Is there a way to Scroll down to next in VNs, exactly opposite to scroll up to back?

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
If you mean by using the scroll wheel then you'd have to remap the controls yourself. If you've already scrolled back then you can scroll forward to get to the spot you were at. If you just mean a way to quickly go forward then you'll want to enable skipping unseen text in the preferences menu then you can use control to skip forward. All this is specifically for renpy

Reactions: forgetmaster

forgetmaster

Oct 14, 2020
If you mean by using the scroll wheel then you'd have to remap the controls yourself. If you've already scrolled back then you can scroll forward to get to the spot you were at. If you just mean a way to quickly go forward then you'll want to enable skipping unseen text in the preferences menu then you can use control to skip forward. All this is specifically for renpy
Can I remap that in the Renpy game or do I need something else

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
Can I remap that in the Renpy game or do I need something else
you would have to create a renpy script (rpy file) in the game folder and edit the keybindings in there. I recommend finding a renpy dev that's used to modding and getting them to create the script

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
you would have to create a renpy script (rpy file) in the game folder and edit the keybindings in there. I recommend finding a renpy dev that's used to modding and getting them to create the script
Code:
init python:

config.keymap["rollforward"].remove( 'mousedown_5' )
    config.keymap["dismiss"].append( 'mousedown_5' )
But as the code show, the "key" was already used to rollfoward from the point you rollbacked, to the point you started to rollback. This mean that you have to remove a feature to proceed like that.

I would also say that I highly not recommend someone to use this. Mouse wheel is too sensible, and many times you'll advance for more than one dialog line, this without noticing it.

OP, why do you want to use this ?
If it's to have the possibility to advance without using the keyboard, there's already the left button that do this. If it's to advance quickly, there's already the auto advance feature. And if it's for something else, there's perhaps a better way than remaping the mouse wheel.

forgetmaster

Oct 14, 2020
OP, why do you want to use this ?
If it's to have the possibility to advance without using the keyboard, there's already the left button that do this. If it's to advance quickly, there's already the auto advance feature. And if it's for something else, there's perhaps a better way than remaping the mouse wheel.
My Right hand is on the mouse, Left is "Busy", and my mouse clicks too loud for me and that constant clicking just kills my mood, so what I do is skip then go back then scroll, but it would have been way easier just to scroll down.
Thanks for your time

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
My Right hand is on the mouse, Left is "Busy", and my mouse clicks too loud for me and that constant clicking just kills my mood, so what I do is skip then go back then scroll, but it would have been way easier just to scroll down.
Thanks for your time
If you have a usb controller (like an xbox controller) then renpy natively supports those and they are generally quieter than a mouse. Depending on the type of controller you may to calibrate it but that isn't too difficult. Alternatively you can also always use either the enter key or space key on your keyboard. Either of these options would probably be easier than remapping the key especially with what anne mentioned.

forgetmaster

Oct 14, 2020
If you have a usb controller (like an xbox controller) then renpy natively supports those and they are generally quieter than a mouse. Depending on the type of controller you may to calibrate it but that isn't too difficult. Alternatively you can also always use either the enter key or space key on your keyboard. Either of these options would probably be easier than remapping the key especially with what anne mentioned.
I will give Xbox controller a go, it will be nicer than spamming space bar