Is there anything better than Honey Select and Honey Select Studio to use in the Ren'py game?

Kane_Freeman

Dec 10, 2020
Hi, I'm thinking of using ren'py to make my first game. At first I used Honey Select and Honey Select Studio for this, but it was quite difficult for me to use HS Studio. So I'm looking for something where the character creation is as simple as in simple HS and the Studio is easier to use. Do you have an advice?

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
Hi, I'm thinking of using ren'py to make my first game. At first I used Honey Select and Honey Select Studio for this, but it was quite difficult for me to use HS Studio. So I'm looking for something where the character creation is as simple as in simple HS and the Studio is easier to use. Do you have an advice?
Off the top of my head, there's daz3d and koitatsu that are also possible to use.
However, both koitatsu and honey select have a similar studio, and daz3d feels even harder to use than them.

A word of advice from someone who started trying to use honey select, gave up, paid for assets, was scammed, then tried daz, and finally is using koitatsu and honey select (which both have a similar studio), I'd say try it again.

The studios are not super intuitive, I will give you that, but maybe if you post your problem I can give you some help in resolving it?

Reactions: Kane_Freeman

Kane_Freeman

Dec 10, 2020
Off the top of my head, there's daz3d and koitatsu that are also possible to use.
However, both koitatsu and honey select have a similar studio, and daz3d feels even harder to use than them.

A word of advice from someone who started trying to use honey select, gave up, paid for assets, was scammed, then tried daz, and finally is using koitatsu and honey select (which both have a similar studio), I'd say try it again.

The studios are not super intuitive, I will give you that, but maybe if you post your problem I can give you some help in resolving it?
I'm not used to using HS Studio in general terms. It felt unnecessarily complicated. It took me a long time to get used to even trying having my character move and pose in a certain place. It is quite difficult to adjust the camera angles. After a lot of work, I was able to make such a menu background.

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
I'm not used to using HS Studio in general terms. It felt unnecessarily complicated. It took me a long time to get used to even trying having my character move and pose in a certain place. It is quite difficult to adjust the camera angles. After a lot of work, I was able to make such a menu background.
I feel you.

Honestly, this background looks great!

I can't say that other studios will be easier. Daz is really cool, but depending on what you want to render, it can take hours to get your images out, and there's not a lot of premade animations on it. Still, it's probably the one other option I'd try if I were you. But, otherwise, if you're able to make great images like this, I'd say it's best to persevere. With more time, you'll gain familiarity and probably be able to speed up the process.

Kane_Freeman

Dec 10, 2020
I feel you.

Honestly, this background looks great!

I can't say that other studios will be easier. Daz is really cool, but depending on what you want to render, it can take hours to get your images out, and there's not a lot of premade animations on it. Still, it's probably the one other option I'd try if I were you. But, otherwise, if you're able to make great images like this, I'd say it's best to persevere. With more time, you'll gain familiarity and probably be able to speed up the process.
I think I'll try to get used to it. Thank you for the advice. By the way, I'm having a hard time finding places like the school hallway in HS. Do you have any advice about this?

Nov 21, 2020
The simpler a studio is, the less options it offers.

It's fine to take a while in the beginning while you're learning the ropes. After a while it will become second nature.
Even if you think starting with a simpler studio will help you, it won't. Eventually you'll have to learn more advanced ones if you want to make quality games.

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
I think I'll try to get used to it. Thank you for the advice. By the way, I'm having a hard time finding places like the school hallway in HS. Do you have any advice about this?
There is a tool to update your studio with additional content. Ehhh, I am not on my computer so I can't check the name of it (and, for the life of me, I can't remember it either). If you use that, you'll be getting a lot of additional content to supplement what there already is in the studio. Other than that, if it's backgrounds you want, those can easily be added by simply finding images and adding them to the background folder. For maps, it's kinda similar, although finding the maps might be a little more complex than simply finding an image. I know that I was able to find some of them by searching for honey select assets via any search engine, but as I said, I kinda went around a lot of engines, so I didn't spend enough time with HS to be fully familiar with all of it's intricacies.