degenerate. But I'm also a realist and don't have some victim complex where the big baddies are out to get us. Private corporations can do what they think is in their best interest. And in the current climate, I suppose that is to be super anal retentive about consent in fiction and shit like that. Oh well.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I am aware that there are games like The Headmaster and Summertime Saga exist but how do they avoid getting obliterated by Patreon? Thank you for your answers!
The Headmaster: "All students over eighteen who failed or were expelled from school are to be forced back into education at a number of special facilities."

From that description, it appears that it's not set in a traditional high school setting. That said, if it is a traditional high school setting - either the developer has already had conversations with Patreon or the developer hasn't been reported for the Safety Team to investigate.

Summertime Saga: It was originally set in high school. However, in 2017, Patreon cracked down on adult game developers who they found had content which was in violation of their community guidelines, TOS, etc. At that time, one of the several changes the developer made was changing the setting from high school to college/university. Yes, it looks like a high school - but all references since v0.15.0 have called it a college/university.

Reactions: vosenvot

vosenvot

Apr 29, 2023
The Headmaster: "All students over eighteen who failed or were expelled from school are to be forced back into education at a number of special facilities."

From that description, it appears that it's not set in a traditional high school setting. That said, if it is a traditional high school setting - either the developer has already had conversations with Patreon or the developer hasn't been reported for the Safety Team to investigate.

Summertime Saga: It was originally set in high school. However, in 2017, Patreon cracked down on adult game developers who they found had content which was in violation of their community guidelines, TOS, etc. At that time, one of the several changes the developer made was changing the setting from high school to college/university. Yes, it looks like a high school - but all references since v0.15.0 have called it a college/university.
Thank you for your answer! How are games like "Four Elements Trainer" still exist though? They use characters that are below 18 in the setting(It is a parody game if anyone reading this doesn't know). Can anyone just say that character is 18 and go on with their life or are they just lucky?

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Thank you for your answer! How are games like "Four Elements Trainer" still exist though? They use characters that are below 18 in the setting(It is a parody game if anyone reading this doesn't know). Can anyone just say that character is 18 and go on with their life or are they just lucky?
I already answered these questions when I addressed your query about The Headmaster.

Patreon doesn't monitor every single developer's content - they spot check, but mostly rely on subscribers reporting content for review. The more $$$ you make, the more likely you are going to get caught.

Many developers are knowingly putting in content which violates their agreement with Patreon and hope they never get caught. Some are lucky for a few days. Some for a few months. Some for a few years. For example, there was one game that got away with it for nearly 6 years - even after having changed their content near the beginning, they decided they could get away with stuff --- eventually becoming a top 20 adult game developer on Patreon... only to see their account shut down this spring.

vosenvot

Apr 29, 2023
I already answered these questions when I addressed your query about The Headmaster.

Patreon doesn't monitor every single developer's content - they spot check, but mostly rely on subscribers reporting content for review. The more $$$ you make, the more likely you are going to get caught.

Many developers are knowingly putting in content which violates their agreement with Patreon and hope they never get caught. Some are lucky for a few days. Some for a few months. Some for a few years. For example, there was one game that got away with it for nearly 6 years - even after having changed their content near the beginning, they decided they could get away with stuff --- eventually becoming a top 20 adult game developer on Patreon... only to see their account shut down this spring.
Thank you for your answer and have a nice day!

Reactions: Count Morado

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
With Patreon you might or might not get away with it.
But with Steam you definitely won't get away with it, they are nuking everything including japanese translated stuff.
Which is why you see Daz College games are the new Meta.

Reactions: vosenvot