Ren'Py Is there a way to forcibly disable the Save Name prompt in a Ren'Py game (if it isn't a toggleable option in the game)?

Ai Shoujo Fan

Jan 3, 2022
I am looking for a Ren'Py mod that I can use, or a file that I can add to a game folder... to forcibly disable the Save Name requirement that some Ren'Py games have. The games in which you can't disable Save Names in Settings or Options.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I am looking for a Ren'Py mod that I can use, or a file that I can add to a game folder... to forcibly disable the Save Name requirement that some Ren'Py games have. The games in which you can't disable Save Names in Settings or Options.
Since this is not a feature of Ren'Py, but something added by the author of the game, there isn't really an universal way to remove this ; each one tend to implement it in his own way. The fact that it's something added also explain why there's generally no option to disable it.

So, if the author follow his game thread, start by explaining how annoying this is (because yes it is), and asking him to make this optional, or why not better.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Just to clarify, it already is optional (at least in every game I've played with it).
You can just double click or leave the field empty that it still saves the game normally.
To me it has the same annoyance level as the "overwrite save" confirmation box which is just as annoying.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
To me it has the same annoyance level as the "overwrite save" confirmation box which is just as annoying.
It also mess with the game flow when it use a pop-up box to enter the name ; save twice in a row (so without quitting the save page) and look at the screenshot for the second save. It's not enough to effectively break the game, but this isn't a reason to continue doing it.

It's perfectly possible to put the name entry box directly in the save page (there's few example of this in the development section of the forum), and it should always be done like that. And obviously, there's the name of the page itself is editable by default, and can be enough if you organize your saves by page.
So yeah, it should never be done with an extra pop-up, even when integrated to the "overwrite" one.

Luckzor

May 2, 2017
Man, I was waiting there was some kind of mod for this, I'm playing College King and that is pretty anoying, and doesn't help that I feel the game is pretty lame, and with a story that we already saw.