VN Ren'Py Is there a way to implement interactive Live 2D scenes in Ren'Py

yessirskies

Nov 5, 2022
Hello, I was wondering whether you're able to implement some sort of interactive Live2D scenes in Ren'Py (interactive as in draggable clothes) as well as interactive, animated, sex scenes (mouse drag for insertion and pulling out), etc, or is that far too complex for a VN engine like Ren'Py and should I stick to Unity/Godot for something like that instead?

I've had previous experience with Unity as well as Godot, I thought why not try out Ren'Py and test it's limits, hence why I'm asking + it's a VN game with interactive elements, so I thought a VN specific engine might save me some time making the VN part of the game.
Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Yessirskies

Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
All things are possible, but Ren'py is primarily designed as a VN engine. It's flexible enough to make interesting UIs with draggable elements, and even realtime mini-games of various quality. But it's not super easy and there is less info around on how to do it.
Similarly, with enough effort you can pull off live2d style cycle animations with dynamic images and ATL. But it's not easy to do any of this.

The interactivity+simplicity of oldskool Flash is not there, so it makes the results harder to achieve.
I recall reading about an official live2d integration on the renpy forums, but not sure if that has made it into renpy8.0 - I think renpytom was concentrating on the python3 migration primarily.

• Red Heart
Reactions: yessirskies

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
I've done that. not the dragging, but with the help of our lead artists, we figured out how to mix screens and live2D for minigames. However, in my opinion, it's too much effort for a small improvement.
Although, maybe I don't like it because I can't do the animation and live2D files are a black box to me.