Is there any point to being innovative?

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
So, I was thinking of making a game in unity with progression for sex skills, musculature and penis size where the sex scenes would be more reactive to the player's stats and would have variations depending on skills. Also being more attractive would be necessary to seduce women and progress the story.

But I feel like the only games that do well are ren'py visual novels, so I was considering to maybe just do a ren'py game and struggle less.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
One of the most used pieces of advice we give on here is -

Do what you want to do.

If you can make a game that is above and beyond what renpy can do, if I was you I'd do it. But I'm not trying to make a million dollars either.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Depends if money is your goal. Generic incest games in Ren'py are low effort and bring in players.

Even if you do what you are planning, throw in a sister or mother or both and people will play.

If you are just doing it for a hobby or a bit of fun then do anything you want. The world is your oyster.

Canade

Sep 26, 2018
The first problem is Unity. It's usually a pain to play and does not have a skip function unless you code it in. Then there's the saves, they don't stay in the Unity folder so it becomes a hunt to find the needle in the haystack, plus, the save function on Unity is a pain in itself. Unity has issues with lag, but that also depends on the game. Generally, I stay away from Unity games and only play 2 or 3 games on that platform, no matter how well done a Unity game may be.

Finally animations, I don't play games with stills because their boring, and I also avoid animations that shake the screen because that's a horrible concept. Even with animations, it's doubtful that I'd play your Unity game for the reasons above.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Unity has its advantage in implementing more sophisticated game mechanics and interface that are more dynamic and real-time.
Renpy in a way you can consider as a turn based game as that's how the "interact" works.

moskis22

Nov 26, 2020
I don't like unity either, but if it is the most suitable engine for your game you should try it IMO
As i see it, first you think what kind of game you want to make, and after that you choose what engine fits better/is easier for it

D

Deleted member 3145675

Hi,
As i see it, first you think what kind of game you want to make, and after that you choose what engine fits better/is easier for it
+1
- write your story
- add/include the mechanics you want to have in your story (try not to have them too complex)
- use the medium/tool you are the most at ease with (you know precisely how to fix a fuck-up in its use or you know how to find a way to do so)
- Have fun doing it.
GL TC.

Aug 11, 2020
Ren'py slideshows only do well on Patreon. Your kind of game would do well on Steam and perhaps itch.io, if properly made and marketed. You really shouldn't focus on that handful of slideshows that do exceedingly well. Most of them do very poorly and only attract a small crowd of freeloaders.