Ren'Py Is there a way to find out what game a Ren'py save was for? (in AppData)

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
I was scrolling through AppData/Roaming/Renpy, and cleaning out old saves I no longer use. While most of the saves were clearly labeled with the game title, many of them were not. Some were just numbers. Some had maybe a name of a character, or something.

I.E.: "ArielFishgram" , "BDL-1571436301" , "2020-1578948005"

I'm trying to find out if there's a way to find out what games these saves were for. (and several other save folders like these)

Is there a way to do that? I would hate to delete saves that I may want to use in the future, but I wanna make more space, and clear out unwanted files.

Xanado

May 9, 2018
Ren'Py saves are archives, open them up with 7zip or whatever you use and check the screenshot inside them.
Nice tip. Some developers really should do a better job of labeling their save folder properly tbh. Too many can't be bothered or forget and we get this mess:

BM-1544724770
CI-1548506988
Inventory02-1551646067

etc.

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
Ren'Py saves are archives, open them up with 7zip or whatever you use and check the screenshot inside them.
I'm not even sure how to do that, to be honest. lol
I use 7zip, but usually I just double click on a zipped folder and it opens up and I click an unpack button.
I just tried to open a save file with 7zip, and it all looks greek to me. lol
Now I get a "catastrophic failure" popup when trying to open a save with 7-Zip

• Sad
Reactions: Xanado

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
If it makes it easier for you, you can simply rename the format from ".save" to ".zip", then extract the screenshot to give it a look and rename it back to ".save" if you need it.

Reactions: FookU2

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
He means the actual save files. ex. : 1-1-LT1.save / auto-1-LT1.save
Right click on the file -> 7zip -> Open archive -> open the .png file.
I know he means the save files. lol
I was just saying I couldn't get 7-Zip to even open the files

• Sad

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
If it makes it easier for you, you can simply rename the format from ".save" to ".zip", then extract the screenshot to give it a look and rename it back to ".save" if you need it.
that worked. thanks
change the format to .zip, then I could just double click the file and it opened up.
Not sure why, but when I right click on the files, it doesn't show an option to use 7-zip. And when I choose to search for a program, it doesn't show 7-zip.
But, changing the format works.

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
Weird that, I would consider reinstalling 7zip.
Problem was solved, but I still may do that anyway.
I just changed .save to .zip, then I was able to double click on the zip file and it opened up.

Max Headroom

pauper commilito CtSH
Sep 27, 2017
Problem was solved, but I still may do that anyway.
I just changed .save to .zip, then I was able to double click on the zip file and it opened up.
Right click on the XXX.save file --> open with --> select 7zip AND check the box "always open with" --> "OK".

Than you don't need to fake xxx.save-files as zips again.

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
Right click on the XXX.save file --> open with --> select 7zip AND check the box "always open with" --> "OK".

Than you don't need to fake xxx.save-files as zips again.
I thought I had previously stated my computer doesn't give me the option to "open with" 7zip when I right click. Anywho...now ya know lol. I can't right click and "open with."