Daz Is RTX 4050 mobile useless or not?

MrDepressedGB

Jul 18, 2024
So, I tried a little bit of rendering on my computer to see if it took longer than expected. And the answer was obvious, it is. If my grandma had a bike, she would probably ride it in half the time it takes for my laptop to render a single frame.

A single G8 character with clothing, hair, a golden palace, and an environment alone can take half an hour to render.

That's when I was wondering if using Daz 3D to create a visual kinetic novel was a little bit too much for my laptop. My biggest problem is I don't want to overheat or take a risk if my hardware stops working.

My specs: Lenovo LOQ 15APH8
- Ryzen 5 7640HS
- RTX 4050 6 GB VRAM mobile
- 16 GB RAM
- 512 SSD

However, I want to try Studio Neo (HS2/Illusion). But I don't think 512 SSD was enough because my Windows took 36 GB for their system and other software exists in my laptop. So it ruled out the possibility.

Keep in mind that I'm still learning to use Daz 3D (I'm basically a noob), and money is also a big factor for me. So, I won't be able to afford a PC eight or nine years down the line. Should I give up? Or maybe tweak the settings in Daz 3D, maybe?

If you guys can help me, I would be more than grateful. Thank you. :)

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
All of that is so tiny.

512gb ssd is not enough, I think my KK folder alone is over 100gb, and HS2 is probably the double. Daz3D (Between scenes and assets) would easily top that as well. You'll need at the very least a few hdds for storage.

6gb vram is not enough for rendering, you can struggle it through I suppose... Worth it? I wouldn't say so. I sure wouldn't. Maybe I'd give Blender rendering a shot. The ram is also not ideal.

If I were in you, i'd give up on Daz3D, buy a 2tb hdd, and start making the game with HS2. Save up money, and make your 2nd project with Daz3D.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
First of all, thank you for the answer. So, this 2TB HDD should be internal or external?
Up to you, you can just get it external. I've had stuff running on external hdds and it was reasonably fast. You could spend more and replace your 512ssd with something bigger, but then you'd need to reinstall windows and other things which is a PITA. I doubt your laptop has slots for more ssds.

Reactions: MrDepressedGB

MrDepressedGB

Jul 18, 2024
Up to you, you can just get it external. I've had stuff running on external hdds and it was reasonably fast. You could spend more and replace your 512ssd with something bigger, but then you'd need to reinstall windows and other things which is a PITA. I doubt your laptop has slots for more ssds.
Thanks for the answer. Much appreciated.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
You can technically clone the drive. Not optimal and no guarantees but it worked for me.

eri

Game Developer
Dec 3, 2017
What you can do with 6gb of vram is you can use scene optimizer for characters / hair and so to reduce things that are 8k/4k resolution to less then when you have a scene with 2-3 chars which with 6gb of vram is probably really hard to do then you can also reduce subdivision level of thigns and characters. So basicly with all that you can have one character fully sized 4k and others with clothing like really low. Then you can render with spot render left side of render where your one character is then load your original scene and render right side and now left side would be resized. Ahm ... :D
Also for me ssd always better then a hdd... thou I have one external hdd which seems to work okay.
So probably resized with scene optimizer as much as you can and then spot render or not spot render.

*Not sure if subdivision will screw the shadows of character as basicly subD will change characters a hmm .... how much sharp/polygons they have I think if you will be doing rendering with as I said with spot render tool.
*512 ssd for long term working with daz is low. But external hdd is okay.

Last edited: