Is there a way to port DAZ model to Skyrim as a follower?

Vanaduke

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the tutorials I am seeing are converting outfits and armors to Skyrim but what I am seeking is a way to convert a Genesis 7 model like Asha from Dual Family to Skyrim as a follower. Do I have to acquire licensing, etc? Do I have to acquire difficult conversion programs or applications or learn hours of conversion skills?

I have never made a mod for Skyrim before but I am willing to learn. I only have DAZ rendering level of skills though which I have to learn again as I have not rendered anything in years.

Need help. Thanks.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Most of the tutorials I am seeing are converting outfits and armors to Skyrim but what I am seeking is a way to convert a Genesis 7 model like Asha from Dual Family to Skyrim as a follower. Do I have to acquire licensing, etc? Do I have to acquire difficult conversion programs or applications or learn hours of conversion skills?

I have never made a mod for Skyrim before but I am willing to learn. I only have DAZ rendering level of skills though which I have to learn again as I have not rendered anything in years.

Need help. Thanks.
You can't, and shouldn't.

What you need to look for is how to import faces/heads, and then you'd find many tutorials such as:
The reason you want to only import faces/heads is because the body is universal, and needs to be universal in order for the armor pieces to work properly.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
The reason you want to only import faces/heads is because the body is universal, and needs to be universal in order for the armor pieces to work properly.
What is only half a problem if you're ready to proceed all the clothes one by one in order to make them fit. It's how it's done with the different bodies available for Skyrim, and in fact all Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.
But of course it's a long process, and you'll have to test each clothe many time in game to ensure that everything works fine whatever the pose. And, before all this, you'll have to completely redo the rigging for the body, because the skeleton will not be the same.

After, there will probably be an issue with the number of polygon, that you'll have to reduce. But technically it's possible. The truth isn't that it's not possible, but that it don't worth it.
I don't remember its name, but there's a body for Skyrim that is adaptive. Basically, see it like applying body morphs in Daz, then saving the body as meshes, and not as a suit of morphs with their values. Then there's a tool that will adapt the clothes (at least those compatible with this body) to the shapes you designed.
It's been a long time since I've played Skyrim, and a bit more since I modded for GameBryo and their models, so I don't guaranty the full exactitude of what I said. But globally it's the reason why nobody explain why importing a Daz body, because you don't need to do it.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
What is only half a problem if you're ready to proceed all the clothes one by one in order to make them fit. It's how it's done with the different bodies available for Skyrim, and in fact all Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.
But of course it's a long process, and you'll have to test each clothe many time in game to ensure that everything works fine whatever the pose. And, before all this, you'll have to completely redo the rigging for the body, because the skeleton will not be the same.
More importantly, all that work would amount to "CBBE pls?"

After, there will probably be an issue with the number of polygon, that you'll have to reduce. But technically it's possible. The truth isn't that it's not possible, but that it don't worth it.
I don't remember its name, but there's a body for Skyrim that is adaptive. Basically, see it like applying body morphs in Daz, then saving the body as meshes, and not as a suit of morphs with their values. Then there's a tool that will adapt the clothes (at least those compatible with this body) to the shapes you designed.
It's been a long time since I've played Skyrim, and a bit more since I modded for GameBryo and their models, so I don't guaranty the full exactitude of what I said. But globally it's the reason why nobody explain why importing a Daz body, because you don't need to do it.
Poly count hardly matters with today's technology, unless it is a mmorpg where there's the potential of many of those being in an area, or if you plan to spawn too many of those NPCs.

I just remembered there's a mushroom companion though... If you do not want to change the DAZ NPC's armor like a normal humanoid companion, you could probably look on google "How to import custom enemies/creatures"
But tbh... Just the head is enough. The current body mods offer many options, and you can even retexture them... I do not think Genesis 8 body is any better to motivate all that extra work.