Is Plagarism a Thing?

jrwizzard

Sep 4, 2020
Can dev Adam, design create, build, etc, a renpy game, based on a written story by author Brian, without consequences? How different would the renpy need to be from the story, not to get backlash for its similarities?

There is this story written on SOL, that is very slow to update chapters, that I think would be an excellent story for a Renpy dev to base a game on. It is totally new, never seen anything even remote similar. so far on this site...

When I read it,I have been daydreaming about writing my own story, based on a similar premise of the other story, maybe the same universe. You know how everyone dreams about what they would buy when they hit the lottery? I used to do that. Since reading this story, my dream changed. Instead of the lottery, I want the same thing that happened to the MC in the story, and I have been day dreaming about it every since. Thus, the story I want to write.

-Becoming almost super human
-Stealing money from the bad guys, so much that they eventually narrow down he might have it. Your life getting more and more interesting because of it.
-Becoming a target of the government, one for your almost superhuman abilities or luck, but really for exerting your independence, eventually becoming a one person world superpower, not taking any shit. For doing whats right and throwing it in their face.
-Slowly developing a harem over generations. due to your pure genetics, incest becomes legal for your descendants on your personal island. Not eugenics, multi ethnic/cultural physical bodies get their genetics cleaned of all possible genetic abnormalities and diseases by association with you. association, not necessarily sex.
-and a few other ideas

If there is a dev(s) out there in need of a fresh new universe to build their game from, PM me, and I will send you an SOL link to the story, and let you read it yourself. The story if currently at 580k words, the universe is well laid out.

is there a better place to post this?(last question)

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Can dev Adam, design create, build, etc, a renpy game, based on a written story by author Brian, without consequences?
I am not aware of what SOL is nor their terms and conditions for authors to post their work. The below would be a factor if there is not some statement on SOL that says by posting content on their site authors relinquish their ownership of the content into the public domain (or similar wording).

However, Brian owns the copyright of their work. Anyone using Brian's work without an agreement with Brian places themselves in jeopardy of copyright infringement if Brian was to become aware and decided to move forward with legal action.

If Brian did decide to move forward with legal action, it would most likely begin with a warning letter from Brian or his legal representative stating that the developer should remove all content, etc. that Brian asserts is their intellectual property. If that is not heeded, next that could follow would be a cease and desist letter to the developer and any platforms which hosts the content and/or the developer uses to solicit earnings (whether through donations, subscriptions, purchases, etc). At this point, even if all content is removed, Brian may decide to file a claim of infringement to seek compensation and damages.

Throughout, even if the developer eventually was able to successfully prove "fair use" transformation or that the developer's work was different enough from Brian's original work that there is no infringement, the developer most likely need to enlist legal counsel to properly address any claims and represent them in a court or mediation/arbitration. This would cost $$$$.

Now, this all hinges on whether Brian would find out and if they decided it was worth their time and effort.

If a person is truly concerned about legal ramifications, they should seek legal counsel before proceeding. If they are not as concerned, they can do what many developers on this site have done and just gone ahead and used copywritten material in their creations. Some people get caught. Many don't.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
I am not aware of what SOL is nor their terms and conditions for authors to post their work. The below would be a factor if there is not some statement on SOL that says by posting content on their site authors relinquish their ownership of the content into the public domain (or similar wording).
is the best erotic stories site you never heard of.

As for the OP: I've been writing erotica since the late 90s. Sometimes I get very inspired by another story and I want to write my own version, and I do. But I add enough of "me" and my ideas and my creativity not to make my story a copy of the other story. Premise is not copyrighted AFAIK. Get inspired, but take the story where you want to take it. I don't think it's illegal or that the original author will be offended.